Everything new coming to CarPlay with iOS 14

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2020
CarPlay in iOS 14 is bringing a wide variety of changes to vehicles, all through a simple update to their phones. We break down exactly what is coming to users with iOS 14 and how it will impact their daily commutes and road trips.

CarPlay in iOS 14
CarPlay in iOS 14

New with CarPlay

Initially, Apple touted a simple change coming to CarPlay, but will be noticeable right away. That is a quintet of new backgrounds. Rather than be stuck with the stark white or dreary black backgrounds Apple offered before, users have five new colorful options to choose from.

Five new wallpapers in iOS 14 for CarPlay
Five new wallpapers in iOS 14 for CarPlay

In iOS 13, Apple brought a Settings app to the CarPlay interface to make adjustments easier, such as turning on Do Not Disturb While Driving or the automatic mode switching. That is also where you will find the five new wallpapers that look similar to the stock iOS 14 ones. These wallpapers are also dynamic and adjust light to dark based on the time of day, if dark and light mode switching is enabled.

Parking, EV charging, and quick food ordering apps are coming to CarPlay
Parking, EV charging, and quick food ordering apps are coming to CarPlay

New app types are also coming to iOS 14 CarPlay. EV charging, parking, and quick food ordering are all coming to CarPlay through apps added by developers. We could see a charging station app that shows you the latest EV charger for your vehicle nearby, an app to order pizza on the way to the restaurant, or an app that highlights all the open parking within range.

More with iOS 14

CarPlay gets benefits from the iOS 14 update as a whole, too. So while these aren't CarPlay exclusive features, CarPlay users will certainly benefit from them.

Take Maps for example. Maps was given a big overhaul as part of iOS 14 and CarPlay will see those represented in the vehicle. When using Maps, users will now be alerted to red light or speed traffic cameras as they are driving.

Maps in iOS 14 CarPlay
Maps in iOS 14 CarPlay

When navigating, users in electric vehicles will have navigation routes shown that have EV charging stations. Maps will know what EV you have so it will only show compatible chargers along your route. Taking this into account should alleviate any range stress you may have during a new trip.

In areas that are highly congested and that may have restrictions -- such as Paris -- these restricted zones will be noted and routed around.

Then there is Siri. Siri has an updated appearance when summoning via CarPlay, mimicking the new appearance on iPhone. It looks sleeker and more defined as it pops up in the middle of the display.

Sending voice message with Siri in iOS 14 CarPlay
Sending voice message with Siri in iOS 14 CarPlay

Siri has new tricks as well. Siri can now send voice messages. Just like in the Messages app, if you ask Siri to send a voice message, a new UI will appear asking you what you want to say. Siri will record your message before sending it on its way. At which point your recipient will hear you speak your message.

In tandem with Maps, Siri can send your ETA as well. You could send your ETA prior from the Maps app, but now Siri can do so for you. At the same time, Siri reminds you of the privacy repercussions such as sharing your iCloud email with the recipient of your ETA. Once shared, you can view that in Maps and stop sharing when you want.

CarKey is coming

Apple also took time during WWDC to announce CarKey. Carkey is a new way to lock, unlock, and start your car via your iPhone.

Unlocking the BMW 5 Seriers with iPhone
Unlocking the BMW 5 Seriers with iPhone

As it was demoed, users can tap their iPhone against the door handle to lock or unlock the vehicle, then once inside, they can place their phone in the wireless charger and press the ignition button to start the vehicle.

Keys can be shared as well, including short temporary restricted access or full access through Messages.

Apple has packed iOS 14, iPadOS 14, macOS 11 Big Sur, tvOS 14, and watchOS 7 with many new features so stay tuned to AppleInsider for all of our other content surrounding Apple's latest updates.
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I'm hoping Apple starts developing the hardware too. These car manufacturers don't know what they're doing. Or maybe Apple is saving their CarPlay hardware for Apple Car.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I keep car key in pocket. I grab door handle. The car lets me pull the handle to open. Can CarKey do this? 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 3 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Keys can be shared as well, including short temporary restricted access or full access through Messages

Hear that kids? Stay out too late, and mum will take away your car key!

