Apple unveils plans to ditch Intel chips in Macs for 'Apple Silicon'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 342
    nubusnubus Posts: 382member
    lkrupp said:

AppleZulu said:
    Remember all those peanuts in the peanut gallery who were cursing Tim Cook because Apple was "abandoning the Mac?" 
    They are abandoning the Mac. The new machines will be just be iPads with a few tweaks. 
    Mac users have for years been given nothing but emojis by Apple.
    elijahg
  • Reply 62 of 342
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    johnbear said:
    Sad! grab an Intel Mac Pro while you can. ARM Macs will be inferior in performance. 

Either you didn’t watch the presentation, or you’re just being deliberately ignorant.
    SpamSandwichkiltedgreenJWSCfastasleepnarwhalmacky the mackyAppleSince1976roundaboutnowDeelronchia
  • Reply 63 of 342
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Peza said:
    Well this was the best WEDC keynote they’ve ever done, probably the best use of that new theatre since it was built too.
    I do like the new Apple Watch, iPhone and iPads features, even if they are ripped straight from Android.. 

But.. I think Apple could have just killed the Mac, they are asking a lot from development houses here. And when your total market share globally is in single digits, I’m not sure many will comply, most did it for Intel as that’s the platform PCs use anyway, so it was easy, but now asking them to make effectively two apps, one for PC’s and one for Macs and iPads and iPhones, I’m not so sure many will want to do that, or, you’ll end up with a severely less capable app from the iPhone running in your new Max with Apple silicone.
    You have no idea what is going on. Developers don’t write code for the chip. They write code for the OS which provides an intermediate set of software libraries. And those libraries are  being updated to produce universal code for intel or Apple silicon. 

So for most it’s a recompile. Craig said “a few days” but that’s the extreme. For the rest it’s less than a day.

Ios developers are not Mac developers in general, but this allows iPhone apps to run in a single window, with touch/click interfaces.

That’s not the best strategy though so some might move to catalyst which allows them to get a better look and feel on the Mac. 

And there are more iPhone users than Mac users so this may encourage those to move over. 
    edited June 2020 randominternetpersondewmerundhvidfastasleepnarwhalAppleSince1976Deelronchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 342
    crowley said:
    Maybe I missed it, but I haven't heard them say ARM once.  I wonder if that means anything.
    I wouldn't read into that at all. The current A series chips are ARM
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 342
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

johnbear said:
    That 10-year or older 720p webcam they haven’t changed in the 2020 MacBook pros but they want to change the cpu to an inferior product 
    There you are again! Raawwwhrhr! Get off of here you little troll!
    Yeah, that’s exactly what he is. If I was still a mod I would talk to him about it.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 342
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    mjtomlin said:
    macxpress said:
    No word on Windows support? That's gonna be a deal breaker for some.

Why do people think that whenever something new comes out, everything old just stops working. Those people can just buy an Intel Mac, which will still be supported for years. If there aren’t any new ones sold, they can always buy a used one cheaper.

Apples idea of years seems to be 5. Yes it’s correct as it’s ‘years’, but I don’t know many people who buy new Macs every 5 years.
    elijahg
  • Reply 67 of 342
    melgross said:

johnbear said:
    That 10-year or older 720p webcam they haven’t changed in the 2020 MacBook pros but they want to change the cpu to an inferior product 
    There you are again! Raawwwhrhr! Get off of here you little troll!
    Yeah, that’s exactly what he is. If I was still a mod I would talk to him about it.
    I was more so making fun of the typical troll dropping what they think is an inflammatory remark in the comment section and then waiting for responses.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 342
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Best WWDC keynote in years. Straight to the point, no interacting with a life audience, pre-recorded is they doctor get it right without hiccups and keep it tightly scripted.  They should do it this way every year, with apologies to the live audience who would love to be present.  
    I have to agree. I don’t need a “laugh track” to know if something is funny and I don’t need an applauding audience to know something is cool.
    Pezarazorpitcanukstormjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 342
    Outside of Tomb Raider (running 1080P at an unnoticeably high FPS), were the other A12Z macOS demos running at the Apple Pro Display native 6k rez?
    edited June 2020 Pezawatto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 342
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    johnbear said:
    Sad! grab an Intel Mac Pro while you can. ARM Macs will be inferior in performance. 

What are your underlying assumptions that would draw you to that conclusion?  While power management is important for laptops, imagine what might be possible if you take the gloves off on a desktop SoC architecture that doesn’t need to worry about power management.
    fastasleepnarwhalAppleSince1976chiauraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 342
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    johnbear said:

A tablet chip running FCPX with 3x 4K streams & live filters? You’re clearly wrong.
    The Mac Pro was always just an appeasement product.  Whilst users are clearly qualified to know what software applications best suit their business workflows, they aren’t qualified to know what OS/hardware design is best to support that software.  It was clear that Apple thought professionals should be using an iMac Pro not a Mac Pro hence the release schedule.
    JWSCfastasleepnarwhalAppleSince1976Deelronchiajony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 342
    If the road this ends up going down means the same apps on a Mac are the same apps on an iPad, then surely Apples PC market share is going to shrink even further, everyone will just buy a much cheaper iPad. 

I’m not questioning Apples silicone prowess here, I’m questioning if developers will follow them down the path. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 73 of 342
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Anybody else notice the macOS version number?  11, and not 10.16.  Seems apropos.
    edited June 2020 nubusRayz2016narwhalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 342
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Peza said:
    mjtomlin said:

Why do people think that whenever something new comes out, everything old just stops working. Those people can just buy an Intel Mac, which will still be supported for years. If there aren’t any new ones sold, they can always buy a used one cheaper.

Apples idea of years seems to be 5. Yes it’s correct as it’s ‘years’, but I don’t know many people who buy new Macs every 5 years.
    Shhhh - my 2012 MacBook Pro which has been supported for 8 years (& which I'm typing on now) might hear & get all confused!!
    PezaAppleSince1976watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 342
    apple1991 said:
    Apple Silicon = touch based Macs? 
    Nope.
    JWSCraoulduke42chiauraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 342
    asdasd said:
    johnbear said:

Source?
    He pulled that right out of his nether regions...
    asdasdjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 342
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    johnbear said:
    ‘Inferior’ - dumb comment of the day!
    kiltedgreennarwhalroundaboutnowchiauraharajony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 342
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    hattig said:
    As a presentation to allay fears about the transition, this was very good.

The most important apps - native. No worries.

But the app is x86? No worries, look at this x86 game running at full speed after Rosetta 2 load-time translation!

Advanced virtualisation needs - all there. I imagine that part of that virtualisation also has Rosetta 2 underneath it to run other platforms - using the JIT capability (load time performance hit).

There will be problems, of course. That's why the "Apple Silicon" Mac Pro is likely 2 years off.

That this ran on a tablet processor makes it even more impressive.
    Caveat.  That was x86 code using Metal.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 342
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    I’m wondering if the OS transfers to Apple A chips, will there be a reduction in system files that would translate into a snappier Mac. For years I have put off buying a new Mac because of the initial impression of the new OS appearing bloated, especially during startup and shutdown. Sometimes it’s the apps taking a long time to close, sometimes it looks like Finder is busy and takes noticeably longer than an old Mac running Mavericks. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 342
    adyb said:
    Peza said:
    mjtomlin said:

Shhhh - my 2012 MacBook Pro which has been supported for 8 years (& which I'm typing on now) might hear & get all confused!!
    Haha, I was thinking of the hardware support I think? My 2010 no longer gets updates though, only the odd security patch..