Apple adds new battery tools in macOS Big Sur, kills Network Utility

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's macOS Big Sur update introduces new battery usage tools and brings back battery life time estimates, but deprecates the Network Utility tool.

Big Sur Battery

In macOS Big Sur, there's a battery Usage History feature in System Preferences that gives users the scoop on their Mac's battery life over the past 24 hours or 10 days. The pane breaks that down further into Battery Level and Screen On Usage, but doesn't provide granular detail for individual apps.

The updated Battery section also has new Battery and Power Adapter sections that largely replace the options previously available in the Energy Saver pane.

macOS Big Sur also brings back the battery "time remaining" feature. Like with the iconic Mac startup chime, Apple did away with "time remaining" battery life estimates with the 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.

While that feature is making a comeback in macOS Big Sur, another longstanding tool is being phased out.

Network Utility Deprecated in Big Sur

Apple has deprecated its Network Utility tool in the first beta version of macOS Big Sur. The feature provided information, tips and tools for users to check their network connections.

The company says that network tools, such as ping or lookup, can now be accessed via Terminal commands. Wi-Fi troubleshooting issues are now done in the Wireless Diagnostics app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 544member
    That's really crappy for Apple to depreciate the Network Utility Tool.  I've used it on a weekly basis.

Developers here should notify Apple to reinstate the features of the tool.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 2 of 9
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    macseeker said:
    That's really crappy for Apple to depreciate the Network Utility Tool.  I've used it on a weekly basis.

Seems like this could easily be recreated by a third party since it's just a GUI for Terminal commands. Or you could just learn the Terminal commands. :)
    netroxrotateleftbyterandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    macseeker said:

Seems like this could easily be recreated by a third party since it's just a GUI for Terminal commands. Or you could just learn the Terminal commands. :)
    That doesn’t sound very Apple. And “just works”
    beeble42elijahgdysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 9
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    It is pretty easy to create a GUI app though but I wonder why it's being deprecated. 

macseeker said:

Why are you using it weekly? I rarely use it. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    imatimat Posts: 208member
    macseeker said:

If you are a developer this might be a good time to start imagining and designing an alternative to be sold on the App store :wink: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    I get that Betas are chock full of placeholder iconography, but damn that battery icon. Someone actually *designed* that instead of just lifting the iOS image. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    imat said:
    macseeker said:

If you are a developer this might be a good time to start imagining and designing an alternative to be sold on the App store :wink: 
    And get sherlocked when they bring it back?  No thanks.  :D
    elijahg
  • Reply 8 of 9
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    entropys said:
    macseeker said:

That doesn’t sound very Apple. And “just works”
    Why does Apple have to provide this tool? Most users never, ever need the functions of this utility, and I'm simply pointing out it would be fairly trivial for someone else to build a similar tool if there isn't already one. 

Why would learning unix commands need to be "very Apple". There's no mandate that Apple must provide a GUI to run traceroute/ping/etc. Give me a break.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    imat said:
    macseeker said:

I would think a guided terminal would be a better sell.

Maybe use playgrounds as a guide but a terminal that helps expose useful commands, command completion, common paths suggested for actions, handy hints and tips. sell IAP guides for setting up more complex systems that are availbe open source or already embedded. Help build test and then automate tasks.
    watto_cobra