Apple surveying users about iPhone AC adapters amid rumors they'll be sold separately

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Apple is surveying users in Brazil about the USB Power Adapters that came packaged in their iPhones, likely for market research concerning the ubiquitous iPhone accessory.

Apple is surveying users about its 5W USB adapter amid rumors that it'll stop including it with iPhones.
Apple is surveying users about its 5W USB adapter amid rumors that it'll stop including it with iPhones.

Specifically, the survey appears to ask users what they did with the USB adapter that came with their old iPhones. It comes amid rumors that Apple may stop packaging USB chargers with the "iPhone 12" in 2020.

At this time, it looks like the survey is only being seen by Brazilian users. Twitter user @Gunstaxl was the first to post about the survey in Portuguese. On July 3, Twitter user @bedabb_ published a picture of the questionnaire in English.

@MacMagazine @rfischmann sobre a polmica do rumor relacionado a retirada dos carregadores da caixa: comprei um iPhone 11 esse ms e recebi a survey data Apple e fiquei intrigado com essa pergunta. pic.twitter.com/WvPUlOt68F

-- Thorzinho (de ) (@bedabb_)

Some of the possible responses to the survey include "gave it to a family member or friend" and "no longer working or not working well."

Apple periodically conducts surveys like these for market research -- although they typically center on products and not accessories.

On Sunday, well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that Apple would stop bundling power adapters with its iPhones and would instead sell them separately.

That comes after rumors that Apple could ditch ports entirely in favor of an all-wireless charging solution, perhaps as soon as the so-called "iPhone 13" in 2021.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member

I could certainly get by I without yet another charger. I have 4 from previous iPhones and iPods. Plus a 12 watt iPad charger and a 3rd party 2x12 watt charger. So I think I will survive just fine if my next phone comes without one. I prefer to use the 5 watt chargers for my phone, so that they will stay cooler during charging to extend overall battery life. It's very rare for me to need to charge quickly.

As for wired headphones, I have never used them, so I would definitely like to not get more.

jony0bloggerblogAnilu_777jax44uraharaelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 57
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    Bye bye little adapters
    edited July 2020 davgreg
  • Reply 3 of 57
    They should provide updated adapters for fast charging. 
    djames4242napoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 4 of 57
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    They do realize that the cost they pay is nowhere near  the cost they bill their customers? If that were the case I would say don’t include it. Now the wealthiest company in the world can’t afford to include their own charger? Come on!
    napoleon_phoneaparttoysandmemuthuk_vanalingamtechriderdarkvaderchemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 57
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    No, i don't need another crappy old 5W charger --- Apple should have stopped shipping them when the fast charge iPhone 8 came out.

It's time they shipped an 18-30 Watt USB-C charger.  I (will) need one and so does most everybody else who will be buying a new phone. 
    When I pay a grand for a phone I don't want to shell out more to be able charge the  thing.

Don't go K-mart on me Apple!
    davgregelijahgtokyojimu
  • Reply 6 of 57
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    If they take the cost of said charger out of the cost of shipped product, I am all for it as I already have. lot of adapters from previous phones, but those who make the switch from Android will not so that would be a burden to have to purchase things separately. 
    MisterKittoysandme
  • Reply 7 of 57
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Even I have to say that Apple is being rather petty here.  I too have plenty of old chargers from prior iPhones and iPads.  I'm planning on buying the iPhone 12 and I expect not only a power adapter included with what will be a very expensive phone, but one of the highest wattage models available.  That way, I can retire the older, obsolete models.

Considering how much these chargers costs Apple to make compared to the entire cost of an iPhone, I as a consumer should decide what to do with my charger, and not Apple.
    toysandmemuthuk_vanalingamtechriderGeorgeBMacdarkvader80s_Apple_Guyrazorpitchemengin1
  • Reply 8 of 57
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    The 5W charger is like those donut sized spare tires that come with many new cars. They are ok for an emergency, but for general use they are rather pathetic. 

