Apple unveils plans to ditch Intel chips in Macs for 'Apple Silicon'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 342
    elijahg said:
    Great that they're supporting Docker and virtualisation, but absolutely no info as to whether you'll be able to run x86 Windows.
    I expect that no mention means "no."  Given the multiple call outs that Microsoft got, it would been easy (and powerful) to mention Windows in the Virtualization segment if they had any interest in supporting that.
    edited June 2020 cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 342
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    We know one system that will run the Apple Silicon -- Mac Pro. That's what they were demoing the products on.

And as I figured, we'll be able to run the iOS and iPadOS apps on the new machines. How many millions of apps will be available on day one? 

And, developers will get another platform to sell their apps on -- more cashflow. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 342
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    beng said:
    So, will Rosetta 2 run 32 bit apps?
    If Catalina doesn't run 32 bit apps, why would Rosetta 2 run them? 
    cat52JWSChcrefugeethtchiaMisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 342
    It's crazy that this will not only bring iPhone/iPad apps to Mac, but now Mac apps will be so easily brought to iPad. Will make it really easy for any developer interested in bringing their apps to any small screen they want. iPads were already the best tablet in town, now they're the future of computing. 

I think the next big story will be hardware designs, the next MacBook will could be the thinnest laptop ever made.
    edited June 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 342
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    crowley said:
    Maybe I missed it, but I haven't heard them say ARM once.  I wonder if that means anything.
    A12Z in that Mac.  That spells Apple’s ARM reference designs.
    a hawkins said:
    crowley said:
    Maybe I missed it, but I haven't heard them say ARM once.  I wonder if that means anything.
    Apple CPU = ARM. They never mentioned it in iPhone and iPad since Apple A4. But we all knew it.
    You two are missing his point. Crowley knows what it means. His astute observation was on not mentioning "ARM" specifically.
  • Reply 26 of 342
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    Sad! grab an Intel Mac Pro while you can. ARM Macs will be inferior in performance. 

• Reply 27 of 342
    apple ][ said:
    I'm just going to pretend that I didn't watch the first minute or two of the keynote and ignore any politics.
    How horrible that someone considers the rights of others. /s  This wouldn't be political to you if you started believing that people of color deserve equal rights.
    edited June 2020 tmayrundhvidhcrefugeeChris_Pelhammacky the mackyAppleZulufastasleepOferraoulduke42chia
  • Reply 28 of 342
    Rayz2016 said:
    Holy sh*t

ios and iPadOS apps running natively
    Docker
    Linux VM

Adobe on board. 
    Microsoft on board 

Bye bye Intel. 
    What happened to Intel?  They seem to be in the same funk they were in back in 2005.  They came out with the Core chips that helped break them out.  Oh yeah, will Microsoft OS's run on the VM?  I'd love to get my Servers over there as well.  I fell asleep (long night - also getting sick...)during the presentation.
    edited June 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 342
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Excellent news and awesome presentation. Tim mentioned new Intel based Macs still being in the release pipeline and a two year transition period. There’s no way I could see myself purchasing a non Apple silicon Mac at this point but I suppose businesses still need to get work done during the transition. 

Overall this is an absolutely brilliant move by Apple. I also like the fact that they’re calling it Apple Silicon rather than ARM. They deserve to give credit where it’s due, to Apple’s design team. 
    randominternetpersontmayhcrefugeeJWSCOferroundaboutnowjony0viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 342
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    johnbear said:
    Sad! grab an Intel Mac Pro while you can. ARM Macs will be inferior in performance. 

Source?
    fastasleepnarwhalchiaspock1234uraharajony0Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 342
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    I’m amazed they demoed Maya (and gaming) using Rosetta 2. I’m going to guess that 3D/animation apps are all going to be needing to be on Metal already in order to work in Rosetta (or at least work well?) but I’m beyond excited for this!

Guess we’ll be waiting to see the new iMac, wonder when that’ll launch. 

Agreed... That was a fairly demanding x64 application, ran through an ISA translator on an A12Z!!! Can’t imagine how powerful these “Mac” SoCs are really going to be.

Was very impressive.

Makes me wonder if their virtualization technology basically allows the creation of virtual x64 cores that make use of Rosetta 2?
    cat52randominternetpersonJWSCviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 342
    Slick marketing presentation. Meanwhile, I am going to continue running my MacPro 5,1 as my daily driver. If it ain't broke... especially in this economy. 
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 342
    johnbear said:

Wow, I can't believe you said that! Raaaawwhhh! You're an internet troll!
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 342
    apple ][ said:
    Xed said:
    apple ][ said:
    I'm just going to pretend that I didn't watch the first minute or two of the keynote and ignore any politics.
    How horrible that someone considers human rights of others. This wouldn't be political to you if you started believing that people of color deserve equal rights.
    It's political crap and I reject it.
    Funny how only racists think equal rights for people of color is "political." Everyone else just things it's ethical.
    edited June 2020 tmayrundhvidhcrefugeeChris_Pelhamkiltedgreenmacplusplusmacky the mackymikeincadewmefastasleep
  • Reply 35 of 342
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    That 10-year or older 720p webcam they haven’t changed in the 2020 MacBook pros but they want to change the cpu to an inferior product 
  • Reply 36 of 342
    johnbear said:
    That 10-year or older 720p webcam they haven’t changed in the 2020 MacBook pros but they want to change the cpu to an inferior product 
    There you are again! Raawwwhrhr! Get off of here you little troll!
    cat52macky the mackyRayz2016narwhalroundaboutnowchiajax44spock1234jony0Beats
  • Reply 37 of 342
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    As a presentation to allay fears about the transition, this was very good.

The most important apps - native. No worries.

But the app is x86? No worries, look at this x86 game running at full speed after Rosetta 2 load-time translation!

Advanced virtualisation needs - all there. I imagine that part of that virtualisation also has Rosetta 2 underneath it to run other platforms - using the JIT capability (load time performance hit).

There will be problems, of course. That's why the "Apple Silicon" Mac Pro is likely 2 years off.

That this ran on a tablet processor makes it even more impressive.
    daveinpublichcrefugeeAppleSince1976chicknarwhaljony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 342
    larryjw said:
    We know one system that will run the Apple Silicon -- Mac Pro. That's what they were demoing the products on.

Actually that's not true.  It was running on a custom prototype.  You're confusing the monitor with the MacPro hardware.
    tmaynubusJWSCfastasleepheadfull0winerazorpitchicknarwhalDeelronjdb8167
  • Reply 39 of 342

patioMacPro said:
    OMG!  Just Wow!

TG I didn't buy a new Mac Pro!
    I'm thinking of daughterboards that have the intel or ARM chips on them...

JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 342
    nubusnubus Posts: 380member
    1. The new MacBooks must bring touch screens. The interface and iOS compatibility features are screaming for touch.
    2. Mac Pro users lost again - if lucky they might be able to reuse their wheels :smiley: 
    3. Linux compatible but no word on Windows?
    4. If Messages is the most important Mac app and Safari is mainly for Pinterest... then this marks then end of the Mac for corporate use. Tim said PERSONAL computer. Don't expect docks or any focus on knowledge workers beyond group chat. iOS 14 uses AI to organize apps - but macOS doesn't use AI to organize documents or mix them with side panels showing related mails, chats,... that is super disappointing.
    Don't get why Apple will launch more hardware using Intel. I don't even get how they will they sell their existing "built on a terrible platform with no future" products?