Apple's virtual CarKey launching with iOS 14, coming to iOS 13

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2020
During its virtual WWDC keynote, Apple showed off a new way to access your vehicle: CarKey. CarKey is a quick, virtual way to unlock and start your car with just your iPhone.

CarKey settings
Settings for CarKey

Starting with the new 2021 BMW 5 Series, users are able to tap their iPhone to the door handle to unlock the door. Once inside, you just place your phone on the Qi wireless charger and press the ignition button.

CarKey is coming to the BMW 2021 5 Series
CarKey is coming to the BMW 2021 5 Series

Apple touts the security benefits of a virtual key due to its ability to be remotely deactivated via iCloud. Keys can also be shared seamlessly through the Messages.

Additional cars will be supporting CarKey in the future. CarKey will be coming not only to iOS 14, but iOS 13 as well. Timetables for roll-out are not yet clear.

CarPlay is receiving many other updates as part of iOS 14 as well. It has new background options as well as new categories including parking, EV charging, and quick food ordering.

Stay tuned to AppleInsider for additional coverage of WWDC 2020.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I prefer Tesla app which I don’t even need to take it out of the pocket to nake it work😂
    mike1anantksundaramchemengin1
  • Reply 2 of 11
    There’s only a couple things I really care about with CarPlay right now. One is for an Apple approved dongle, whether it be 1st or 3rd party, for wireless CarPlay in older cars. The other is to have the current temperature on the CarPlay home screen. An awesome feature that will probably never happen would be for CarPlay to have access to the GPS in my car, so when we go somewhere with spotty cell service I can still get navigation with Apple Maps or Waze. 
    Scot1
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    I guess CarKey would be good in an emergency, but having to take out the phone to tap the door handle is a step backwards. These cars already have keyless entry.
    SpamSandwichchemengin1anantksundaram
  • Reply 4 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Still not sold on this as it seems like a real risk to security of a vehicle. My mind might be changed if I see real world use and the benefits.
    edited June 2020 davgreg
  • Reply 5 of 11
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    fallenjt said:
    I prefer Tesla app which I don’t even need to take it out of the pocket to nake it work😂
    Probably because their cars have hardware other than NFC. It would seem that the basic system they demonstrated here was just NFC for some kind of universality. When more cars will be fitted with the new standard, the U1 chip will allow that possibility as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Still not sold on this as it seems like a real risk to security of a vehicle. My mind might be changed if I see real world use and the benefits.

With no disrespect intended, this looks to be the same argument against the use of Apple Pay.  Here are the advantages I see for having a phone key:
    1.  Two factor authentication.  You need to have the physical device and be able to log into it to use the car.  (I may be making this up - I was listening to the presentation when this part came on).  A key stolen only needs to be taken, and the holder has full access tot the car.
    2.  Lost keys no more - We're soon to become a keyless society (soon = 20 years), where keys for high value items will be thing of the past.
    3.  Lower cost solution - that new key for the BMW I drive is $250 and I have to show my ID, proof of ownership, and wait a few days to get it.  How do I drive it if I'm in California and my key falls in the sewer, and the spare is in South Carolina?

For your points... what happens when I sell my keyless car?  How does the new owner instantly void all of the keys out there?  That's where I see your point.  Do I have to go to the car manufacturer and tell them that I don't own the car anymore?  How about the potential thieves that would rip people off?

I guess I talked myself to your point of view... ;)

SpamSandwichJapheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    jony0 said:
    fallenjt said:
    I prefer Tesla app which I don’t even need to take it out of the pocket to nake it workߘ⦬t;/div>
    Probably because their cars have hardware other than NFC. It would seem that the basic system they demonstrated here was just NFC for some kind of universality. When more cars will be fitted with the new standard, the U1 chip will allow that possibility as well.
    It has Both Bluetooth and Wifi Connections. Somehow Tesla makes it work only if your phone is close to the door that you need to open. For example, if I’m in driver’s side, someone else can’t open passenger’s door until I open driver’s door first.
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 8 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    My Jaguar and my wife's Volvo both open now with iPhones now but by using an App and I am sure many other vehicles do too, so I wonder if this previous tech could somehow be wrapped into this without having to buy a new Jaguar, I only just bought it lol.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    fallenjt said:
    Pretty sure they said you could leave your phone in a bag or whatever.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    I wonder if there will be a 3rd party device to allow Carshare services to use the Carkey as a member card.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    What was not mentioned is the monthly fees BMW plans to charge for this feature!!
    watto_cobra