Lovely statistics...

newnew
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
about 550 civilians

to 52 "Coalition soldiers" (that's "invading forces" to everybody not from the UK/US).

that's 10 to 1. civilians.

No numbers on iraq soldiers, but we're probably close to rounding the 10.000 mark.

Trigger happy...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 151
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Heh...I like this quote from a British soldier:

"How come somebody who is a top-notch Thunderbolt pilot can't tell what a British tank looks like. I think someone in the Pentagon or somewhere needs to sort something out there."

Apparently he doesn't know one top-notch British Challenger tank commander killed two of his comrades in another Challenger tank...something the article does mention, at least.

On the battleground, it's easy to become disoriented or trigger-happy. Self-preservation is innate behavior after all. i wonder if the A-10 pilot got the impression he was being fired upon somehow...The same can be said for the tank commander.
  • Reply 2 of 151
    [edit: self righteous rant removed]
  • Reply 3 of 151
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    How many were killed by Iraq and how many did Saddam rape, murder, torture and ethnically clean?

Oh ****! We don't care about that. We only care about anti-american claims!
  • Reply 4 of 151
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    New is getting Old.
  • Reply 5 of 151
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Oh ****! We don't care about that. We only care about anti-american claims!

Someone else being an asshole doesn't give you a right to be more of an asshole than usual, but less than the other guy.

You don't care what America does wrong because you'll just find one example of someone doing worse and pretend that justifies the actions of the United States. Sorry, morality doesn't work like that. If the United States is doing something wrong, it's doing something wrong. Just because Saddam is dressing his soldiers up as civilians and U.S. troops doesn't mean we should do the same.
  • Reply 6 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

New is getting Old.

So very true...
  • Reply 7 of 151
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

So very true...

So statistics are too boring for you?
  • Reply 8 of 151
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Someone else being an asshole doesn't give you a right to be more of an asshole than usual, but less than the other guy.

You don't care what America does wrong because you'll just find one example of someone doing worse and pretend that justifies the actions of the United States. Sorry, morality doesn't work like that. If the United States is doing something wrong, it's doing something wrong. Just because Saddam is dressing his soldiers up as civilians and U.S. troops doesn't mean we should do the same.

What is the US doing that you are referring to here?

We must be dressing up as Iraqi civilians and then infiltrating the enemys camp and opening fire.

No wait, I have it, we are dressing up as Republican Guard and then pretendind to accept defecting US troops right before we shoot them in the back.

No, we must be driving Taxis to Republican guard checkpoints and then blowing ourselves up!

No wait....errr...

What were you saying again Bunge?
  • Reply 9 of 151
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I think the number of civilian casualties related to so much firepower being unleashed shows that our military has been doing a pretty damned good job.

Sanctions have killed 3652 civilians in the same period.
  • Reply 10 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I think the number of civilian casualties related to so much firepower being unleashed shows that our military has been doing a pretty damned good job.

Enough statistics! It does not prove New's point sufficiently unless it comes from the BBC or Al Jazeera!
  • Reply 11 of 151
    Quote:

we're not comparing sanctions and war. Since both are US constructions.
  • Reply 12 of 151
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

we're not comparing sanctions and war. Since both are US constructions.

Well, the sanctions by their very definition are a UN construction. And the war is mainly US, yes.

We are talking about lovely statistics, right?
  • Reply 13 of 151
    Quote:

Well, the sanctions by their very definition are a UN construction.

Care to explore who drafted the SC resolution on those sanctions...? Or who has blocked all attempts on lifting the sanctions?
  • Reply 14 of 151
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    so those 550 are confirmed, and have all been shot by Coalition fire, or are those numbers unconfirmed, and we don't know who killed who?

last i checked, both markets were up in the air as to who is responsible, and the numbers of "confirmed" vs. possible were totally different.
  • Reply 15 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

so those 550 are confirmed, and have all been shot by Coalition fire, or are those numbers unconfirmed, and we don't know who killed who?

last i checked, both markets were up in the air as to who is responsible, and the numbers of "confirmed" vs. possible were totally different.

Nothing is confirmed. It won't be for a long time.

As to who is responsible, I presonally hold Bush and his goons responsible for every single person killed in this war. Both US, UK, iraqi and other...
  • Reply 16 of 151
    CONFIRMED! I am working on Cruise Missile plastic right now.
  • Reply 17 of 151
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NoahJ

What is the US doing that you are referring to here?

I'm referring to our killing of X number of civilians. There will be true collateral damage, civilians in the wrong place at the wrong time or a truly errant bomb.

And then there will be civilians killed because our Military planners are too chicken-shit to egage the enemy without 'softening them up' with thousands of pounds of bombs.

Scott's argument is that as long as Saddam is evil, our Military can be evil as well, as long as it's not as evil as Saddam. I call bull shit on that.
  • Reply 18 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

CONFIRMED! I am working on Cruise Missile plastic right now.

they are plastic???
  • Reply 19 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I'm referring to our killing of X number of civilians. There will be true collateral damage, civilians in the wrong place at the wrong time or a truly errant bomb.

And then there will be civilians killed because our Military planners are too chicken-shit to egage the enemy without 'softening them up' with thousands of pounds of bombs.

Scott's argument is that as long as Saddam is evil, our Military can be evil as well, as long as it's not as evil as Saddam. I call bull shit on that.

This is a tried and true military strategy. It is the reason why the first Gulf War ended so quickly. We bombed the snot out of them for 2 weeks prior to sending in ground forces. There is nothing evil about air strikes or precision bombing. If you wish to complain about dead civilians please speak with Saddam and his Republican guard who are positioning themselves in such a way as to ensure the greatest amount of civilian casualties possible. Even if we simply went in with ground forces and fought them mano a mano you would still have a huge amount of civilian casualties as the bullets flying around do not stop at glass windows or wood doors just a shrapnel does not. Civilian casualties are going to happen, and it is sad, but we have done more that any ohter nation to ensure that it is minimal.
  • Reply 20 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

they are plastic???

And brightly colored too! Had to use the remaining iMac cases for something.

Fruit Flavored Cluster bombs for all!