Apple's Dark Sky to remain active on Android until Aug. 1

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2022
Dark Sky, the popular weather app that Apple purchased earlier this year, on Wednesday said its Android app will remain functional until Aug. 1.

Dark Sky

The Android iteration of Dark Sky was originally scheduled to reach end of life on Wednesday, but that expiration date has been delayed by one month, the company said in a blog post. Dark Sky on Android will officially shut down on Aug. 1, the post reads.

Dark Sky initially announced plans to shutter its Android app after Apple acquired the firm in March. While the app is still available for purchase on the App Store, its Android counterpart has since been removed from the Google Play Store.

Android device users who downloaded the app prior to its removal will see uninterrupted access for the next month. Subscribers who are active when the app officially shuts down will receive a full refund of a $2.99 annual charge, the company said.

In addition to a withdrawal from Google's platform, Apple is ending weather forecasts, maps, and embeds that were previously available on the Dark Sky website. Like the Android app, those features are slated to sunset on Aug. 1. The Dark Sky API will remain functional through the end of 2020, but the company is no longer accepting new signups.

Apple's interest in Dark Sky is likely the app's API, which includes hyperlocal weather forecasts informed in part by user data.

Read on AppleInsider
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Android users just cannot catch a break. Slow CPUs / GPUs, buggy software, massive security exploits, malware ridden store and folding tablets!
    BeatsRayz2016lkrupprazorpith2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I do not want iKnockoff users to be happy. :smile: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Android users just cannot catch a break. Slow CPUs / GPUs, buggy software, massive security exploits, malware ridden store and folding tablets!
    Gatorbait. 
    williamlondonlkruppJanNLrazorpitBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 610member
    I'm not an Android user, but companies discontinuing products after acquisitions is always a dick move.
    williamlondonMichaelKohl
  • Reply 5 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Gatorbait. 
     <3 
    williamlondonBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    michelb76 said:
    I'm not an Android user, but companies discontinuing products after acquisitions is always a dick move.
    I hate it when Google does stuff like that.
    Beatsmacxpresswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    michelb76 said:

Good think Apple acquired them. Can't wait to see it integrated in iOS!
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    michelb76 said:

So its not okay for Apple or any other company to buy a company for its technology and then only want inside its own products? How is that a dick move? I doubt it bought the app so it could just continue as-is, otherwise they wouldn't have purchased them. Why the hell do you think companies take over/buy other companies? I guess every single company in this world is a dick then.
    edited July 2020 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    macxpress said:
    michelb76 said:

So its not okay for Apple or any other company to buy a company for its technology and then only want inside its own products? How is that a dick move? I doubt it bought the app so it could just continue as-is, otherwise they wouldn't have purchased them. Why the hell do you think companies take over/buy other companies? I guess every single company in this world is a dick then.
    Pretty much.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    FlytrapFlytrap Posts: 60member
    Apple purchased Shazam a few years ago... and not only is it still available on Android, but it is also now available completely ad-free to everybody.

So, I wonder what decision matrix Apple goes thgrough when deciding whether or not to keep supporting and updating versions of recent acquisitions available on rival platforms. Why did Apple decide to keep developing Shazam on Android, but has decided not to keep developing Dark Sky?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Flytrap said:
    Apple purchased Shazam a few years ago... and not only is it still available on Android, but it is also now available completely ad-free to everybody.

So, I wonder what decision matrix Apple goes thgrough when deciding whether or not to keep supporting and updating versions of recent acquisitions available on rival platforms. Why did Apple decide to keep developing Shazam on Android, but has decided not to keep developing Dark Sky?
    Because of antitrust regulations most likely....they're just trying to avoid lawsuits. I hardly doubt shutting down a weather app for Android will result in an antitrust lawsuit.
    h2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Flytrap said:
    Apple purchased Shazam a few years ago... Why did Apple decide to keep developing Shazam on Android, but has decided not to keep developing Dark Sky?
    I'm thinking that Shazam is a sales platform for Apple's music biz. So keep the Android distribution going.
    williamlondonRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    h2p said:
    Flytrap said:
    Apple purchased Shazam a few years ago... Why did Apple decide to keep developing Shazam on Android, but has decided not to keep developing Dark Sky?
    I'm thinking that Shazam is a sales platform for Apple's music biz. So keep the Android distribution going.
    Yeah, it's probably a driver for the Apple Music app, which exists on Android. Maybe Dark Sky will come back to Android when it's Apple rebranded and if Apple sees a way that it can drive other Apple business, though I'm not sure how they could do the latter.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    h2p said:
    Flytrap said:

Yes, this as well...they can point it to Apple Music for Android. I don't see Apple providing DarkSky back to Android.
    watto_cobra