In tandem with Maps, Siri can send your ETA as well. You could send your ETA prior from the Maps app, but now Siri can do so for you. At the same time, Siri reminds you of the privacy repercussions such as sharing your iCloud email with the recipient of your ETA. Once shared, you can view that in Maps and stop sharing when you want.

i hope Siri doesn’t do that warning all the time. In fact I would prefer she never does if the recipient is in your favourites list, or maybe even contacts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    tzeshan said:
    I keep car key in pocket. I grab door handle. The car lets me pull the handle to open. Can CarKey do this? 
    They covered that. Tap-to-unlock should work with all the NFC phones. They didn't mention watches, but I suspect it will work there as well.

Unlocking when you grab the handle with your phone in your pocket will work with devices which have the U1 (right now, only iPhone 11).

I'm interested in what would be involved in making a compatible lock system and retrofitting it to an existing car. Hopefully we will have more hard information soon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Wow. Wallpapers.

Yawn. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Wow. Wallpapers.

Yawn. 
    I worked with a girl a few years ago that bought a new Honda Fit. The thing she was most excited about was she could plug in a USB flash drive and install a wallpaper to the in-dash display. She told everyone and talked about it for weeks. That may not be something for you, but clearly some people like that sort of thing. 

I’m happy sharing ETA is available through Siri. Currently I only get a list of maybe 10 people. Typically the first 3 make sense to me but the remaining 7 or so seem randomly selected. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    There is no chance I will ever opt into this. A metal car key is going with me everywhere. It can't fail. Phones and tech stuff in a car can. Yes, its nice to have in a backup, but I'm not leaving without a metal car key in my pocket. There is no chance, that in my lifetime, apple or a car manufacturer can make anything as reliable.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    eightzero said:
    There is no chance I will ever opt into this. A metal car key is going with me everywhere. It can't fail. Phones and tech stuff in a car can. Yes, its nice to have in a backup, but I'm not leaving without a metal car key in my pocket. There is no chance, that in my lifetime, apple or a car manufacturer can make anything as reliable.
    Totally wrong!  You have everything there, 180°.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    tzeshan said:
    From what we’ve heard, it could work with Apple Watch. If so, then you’d be able to just walk up and tap your wrist. But that was just a rumor and this is all still early
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    So... wallpaper.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 11 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    eightzero said:
    No metal key on my car the past 4 years. Never worried about it...I’m certain you can still carry around your fob if you want to. 
    MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    eightzero said:
    I leave my debit card at home and have never touched it since the bank gave it to me, relying only on my phone to draw cash from ATM. Never have a failure once in 3 years. 
    edited June 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    eightzero said:
    What's a metal car key?
    MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    Beats said:
    I'm hoping Apple starts developing the hardware too. These car manufacturers don't know what they're doing. Or maybe Apple is saving their CarPlay hardware for Apple Car.
    I disagree. Car manufacturers just need to install good quality touch screens and stay out the way.

Yes it would be great to have a Tesla style massive super screen. But these would be too expensive for most and IMO broad availability is more important. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    Wow. Wallpapers.

Yawn. 
    Hmm...almost like you didn't read anything below that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    matrix077 said:
    eightzero said:
    I leave my debit card at home and have never touched it since the bank gave it to me, relying only on my phone to draw cash from ATM. Never have a failure once in 3 years. 
    YMMV. To me, the inability to use my car on demand is very different that being able to make a purchase. As i've opined in the past, choice of tech is a very personal choice. I am glad the tech has worked for others consistently. I do not have such optimism, and there is really no upside (to me) on ever relying on it. Carrying a metal key is completely trivial to me. 

TL;DR follows simply because I have this window open. 

As a bit of an aside, I do not have a debit card, and never will. I don't need one, as I use a credit card for every purchase. The cash back to me is substantial. I make as many as 2-3 cash purchases a year, and about that number of checks written. By far the most number of transactions I make are at my grocery store. When Safeway started taking Apple Pay, it was very, very spotty - on the order of 3 out of 4 transactions would simply fail, and I'd get a blank look from the cashier. Out came the physical card, because a weekly grocery trip takes time and planning for me, and I do not want to walk away. Fortunately, that retailer now has a reliable system, and I can't recall a failure in recent times. But it did in the past, and i am prepared for it to do so again. But I like the security and speed of AP.

