Apple has rejected Facebook Gaming app at least five times

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has rejected the submission of the Facebook Gaming app to the App Store at least five times since February.

Credit: Facebook
Credit: Facebook

Facebook announced its Facebook Gaming app back in April amid coronavirus lockdown restrictions. The free app, which is available on Android, lets users play simple HTML5 games with friends and watch live streams of other players.

According to The New York Times, Facebook originally submitted the app to Apple in February. It was denied on Section 4.7 of Apple's guidelines, which prohibit HTML5 games in a "store or store-like interface."

After the original rejection, Facebook changed the design of the app in several ways -- including removing colorful icons, categories and the ability to sort games. Apple apparently said no to each of those submissions.

Facebook is reportedly "weighing its next move," which could include launching Facebook Gaming without games at all or with games that are harder to find. That would leave only the gaming streams and social networking aspects of the app.

The report comes amid increased antitrust scrutiny for Apple and its App Store dealings. The Cupertino tech giant is currently the target of a Justice Department probe into its App Store practices.

Earlier in the week, Apple generated some controversy for reportedly pressuring an email app called "Hey" to add in-app purchase options for subscriptions -- a capability it lacked to skirt Apple's 30% App Store fees.

Apple has its own gaming service in the form of Apple Arcade, a $4.99-a-month subscription that allows users to play exclusive titles on iPhone, iPad, Mac and other devices in Apple's lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I certainly have no pity for Facebook, but this is going to invite quite a bit of scrutiny on Apple’s part.  Given the building outrage in Washington over the behavior of big tech, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Apple have a serious problem with this kind of thing.  Facebook, Google, and Twitter are in the crosshairs too.  I think Google is the next Bell Telephone.  
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I see Zuck hot footing it to the FTC and crying wolf (again).

How about launching your own phone then Mr Zuck? Then you can stop all Apple Apps in retaliation for their very sensible move.
    IMHO, anything to take Facebook and all the other so called 'social media' platforms down a few pegs is good in my eyes. They are highly addictive (by design). You won't find me on any of them.
    qwerty52aderuttercat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member

How about launching your own phone then Mr Zuck?
    https://www.cnet.com/news/heres-why-the-facebook-phone-flopped/
    sphericmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So Facebook is basically trying to launch its own app store, inside the Apple Store.

Got it.

aderuttersphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    If it's just HTML5 games and video streams then why not just create a mobile website?  Does it gain much from being an app?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    crowley said:
    If it's just HTML5 games and video streams then why not just create a mobile website?  Does it gain much from being an app?
    Agreed, this isn’t an “app”. Apple needs to crack down much harder on “apps” that are not apps, especially glorified app-wrapped websites.
    Everyone wants to wrap their website in an app-shell purely because they think the App Store will provide them with more visibility, great uptake and less marketing costs. Apple should be harder with these companies not weaker.
    cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    aderutter said:
    crowley said:
    Agreed, this isn’t an “app”. Apple needs to crack down much harder on “apps” that are not apps, especially glorified app-wrapped websites.
    Everyone wants to wrap their website in an app-shell purely because they think the App Store will provide them with more visibility, great uptake and less marketing costs. Apple should be harder with these companies not weaker.
    Better solutions for web apps would be a good compromise - e.g. adding a webapp to an iPhone home screen is buried in a menu, it'd be good if Apple allowed a website to access this function via script (with user confirmation of course) so that you could have an effective WebApp Store.  Also, launching a web app from the home screen just launches Safari, if they could launch into an isolated web view without any chrome, so it looked more like an app, that'd also be great.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    crowley said:
    Of course it does! 

The second you're on the free web, you get distracted and aren't bound to the platform. That's why Facebook, Insta et al. make it so difficult to leave the app — they add in-app web browsers, viewers for everything and anything: They wouldn't need to, because everything already exists on the device. But the second you've left the app, you're off the platform, and the risk of staying off the platform for a while is way higher than if you were looking at an in-app viewer. 
    muthuk_vanalingamforegoneconclusionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,930member
    sdw2001 said:
    I certainly have no pity for Facebook, but this is going to invite quite a bit of scrutiny on Apple’s part.  Given the building outrage in Washington over the behavior of big tech, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Apple have a serious problem with this kind of thing.  Facebook, Google, and Twitter are in the crosshairs too.  I think Google is the next Bell Telephone.  
    Agreed. Nothing would make me happier than to see Facebook implode, but as others have pointed out, the current scrutiny being applied to big tech makes this a potential hot potato. 

crowley said:
    Yeah, that was my thought, too. It’s also a likely defense for Apple and a justification of the rule. If it’s simply HTML5, they are losing nothing by not being on the App Store. 
    watto_cobra