Sound Recognition in iOS 14 alerts deaf iPhone users to fire alarms

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2020
The first beta of iOS 14 includes the ability to set up notifications that trigger if the iPhone hears specific sounds, an accessibility feature that could help alert hearing-impaired users to fire alarms or dogs barking nearby.

Menus and the notification for iOS 14's Sound Recognition feature [via Reddit]
Menus and the notification for iOS 14's Sound Recognition feature [via Reddit]

Apple's unveiling of iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 at WWDC covered a lot of new features, but not everything was revealed in the presentation, nor in supporting documents. One new feature was spotted without the fanfare, but may have a big impact for some of Apple's customers.

Shown in a video on Reddit by user "u/Jsmith4523" on Monday night, the Sound Recognition feature is an audio detection system in the iPhone that can listen out for specific sounds. Once heard, the iPhone then displays a notification on-screen advising it has heard a sound, and identifying it.

The list of sounds it can pick up include animals like cats and dogs, household sounds including running water and appliances, and doorbells and door knocks. The system is also sophisticated enough to listen out for people shouting and baby cries, and can even distinguish between alarm sounds for fires, smoke, and sirens.

Notifications are displayed with the "Sound Recognition" title, along with a brief description of what was heard.

Descriptive text for Sound Recognition advises the iPhone "will continuously listen for certain sounds, and using on-device intelligence, will notify you when sounds may be recognized." It goes on to highlight how it should not be relied upon in cases where the user may be harmed or injured, emergency situations, or for navigation.

The function is likely to be welcomed by deaf iPhone users, as well as those hard of hearing, as it will give a visual and tactile alert to largely audio-only events.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bsbeamerbsbeamer Posts: 77member
    Awesome.  Know several hard of hearing who bought a RING doorbell just so they'd get alerts on their phone and not "miss" a friend or neighbor stopping by.  More stuff like this, Apple.  
    williamlondonjony0
  • Reply 2 of 4
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    bsbeamer said:
    Awesome.  Know several hard of hearing who bought a RING doorbell just so they'd get alerts on their phone and not "miss" a friend or neighbor stopping by.  More stuff like this, Apple.  
    Agreed. My how things have progressed, I remember my aunt who was deaf when her doorbell rang, the lights would flash on and off to indicate someone at the door. Plus, she kept dogs who helped alert her to other sounds, now using tech to do these types of things, way cool.
    jony0
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    And a nice, distinctive haptic feedback to accompany the notification.

That also has a use case for people with noise cancelling headphones… Might need an extra toggle to activate when Bluetooth devices are connected.
    Japheyjony0
  • Reply 4 of 4
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    That's so amazing as I am deaf myself and could use them! I use Ring and cameras around the house.  Having Apple intergrate "sound awareness" would be a great blessing since I don't have flashing fire alarm nor any detectors that would alert me if there's a microwave beeping or a sudden loud sound or anything, especially while sleeping (I wear my watch while sleeping which would vibrate if someone's "casing" my house or as an alarm!) 
    jony0