My personal opinion is that Apple and the tech gurus way overestimate the general population's ability to understand and use their tech. Yes, I was very interested and fascinated by the announcements Apple made at WWDC. To me it is quite entertaining. But there was very little there I found applicable to me. My experience with most people is that they want their phone to just do simple things reliably and quickly. They aren't the focal points of peoples lives like tech companies would have you believe. If you find a feature that makes your life better, great. I can see the car key thingy being attractive to people that share a car with many in a family. I can see lighting and security in a big home with many people coming and going. I can also see people walking around in an office all day with headphones on both as a way to have the music on they want, and having visible pods blocking out noice and as a way of telling others "go away." A commentor pointed how how cool his girlfriend thought a wallpaper change on the dash was and to her that was worth much quid. Useful to others, but I still curse every time I want to find a photo I took on my phone when I pull up the photos app on my mac. I do it so seldom, that it isn't ingrained in me where it appears. Don't even get me started on how many times a family member comes to me and says, "the document I made on my mac is now gone! My watch is always going off with stupid reminders I never asked for! How come I can't print? I need this to send now!" We were told this stuff would work, that our lives would be better, and then...it isn't when it doesn't. 

What I'd *really* be interested to see on iPadOS is "moron mode." The ability to turn off all these "features" would be a godsend to many people. Yes, I get the iPad is going to be a productivity device for many. But for others, they will never use split mode, view in picture, use many screen gestures, all of that. Grandma wants to use email, look at Facebook, see pictures of the grandkids, and send messages. She will *never* get how to turn off group messages and will complain when people talk out of turn. Just turn all of that off for her. Make 3 Big Ass Buttons on the home page to do singular things. Done. Do it on iOS and macOS too. Yes, i suppose someone could set that up for grandma, but maybe...maybe...it could come out of the box that way when you buy it from Apple. It arrives, she presses on, and it ask, "what do you want this device to do?" She checks FB, mail, messages...and remembers you in her will. Perfect. Apple does this *so well* for accessibility options, but misses the most obvious need for accessibility: people that are Just Not Up To Understanding How Things Work For Them. And I include myself in that category at times.

So...I have this off my chest; thank you for your tolerance, and for AI for allowing this manifesto. YMMV. My best wishes to each of you in hopes that your choice in tech serves you well. 
    mobird
  • Reply 17 of 21
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    eightzero said:
    You do realize that all cars manufactured in the last 10 years use chip keys which is essentially the same thing, just in a form you’re familiar with. Physical keys have been superfluous for quite some time. 

Also, I’ll ask this - how many people do you know who have had keyless ignitions fail? Between me and family members we have a combined 50+ car years without a single failure. 

Now - I think back to the old metal keys and had far more failures from keys or ignition locks getting worn. Not to mention locking my keys in the car back when I had a car with manual locks...
    edited June 2020 MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Funny thing is people will actually change their $60,000+ cars just to have this feature lol. 

I love the idea you can send the 'key' to someone with varying limitations.  Imagine being able to have friends or relatives pick up your car from an airport for example in an unexpected situation where you can't return as planned.
    edited June 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,005member
    I’d like to see maps have the capability to proactively download map data. There are areas where there is no mobile data coverage, which will get you a gps dot on a blank grid if you drive into such an area. Presently, I keep a third-party map application to cover this eventuality. 

Maps ought to be able to proactively download map data for nearby areas where cell coverage is known to be missing, and also allow the user to manually do so as well. 
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 20 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    AppleZulu said:
    I’d like to see maps have the capability to proactively download map data. There are areas where there is no mobile data coverage, which will get you a gps dot on a blank grid if you drive into such an area. Presently, I keep a third-party map application to cover this eventuality. 

Maps ought to be able to proactively download map data for nearby areas where cell coverage is known to be missing, and also allow the user to manually do so as well. 
    https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&hl=en