Apple has reportedly solved the AirPower overheating problem

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
A new product leak claims that the Apple AirPower "C68" project has resolved the problem with the Apple Watch causing drastic overheating of the three-device charging pad.

The original and never released AirPower wireless charging mat
The original and never released AirPower wireless charging mat

A new leak from Jon Prosser claims to show an Apple Watch being charged on a "C68," the codename for an AirPower wireless charging plate. It's significant because it suggests that Apple has resolved the key overheating issue that is believed to be why the AirPower project was previously cancelled.

Well, you guys wanted a better picture of "C68"...

Remember how I said that the main problem was that current prototypes didn't support Apple Watch?

Yeah.
Well.

They got the Watch working... pic.twitter.com/LvBeNAAtt3

-- Jon Prosser (@jon_prosser)

Previously, Apple refused to explain why it had cancelled its long-delayed AirPower product. Instead, Senior Vice President Dan Riccio just made a brief statement to AppleInsider and other publications in March 2019.

"After much effort, we've concluded AirPower will not achieve our high standards and we have cancelled the project," he said. "We apologize to those customers who were looking forward to this launch. We continue to believe that the future is wireless and are committed to push the wireless experience forward."

Subsequently, Prosser reported that it was due to overheating -- and overheating to the point of combustion. The Apple Watch's proprietary wireless charging system required more energy than other devices.

AirPower was supposed to allow you to place multiple devices -- such as Apple Watch, iPhone, and AirPods -- anywhere on its surface and be charged. However, according to Prosser, "if you placed an Apple Watch on the mat alongside other devices, the entire mat would overheat."

Prosser had reported that the "C68" prototype devices under test earlier this year had added an A11 processor in order to manage heat. He says that those prototypes wouldn't support the Apple Watch, and now they do.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    Alright Jerm. Thanks for the info. I’m looking forward to some AirPower goodness. Great job Apple engineers!!
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    I’ll wait for V2.0 :-)
    dewmewelshdograzorpitllamaMisterKit
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Already bought the Nomad version, so too late. I don’t understand a solution that doesn’t allow the Apple Watch to be charged on its side to enable nightstand mode. Maybe Apple added that in this newer version, though. 
  • Reply 4 of 24
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Tempted to say that ship has sailed, but we will see.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 24
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Already bought the Nomad version, so too late. I don’t understand a solution that doesn’t allow the Apple Watch to be charged on its side to enable nightstand mode. Maybe Apple added that in this newer version, though. 
    There is no "Nomad version." Among the differences, AirPower has more than 20 charging coils, which allows placing iPhones, AirPods, and Apple Watches anywhere on the pad for charging.  Nomad has three coils, and the device has to be placed exactly on that coil.  AirPower also allows monitoring charging state for any device on any other device.
    igorskythtStrangeDaysrazorpitcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    The photos are possibly(read likely) fake - review the reply tweets.

- The image where the devices aren't charging is a lightning cable
    - The image where the devices are charging is not the same cable, or anything like Apple's cables
    - There are various AirPower knock off devices, such as the one pictured below.

edited June 2020 elijahgwonkothesanewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    An A11 processor in a charging pad? - at first I thought this is total overkill, since you would think that you only need a basic ASIC and a sensor to measure temperature and throttle current in response. This is a ‘smart charging pad’ that could communicate with each device! They are designing this the Apple way. Also if true about the A11 that gives some insight into how inexpensive these processors are to make.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    I'll get two. Need to get an iPhone and AirPods Pro with induction charging first though, which I'm slated to this Fall. Still living with an iPhone 6S Plus.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Fatman said:
    An A11 processor in a charging pad? - at first I thought this is total overkill, since you would think that you only need a basic ASIC and a sensor to measure temperature and throttle current in response. This is a ‘smart charging pad’ that could communicate with each device! They are designing this the Apple way. Also if true about the A11 that gives some insight into how inexpensive these processors are to make.
    Or how expensive AirPower will be.
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingamlkruppllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    I have the Nomad ones (both types - with and without Apple Watch charging) but it has its own share of issue. More frequent than not, precise positioning of device is required, especially for AirPods and AirPods Pro. Lost count on occasions when my wife or myself thought the AirPods or AirPods Pro is charging but ended up not charged. After much observations, it seems the LED will light up initially but then it went off within a minute or two, and it did not charge up despite leaving it overnight, simply becoz the position is not quite right.

