Vizio will add Apple TV app to SmartCast smart TV software this summer

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Vizio is bringing the Apple TV app to its lineup of smart televisions, with an update to its SmartCast feature arriving later this summer that also brings other improvements to the software.

Vizio smart TV
Vizio smart TV

The update to the SmartCast software being used in Vizio's smart TVs will reportedly make the experience "even snappier than before," with the company claiming it will allow users to quickly jump in and out of apps and scroll through content at a faster rate.

As part of the update announcement, Vizio advised it was adding to its existing roster of streaming apps, which includes Disney+, Hulu, YouTube TV, CBS All Access, and Amazon Prime Video. Arriving "later this summer" will be two more apps, with the Apple TV app joined by Peacock.

The apps will provide access to 4K HDR content on supported televisions, as well as audio via Dolby Atmos.

Vizio already offers a considerable amount of Apple-related funcionality, with SmartCast already supporting Apple's AirPlay 2 for streaming from iPhones and iPads to the television. It is even possible to use Siri to control the television, and to use it as part of a smart home system like HomeKit.

The update will be available on its speed-boosted 4K 2021 models, as well as all SmartCast-enabled televisions going released since 2016.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Great, now we just need Sony to update their TV's.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    erdichia said:

I gave up on Sony's built-in apps. Love the TV, but the streaming experience is just awful. I bought an ATV 4K and the overall experience is much better. The ATV also does a much better job of scaling up 1080P material to 4K. Also cool is that my Sony remote controls my ATV.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I really regret buying a Vizio. Their software is awful.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    mike1 said:
    erdichia said:

I gave up on Sony's built-in apps. Love the TV, but the streaming experience is just awful. I bought an ATV 4K and the overall experience is much better. The ATV also does a much better job of scaling up 1080P material to 4K. Also cool is that my Sony remote controls my ATV.

Don't they run Android garbage? Like what's the point of Android TV? Just to be spied on?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Beats said:
    mike1 said:
    erdichia said:

Don't they run Android garbage? Like what's the point of Android TV? Just to be spied on?
    Mine is the generation prior to the switch to Android, but pretty bad, nonetheless. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I have an LG 4K TV. It is not connected to the network and is just the screen for my home entertainment system.