Adobe to announce DVD Authoring app

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe Encore

Quote:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Desktop publishing software maker Adobe Systems Inc. is expanding into the fast-growing DVD market with a new program designed to make it easier to customize the discs on a personal computer.

The maker of the popular Acrobat and Photoshop programs plans to announce its bid to profit from the DVD boom Monday. The software, called "Encore," won't be sold until the summer. Adobe isn't selling a version for Apple's Macintosh.

With a suggested retail price of $549 per copy, the Encore software isn't meant for the mass market.

The program promises to create slick DVDs for video entrepreneurs and aficionados, a segment that falls into a cross-section sometimes called "prosumers.".

This would make a nice competitor to DVD Studio Pro. Adobe should make a Mac version but that's looking unlikely.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    If the feature-set is better than iDVD, a Mac port would be a viable option. Otherwise, why compete with something that every DVD-writing Mac owner already has for free?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    This won't compete with iDVD. It's over $500!

This is Pro software. Encore is to DVD Studio Pro what Premier is to FCP. That is, they are crap Adobe versions of software Apple does better.

Barto
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Adobe won't make a Mac version. Why? They are afraid of competition.

The easy, paved path leads to...nowhere.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    iDVD is not going to be used by Prosumers and professionals.

Adobe is being silly. Encore would be welcomed on Macs. They owe it to Mac users who've purchased Photoshop AE and other Adobe apps. Perhaps they're working the code for a future Mac release.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, according to macminute, they said it was a "market-driven" decision to go with a windows-only application. i gotta think they'll eventually get around to a mac version, but i just don't understand what is going on with adobe these days. they'll praise apple in one breath, bundle their apps with macs, then post pages with stupid benchmarks that promote pcs over macs and now this.

i know apple didn't make any friends at adobe by releasing competing products to premeire and elements, but come on...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I like Adobe Elements and I don't think of iPhoto as a competitor.

Premiere just flat out sucks. Adobe had a chance to hop on the MiniDV gravy train and they slacked. Apple had to move on.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Adobe is pissed at Apple. That is what is going on.

(Note that their decisions are still market-driven...I'm just saying that they are also angry.)
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Grow up Adobe!

There are Mac users who've purchased your products that would interested in an Adobe DVD Burning app nicely integrated into their workflow.

I don't worry about Apple...I worry about Adobe when they start shafting their own customers.

Perhaps there's a reason why High Level Execs are defecting.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    So that means DVD Studio Pro 2 is coming and it will drop its price

I think only Premiere users will use Encore.

FCP users use DVDSP anyway
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Hmmm...I wonder if Encore is the reason behind the "PC Preferred" campaign?

Adobe Announces Windows-only Encore DVD

Quote:

"We've made the first version Windows-only because that's where most of our Premiere users are," Baker told MacCentral. Premiere is Adobe's digital video editing software. While Premiere remains popular among Windows users, it's been supplanted on the Mac in recent years by competing products like Apple's Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express and Avid Xpress DV.

• Reply 11 of 11
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    This is great for PC users. . . it will be a decent product i bet. I also bet that there will be a scaled down version similar to iDVD for PC at about 150$