iOS 14: AirPods optimized charging, Apple Watch charge notification, more

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple announced a slew of improvements to iOS 14 at its WWDC 2020 keynote. Here are some features that didn't make it into the presentation.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

As is typical, there's a lot of new features, capabilities and functions in iOS 14 that Apple didn't have time to announce during its Monday keynote. Here are some of the important ones that we've found.

Shortcuts trigger types

Along with the Back Tap functionality and support for Apple Watch, the Shortcuts app is also getting new trigger types and 13 new automatic triggers.

The automatic trigger types, which include Low Power Mode or Airplane Mode, can run automatically without asking for a user's permission.

Dark Sky-like Weather functions

Thanks to Apple's purchase of Dark Sky, it appears that some of those app's features are now being incorporated into iOS 14. For one, U.S. users will see a chart with a minute-by-minute precipitation intensity forecast.

The Weather app itself also shows new information on severe weather events, as well as more usual shifts in the local weather.

Photos improvements

Apple has given Photos some slick pinch-and-zoom options in iOS 14. It has also enhanced the Memories function and introduced a new image picker for third-party apps.

Users can also add captions to photos and organize with additional categories for filtering and sorting.

Local Wi-Fi privacy options

Users on iOS 14 now have two new privacy controls when it comes to local Wi-Fi networks on their devices. For one, apps will now need to ask permission to connect to devices on a local network.

Apple also introduced a new "Private Address" option that can prevent operators of Wi-Fi networks from tracking your device.

Overhauled Music app

Apple has given the Music app a redesign with new menus and other features. "For You" has been replaced with "Listen Now" feature, which is now displayed prominently in the app.

The Music app's search function has also been improved, and there's a new Autoplay feature that lets Apple Music play related tracks and artists when you reach the end of a song or playlist.

AirPods Optimized Charging

Since iOS 13, iPhones have had an Optimized Battery Charging feature. And in iOS 14, AirPods will be getting a similar capability too.

As with the iOS-based version, Optimized Battery Charging will analyze and track a user's daily charging habits and will hold off on completing a charge cycle until it's needed to preserve battery health.

AirPods low battery notification

When your AirPods need power, your iPhone will now send you a notification letting you know.

New AirPods framework

Apple has introduced a new AirPods Pro framework that will let developers take access acceleration, rotation and orientation data for their apps.

Apple Watch charge notifications

Starting in iOS 14, your iPhone will ping you with a notification when your Apple Watch finishes charging.

The feature will come in handy for users who need to top off their Apple Watch's battery during the day after using the new Sleep Tracking app at night.

New Reminders features

Members of a shared list in the new Reminders app can assign tasks to each other, making it quite a bit easier to divvy up reminders.

Users can now edit multiple reminders at once, add reminders with a Quick Entry option, and get contextual suggestions when entering them.

New QuickTake options

Apple has introduced a couple of new improvements to QuickTake -- the feature that allows users to quickly capture video by holding down the camera button in Photos.

Users can now take a video by pressing down on the Volume Down button or burst photos with Volume Up. QuickTake as a feature is also now available on the iPhone XR, iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.

Video quick toggles

All iPhone models that iOS 14 supports now feature quick controls to change the frame rate and resolution of captured video.

Photos privacy

Instead of just giving random apps access to your entire Photos library, you can now select specific photos and block access to your library.

Send new apps to the App Library

The new App Library and Home screen widgets are big features in iOS 14. But a smaller tidbit is that you can choose to send newly downloaded apps directly to the App Library only.

Mirrored selfie option

Users now have the ability to take selfies that reflect what's shown on the display, rather than mirrored ones.

Health checklist

There's a new Health Checklist section in the Health app that lets users view and manage records in one place. The Health app also now supports new data types like mobility, symptoms and ECG.

iOS 14 Notes improvements

Text styles can be edited much more quickly in iOS 14 by tapping and holding on the text button. Searching the Notes app is also faster across the board thanks to on-device intelligence.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Getting a ping when my watch is fully charged will be nice.   Like the article mentions, I sleep with my watch (mostly to take advantage of its fall detection if I have to get up during the night).   But I like to wear it as much as possible -- partly for the fall detection but also for the activity tracking.   So, getting a ping when it's charged will be helpful!

Thanks for thinking of me Apple!    :)
    pumpkin_kingjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Getting a ping when my watch is fully charged will be nice.   Like the article mentions, I sleep with my watch (mostly to take advantage of its fall detection if I have to get up during the night).   But I like to wear it as much as possible -- partly for the fall detection but also for the activity tracking.   So, getting a ping when it's charged will be helpful!

Thanks for thinking of me Apple!    :)
    I agree. I also wear my watch at night, for the sleep tracking and heart rate monitoring. Charging it the next morning means I have to keep checking it to see when it’s fully charged so I can put it back on. (I’ve noticed a big difference during the day if I charge it to 99% instead of 100%). This notification will be really nice. 

But can someone please explain to this tiny mind what a “mirrored selfie” is? I still don’t get it. Thanks. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    fred1 said

But can someone please explain to this tiny mind what a “mirrored selfie” is? I still don’t get it. Thanks. 
    When you take a picture with the front camera (usually a selfie) then the image is currently mirrored (so for example words appear backwards)

There is now an option to correct this.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    litolooplitoloop Posts: 96member
    still reeling with delight for inline replies in the messages app 😅
  • Reply 5 of 9
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    QuickTake

Does anyone remember QuickTake 100? Apple attempt into digital camera around 1994? I tried it indoor and output was miserable as one could expect at early times of digital photography :)..I still have pics somewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake

elijahg
  • Reply 6 of 9
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    lukei said:
    fred1 said

When you take a picture with the front camera (usually a selfie) then the image is currently mirrored (so for example words appear backwards)

I see (pun intended). Thanks for the explanation. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    lukei said:
    fred1 said

This is incorrect, at least for me on xsmax. Just verified it. Selfie display shows reversed image but flipped correctly when viewed in camera roll. Not sure why anyone would purposely choose a flipped image, especially when wearing a shirt with writing on it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    lukei said:
    fred1 said

This is incorrect, at least for me on XS Max. I just verified this. The image on the screen when taking selfie is indeed reversed, but the picture taken is displayed correctly (unflipped) when viewed in camera roll. Not sure why anyone would choose to reverse it on purpose. So this feature is to undo the automatic correction? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    frantisek said:
    QuickTake

Does anyone remember QuickTake 100? Apple attempt into digital camera around 1994? I tried it indoor and output was miserable as one could expect at early times of digital photography :)..I still have pics somewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake

I still have one :)