Apple's new Find My accessory program goes beyond iPhones and tracking fobs

Posted:
in iOS edited October 2020
With iOS 14, Apple is set to expand the use of the Find My app by finally allow the integration of third-party tracking devices such as those from Tile via a new accessory program.

Apple is rumored to be working on tracking devices of its own
Apple is rumored to be working on tracking devices of its own

Apple replaced Find My Friends with iOS 13, giving way to the Find My app that combined the Find My Friends and Find My iPhone apps. It was limited to solely Apple products, however. Macs, iPads, Apple Watch, AirPods would all have their location highlighted in the app. But iOS 14 now brings that to third-party gear.

The new Find My network accessory program allows any other important items to show within the Find My app which can include anything from object trackers such as Tile or any other devices that can be integrated into the platform. Apple hasn't noted one way or the other, but it is likely many types of devices could be included here such as remotes, portable speakers, et cetera.
Find My will add support for finding third-party products and accessories with the new Find My network accessory program. This will allow customers to use the Find My app to locate other important items in their lives, in addition to their Apple devices. User privacy remains central to the Find My network with end-to-end encryption built-in.
Apple says the first release of the Find My network accessory program spec is available now and will launch of users this fall with iOS 14.

It has been rumored for a long while that Apple is developing its own tracking solution for other objects, similar to Tile's approach.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    So Tile is not doomed, yet at least, in fact, Apple is enhancing their built-in features. This is an interesting approach. 

watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 210member
    Where are the Air Tags? 
    razorpitnicholfdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    dutchlord said:
    Where are the Air Tags? 
    It's possible they were mythical. People heard about these improvements and thought they were for an Apple product. Or it was a rumor that Apple itself let out to smoke out people in house who were leaking.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 8
    FlytrapFlytrap Posts: 60member
    Well played, Apple. Restricting access to the U1 chip to only Apple-branded Air Tags would certainly attract unwelcome anti-trust attention... especially from the European Commission. Now it is a level competitive playing field... for both Tiles and Air Tags...  or is it... really !?

With every accessory maker now having direct access to the same Find My APIs as Tile, why does anyone still need Tile... Surely most accessory manufacturers will eventually integrate their accessories directly into the Find My API... then any Apple device with the ultra-wide-band (UWB) U1 chip built-in will be able to detect and report lost accessories that can transmit a short-range radio signal such as Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, RFID, Key Cards, etc. in the Find My app.

According to ETSI (European version of FCC), the following categories of consumer devices can be detected by Apple's U1 UWB chip:
    • Baby Monitors
    • Alarm Systems
    • Access Cards
    • Digital Car Keys
    • Bluetooth, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Devices
    • Zigbee Devices
    • Digital Transmission Systems (DTS)
    • RFID Tags
    • Remote Control Cars
    • NFC Tags
    • MiFare Tags and Stickers
    • Wide Band Medical Telemetry Systems (WMTS)
    • Real-Time Location Systems (RTLS)

StrangeDaysjony0F_Kent_D
  • Reply 5 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    DAalseth said:
    dutchlord said:
    Where are the Air Tags? 
    It's possible they were mythical. People heard about these improvements and thought they were for an Apple product. Or it was a rumor that Apple itself let out to smoke out people in house who were leaking.
    Nope

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/09/20/apple-tags-user-interface-discovered-in-internal-build-of-ios-13
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/04/02/unreleased-airtags-name-spotted-in-apples-own-support-video

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Flytrap said:
    Well played, Apple. Restricting access to the U1 chip to only Apple-branded Air Tags would certainly attract unwelcome anti-trust attention... especially from the European Commission. Now it is a level competitive playing field... for both Tiles and Air Tags...  or is it... really !?

With every accessory maker now having direct access to the same Find My APIs as Tile, why does anyone still need Tile... Surely most accessory manufacturers will eventually integrate their accessories directly into the Find My API... then any Apple device with the ultra-wide-band (UWB) U1 chip built-in will be able to detect and report lost accessories that can transmit a short-range radio signal such as Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, RFID, Key Cards, etc. in the Find My app.

According to ETSI (European version of FCC), the following categories of consumer devices can be detected by Apple's U1 UWB chip:
    • Baby Monitors
    • Alarm Systems
    • Access Cards
    • Digital Car Keys
    • Zigbee Devices
    • RFID Tags
    • Remote Control Cars
    • NFC Tags

Wow.  

Losing track of your baby. 
    That’s bad parenting. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I would think this s is a slap  of the  face (or surface) of Tile due to it  favoring to listen to  rumors rather than talk to Apple directly.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/29/21274709/apple-tile-european-commission-eu-complaint-app-store-iphone-response

Since every hardware  OEM  gets equal access to the U1 chip, the  company who can sell the cheapest will will get the most customers.  Let us see where Tile will end up after a year.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Flytrap said:

• Baby Monitors
    • Alarm Systems
    • Access Cards
    • Digital Car Keys
    • Zigbee Devices
    • RFID Tags
    • Remote Control Cars
    • NFC Tags

Wow.  

Losing track of your baby. 
    That’s bad parenting. 
    We just need injectable AirTags mini for that.
    watto_cobra