If Apple is to release the AirPower, I will definitely get at least one for home use, and just bring the Nomad to office.
    viclauyycStrangeDaysGG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Fatman said:

If true, that would be an good way for Apple to solve its lack of HomeKit hubs.   Right now you have to buy one of either an iPad, HomePod, or AppleTV -- all of which are fairly expensive -- particularly if you don't want or need the product and only want a hub.   Conversely, everybody can use a charger.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    Fatman said:

If true, that would be an good way for Apple to solve its lack of HomeKit hubs.   Right now you have to buy one of either an iPad, HomePod, or AppleTV -- all of which are fairly expensive -- particularly if you don't want or need the product and only want a hub.   Conversely, everybody can use a charger.
    Everyone can use a charger, but not everyone wants or needs a wireless one.  I often use my devices while they are charging.  That's pretty much impossible with any wireless charger I have ever seen.

Also, a flat charger for a watch is a non-starter.  Anyone with a one piece band would have to either remove one end or slide the band under the charging pad.  Just no, thank you very much.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    We have one of the other brands, Native Union, sold in the Apple Stores. It's certainly not perfect -- two coils so you have to be precise when landing it. Watch charging via an external USB cable attachment. And it uses its own wall power cable. 

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HN6H2ZM/A/native-union-drop-xl-wireless-charging-pad

If an AirPower is released that does three devices, no extra cables or Watch docks, and uses a Lightning cable, I am in for sure. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    Fatman said:
    Or how expensive AirPower will be.
    This was exactly what I thought! I'm glad Apple seems to have worked out the bug and will ship this. But I use my Watch in Nightstand mode so AP won't do for me. Maybe in v2.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Scratching off Xmas wish list now...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    spice-boy said:
    Scratching off Xmas wish list now...
    How could it be on your wishlist, considering they canceled it last year? Now that it’s rumored to be coming back you’re removing it?
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 264member
    Not exploding into flames is a good thing.

As opposed, say, to some PowerBook 5300 and certain more recent MacBook Pro batteries.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    razmatazrazmataz Posts: 24member

We have such a charger that charges multiple iDevices (3). It works fine, even with the AirPods if you get the right protective case.

However at home we found little use for it. It is not convenient to move this charging pad around and we're all charging in random places during the day, often while using the phone or AirPod. And often in need of a long charging cable (think sitting at the other end of the couch from the "charging station"). At night it could work if you park your stuff before you go to bed and don't use until morning. But that doesn't happen often with us. Otherwise you end up fumbling around when you try to put it back, especially if something is already on there. If you charge more than one phone, then someone is bound to not see their phone until morning. This is a single user device.

So now it is at the office cubicle where you sit in one place all day. Works just fine, occupies some desk space. But with so many USB charging ports in the modern cubicle its usefulness is questionable in relation to a USB cable you can take to a conference room. It saves on the plug in time, which is not much.

So a bit of buyer's remorse on this one. When it works as intended and you don't find it useful, in retrospect it seems obvious this was not for us.

• Reply 19 of 24
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    We have one of the other brands, Native Union, sold in the Apple Stores. It's certainly not perfect -- two coils so you have to be precise when landing it. Watch charging via an external USB cable attachment. And it uses its own wall power cable. 

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HN6H2ZM/A/native-union-drop-xl-wireless-charging-pad

If an AirPower is released that does three devices, no extra cables or Watch docks, and uses a Lightning cable, I am in for sure. 
    I have a similar one on my desk that I got on Amazon for under $30 and it works fine for a place to set my iPhone and AirPods while working. Nothing fancy but it does the job. 

CHOETECH Dual Fast Wireless Charger, 5 Coils Qi Certified Double Wireless Charging Pad Suitable iPhone SE 2020/11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max/XS Max/XS/X Samsung Galaxy S20/Note10/S10,AirPods Pro(No AC Adapter) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PYQQ1R7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_T196Eb624E4X7

watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

Fatman said:

What makes you think AirPower could function as a Homekit Hub? Just because it has an A chip doesn’t mean it’s running iOS. What makes you think this thing is going to be cheaper than an ATV? 
    watto_cobra