I'd prefer that Apple offer subsidized bundle prices on a variety of "accessory bundles" for the iPhone that include a mix of charging sources, cables, headphones, cases, auto adapters, etc. As long as buyers are 100% clear about what does and doesn't come with the phone I don't see a problem. If I buy what is advertised as a "bare phone" and that is exactly what I receive, I don't see a problem at all, especially if the price I'm paying is commensurate with what's in the box.
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 9 of 57
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I've got 5W chargers running out of my ears. How about this deal, Apple? Get rid of the chargers and EarPods and don't charge more for a 5G equipped iPhone.
    muthuk_vanalingamdavgreg
  • Reply 10 of 57
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sflocal said:
    Even I have to say that Apple is being rather petty here.  I too have plenty of old chargers from prior iPhones and iPads.  I'm planning on buying the iPhone 12 and I expect not only a power adapter included with what will be a very expensive phone, but one of the highest wattage models available.  That way, I can retire the older, obsolete models.

Considering how much these chargers costs Apple to make compared to the entire cost of an iPhone, I as a consumer should decide what to do with my charger, and not Apple.
    Well, I guess you won't be buying that iPhone 12 then.
    geekmee
  • Reply 11 of 57
    I’m not disagreeing with comments from people who expect a faster charger in the box. I imagine that Apple has analytics on how people charge their phone and I know many people, like me, that almost always charge their phone overnight and a 5W charger works fine for that. 

I have an 11 Pro and the battery last me all day without needing a charge. 
    darkvaderuraharamike1
  • Reply 12 of 57
    pslicepslice Posts: 150member
    I would think that a company such as Apple with great phones would include better chargers. These itty bitty chargers should be embarrassing. 
    techriderGeorgeBMacdarkvader80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 13 of 57
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 492member
    I have a drawer full of iPad and iPhone chargers and cables from a history of prior purchases. I would not miss one in the box.
    geekmeeStrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 57
    lkrupp said:
    sflocal said:

I agree with sflocal. For what Apple charges for a iPhone I believe a charger should automatically be included. It should be up to us what we do to our charger. 
    napoleon_phoneaparttechriderdarkvaderchemengin1tokyojimu
  • Reply 15 of 57
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    lkrupp said:
    sflocal said:

I agree with sflocal. For what Apple charges for a iPhone I believe a charger should automatically be included. It should be up to us what we do to our charger. 
    So your logic is they should a charger few people use because the phone is expensive. 

Totally rational, and envrironmentally conscious to boot. Well done sir.  
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 57
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member

lkrupp said:
    I've got 5W chargers running out of my ears. How about this deal, Apple? Get rid of the chargers and EarPods and don't charge more for a 5G equipped iPhone.
    I'm going to first admit that I am not a hardware engineer.  That said, even a 12-year old can recognize that the cost of a charger and earbuds is far less than the cost of a 5G communications chip.

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 57
    cmmtaccmmtac Posts: 4member
    Exactly my thoughts. 
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 521member
    dewme said:
    The 5W charger is like those donut sized spare tires that come with many new cars. They are ok for an emergency, but for general use they are rather pathetic. 

I'd prefer that Apple offer subsidized bundle prices on a variety of "accessory bundles" for the iPhone that include a mix of charging sources, cables, headphones, cases, auto adapters, etc. As long as buyers are 100% clear about what does and doesn't come with the phone I don't see a problem. If I buy what is advertised as a "bare phone" and that is exactly what I receive, I don't see a problem at all, especially if the price I'm paying is commensurate with what's in the box.
    Totally agree. Just like when eating at a restaurant you get certain sides included with the cost of the meal - you just choose which 2 of the 5 available you want tonight. If you want something extra like fully-loaded baked potato or sweet potato fries you pay a little extra and get those. I’d like Apple to do this with accessories at the point of purchase. 
    dewmestompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 57
    tobiwantobiwan Posts: 73member
    5 watt chargers are useless. All iPhones should ship with 18W or better fast chargers and USB-C to lightning or USB-C to USB-C.  

Ridiculous to pay up to $1500 for an iPhone Pro and no charger included.  
    GeorgeBMacMplsPchemengin1
  • Reply 20 of 57
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    I think that the potential savings on Apple’s side are not only driven by the cost of the charger/earbuds, but also by halving the packaging height and hence reducing (packaging and) logistics costs.

Personally, I like the idea of adding a voucher that entitles you pick up a charger for free. 
    toysandmeMisterKitbonobobmuthuk_vanalingamrattlheduraharaJapheydewmestompyMplsP