New York Times leaves Apple News over a lack of reader connection

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    palmlag said:
    Readership down because they are ultra left mouth piece press

I thought there is more alt-right people here.  
    jeffharrisGeorgeBMacspheric
  • Reply 22 of 89
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    phisher12 said:
    Let’s be perfectly honest the reason that their readership was down, is they only allowed you to read one/two articles a week for free. If you wanted to read more you had to sign up for a monthly sub. 
    Here’s the REAL rub. I did subscribe to the NYT and when I tried to go from News+ to the full story, the NYT invited me to pay! Sounds like they see “relationship to readers” a one way street. Am letting my subscriptions lapse, tired of being treated like a stranger by them. Not only that, but they make you pay for a second subscription in order to access the crossword puzzles! Love their journalism; hate their business practices. 
    edited June 2020 matrix077Rayz2016
  • Reply 23 of 89
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    It’s not lack of connection, most people stoped reading news since Trump was elected. 
    robin huberlkruppspheric
  • Reply 24 of 89
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    sergioz said:
    It’s not lack of connection, most people stoped reading news since Trump was elected. 
    Because anything he doesn’t like is fake. 
    muthuk_vanalingamfotoformatjeffharrisGeorgeBMacspheric
  • Reply 25 of 89
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    chasm said:
    palmlag said:

Ah, the ignorant American turns up right on cue.

A) You haven't got the FAINTEST idea of what "ultra left" actually means.
    B) The NYT is barely rated as ever-so-slightly left, but that's only because they continue to print fact-based articles.

😆😆😆😆😆😆 They are an over-the-top leftist political rag with zero credibility in journalism. If they are so fact based, why do they have to have a full page spread on retractions for pretty much every article through the week? You have zero clue about journalism. Sorry, but that’s the truth.
    razorpitibillchemengin1cat52
  • Reply 26 of 89
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    kkqd1337 said:
    I’m not sure there is a martlet for news aggregators. I think people generally like to shop around and pick and choose their sources independently. 

I know I certainly don’t need someone curating my news for me.
    Apple News lets you curate your own News (channels/subjects/likes/dislikes/etc). Apple only does it "for you" to the extent that you don't involve yourself at all.
    djames4242
  • Reply 27 of 89
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Independently of whether you love or hate NYT, it is not obvious what AppleNews does to add any value to a typical consumer. 

The business of curating and distilling other people’s content — the business model of AN, Google, FB, etc. — has peaked. 
    muthuk_vanalingamcat52
  • Reply 28 of 89
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    chasm said:
    palmlag said:

Ah, the ignorant American turns up right on cue.

A) You haven't got the FAINTEST idea of what "ultra left" actually means.
    B) The NYT is barely rated as ever-so-slightly left, but that's only because they continue to print fact-based articles.
    C) Readership is way up for the paper generally, in point of fact -- which proves:
    D) You're the one in the bubble, spouting right-wing parrot points.

Also: I note the article does not say they are leaving Apple News+. It's an odd omission.
    Barely rated ever so slightly left.  :D 

They spent the last three years feeding you lies and got a Pulitzer “For deeply sourced, relentlessly reported coverage in the public interest that dramatically furthered the nation’s understanding of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and its connections to the Trump campaign, the President-elect’s transition team and his eventual administration“ They were wrong time and time again.

Their own response to the Tom Cotton op-Ed was embarrassing. They routinely change headlines and stories to please the Biden campaign. Do not cover one thing that puts the Biden campaign in a bad situation.

They only reason their readership is up because the far left wing needs something to grab on too to make it through the day.
    ibillcat52
  • Reply 29 of 89
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    kkqd1337 said:
    I’m not sure there is a martlet for news aggregators. I think people generally like to shop around and pick and choose their sources independently. 

Then you don’t understand News. It doesn’t curate news for you. You can choose any specific publications or topics you like and News will give that for you. Heck, you can even have News to be almost 100% Fox News. 
    fastasleepGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 30 of 89
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Might make Apple News a better service now.
    razorpitibillcat52
  • Reply 31 of 89
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    matrix077 said:
    kkqd1337 said:

Then you don’t understand News. It doesn’t curate news for you. You can choose any specific publications or topics you like and News will give that for you. Heck, you can even have News to be almost 100% Fox News. 
    Then why wouldn't I get Fox News and be even happier?!
  • Reply 32 of 89
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 687member
    Might make Apple News a better service now.
    Agreed. The Washington Post is a much better paper. The Times has been too afraid of the wrath of billionaires to be informative. Just need to get rid of Fox News and the WSJ now.
    jeffharris
  • Reply 33 of 89
    TheNubiTheNubi Posts: 19member
     NYT makes a lot of money off of their subscription. Apple News probably added very little, combined with not sharing user info and taking a 30% cut, the NYT decided it wasn’t worth it as a business venture. 

Apple News is one of those things Apple keeps pushing but only does a halfway good job. It maybe good for smaller publications, but the NYT can live without it. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 89
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    This is not the first company complaining about the lack of reader connection. Set aside Hey.Com, many game companies using subscriptions as their business model have voiced similar concerns. It’s not just the ridiculous 30% fee that’s the issue here (that drops after 12 months of successive subscription, but this is only a small percentage).
    You have zero access to connect with your subscribers and build a community; all data is managed by Apple. And you have to trust and rely on one big conglomerate to handle everything for you and play by their privacy rules. 
    Apple has been focusing on privacy, which is a great thing for good PR and brand building, but we’ve seen them gladly changing their rules when it comes to China and Russia. Which means it’s not that much of a true company value when $$$ are in play. Hypocritical behavior.
  • Reply 35 of 89
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    grblade said:
    NYT had a problem with “quality journalism”
    way before Apple News. 
    The quality of their content is not the point of the article. 
    jeffharris
  • Reply 36 of 89
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Many people here are objecting to the idea of "curated News". But as the article says, even the NY Times curates its news because it pays other organizations, presumably the Associated Press, for many of its articles. Make no mistake, that's curated news too, just the same as Apple News+.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 37 of 89
    Many people here are objecting to the idea of "curated News". But as the article says, even the NY Times curates its news because it pays other organizations, presumably the Associated Press, for many of its articles. Make no mistake, that's curated news too, just the same as Apple News+.
    Not to mention every editor at every publication decides what stories get covered in the first place. Editors are the original news curators.

Apple News fails for the subscriber because it charges to access some content and upsells on the rest. It’s a terrible experience. 

Apple news fails for the publisher unless it brings in a windfall of extra revenue and subscribers to justify Apple’s cut. 

The App Store model works for small app
    development shops producing hit apps.  The model doesn’t work for a business that is already invested in managing subscriptions and customer service. 
  • Reply 38 of 89
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    entropys said:
    kkqd1337 said:

This. No one gets to choose what articles I read, regardless of source. This app deserves to fail.
    True. How Apple news chooses what you read? I thought it was always my choice to click on the article and read it. 
    Regardless of which web-site or app - I read some articles others not. 

In general, there is only a Limited number of articles on any web-page/publication. The publication chooses for me / its readers which articles to write and present to me. But only I chose which articles I read. 
    The same with Apple News. They have presented certain articles but I decide what I read. 
    fastasleepRayz2016
  • Reply 39 of 89
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I always thought it was a bit weird that the NYT was on Apple News given their size and that they had their own decent app and subscription system.  It always felt like they were just trialling it.  I subscribe and use the NYT app, and I use it more than Apple News, which is my fifth choice for news app.
  • Reply 40 of 89
    A 30% cut??