Apple releases 2D27 firmware update for AirPods Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple released new firmware for the AirPods Pro wireless earphones on Tuesday, with build number 2D27 now available to download and install on the personal audio accessories.

AirPods Pro
AirPods Pro

The update replaces the previously available firmware, build number 2D15, which has been available since May 5. This marks the fourth firmware update Apple has issued for the AirPods Pro since launch.

It is unclear what changes the firmware makes to how the AirPods Pro operate at this time, but given Apple has issued developer betas for iOS 14 and other upcoming operating system updates, it is likely that may be a factor in the firmware's release.

During Apple's WWDC keynote, it revealed a "Spatial Audio" feature would be arriving on AirPods Pro as part of iOS 14. The feature mimics a surround sound and movie theater-like experience, while also using the built in accelerometers in the AirPods Pro and in a media-playing iPhone or iPad to ensure audio keeps being positioned correctly to the user, no matter how they turn their head.

The new firmware is installed automatically for users, with no mechanism on offer to manually force an update to take place. So long as the AirPods Pro are in the charging case and connected to an iOS device, the firmware will install by itself.

AirPods Pro users can check the current firmware for their audio accessories within the Settings app, selecting General, then About, then AirPods Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Ugh. My AirPod Pros don't show up under "General -> About". Neat.
  • Reply 2 of 10
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    Make sure that your AirPods are connected to Bluetooth in your settings first then go into general and about
  • Reply 4 of 10
    hippohippo Posts: 25member
    AirPods Pro were automatically updated to firmware 2D27 today while in charging case. They need to be Bluetooth paired and connected to your iPhone to appear as "<your name>'s AirPods Pro" near the bottom of the iPhone's Settings > General > About
    If they're in the case with the lid closed, they won't be Bluetooth connected and won't appear.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I still don’t understand why I cannot click a “update now” button - additional to the automatic update, when it works. 
  • Reply 6 of 10
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I still don’t understand why I cannot click a “update now” button - additional to the automatic update, when it works. 
    I agree. And why the weird version names? Simple numbers won’t work?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Ugh. My AirPod Pros don't show up under "General -> About". Neat.

You need to make sure they are connected first. Then scroll down a bit in "General" you will see them listed. Right under the EID # is where I see mine.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I have only owned the Airpod Pros for a few days and found that for this to all work, and it did, I had to have the lid open for the iPhone to remain connected.  Close the lid the connection is lost.  The snag is the design of the case closes the lid as soon as you put the case down.  I had to rig up a kluge to hold the case with lid open using a clamp.  What am I missing, it can't be that hard.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    MacPro said:
    I have only owned the Airpod Pros for a few days and found that for this to all work, and it did, I had to have the lid open for the iPhone to remain connected.  Close the lid the connection is lost.  The snag is the design of the case closes the lid as soon as you put the case down.  I had to rig up a kluge to hold the case with lid open using a clamp.  What am I missing, it can't be that hard.

I opened the lid and connected mine this morning around 9am to help the person who couldn't see his/her's in "General - Settings. After that I closed them and put them to the side as I am working. I opened them just now ( 11:45am EST )  to check and the update was done.  I also found that if you open the lid of the charging case and lay the case on it's back the top will stay open.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    skbear1skbear1 Posts: 3member
    MacPro said:
    The AirPods Pro remain connected if either one or both are out of the case when it is subsequently closed. However, I still find it necessary to manually connect via Bluetooth settings to access the firmware occasionally. 

Incidentally, it is no longer necessary to view the firmware version via Settings—About. You can see the firmware version by opening the Bluetooth settings; in addition to making other adjustments, the firmware version is listed beneath all the setting options. 

Also, under Settings—Accessibility—Airpods there are additional options, such as turning on noise cancellation for one AirPod instead of the pair. 
    edited July 2020