Apple reportedly evaluating Apple Silicon-powered macOS on iPhone

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    I’m surprised no one has mentioned that prototype folding iPhone/iPad with two screens (whether or not you think you need one).  With 8GB ram and 512gb storage, it could run MacOS.   Super portable.  

Apple doesn’t just throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks.  They fill holes and create avenues for productivity.  They literally make you wonder how you lived without it.  

I don’t need any more toys or tools, but I have an open mind about things.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 87
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    asdasd said:
    Also how does the transition happen. You are running 5 apps on your iOS device and writing some notes. Then you come home, plug it into the monitor and the iPhone now mirrors onto the monitor except it is now showing the apps as Mac OS apps, rather than iOS apps,  which means they are bigger and multi-documented and dont use touch interfaces. So you work on that for a while and save a few windows and put some files on the desktop and then take the iPhone away but the iPhone doesn't have access to the desktop, the multiple windows are gone, and everything is different in layout. 
    This problem was solved years ago. Take a look at Apple Pages, Numbers and Keynote.  These programs (and hundreds of others for that matter) run on Macs, iPhones and iPads without any of the problems you describe. 

Apple already uses Continuity to move your work between devices. 
    GeorgeBMaccflcardsfan80watto_cobra
  • Reply 83 of 87
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    tobian said:
    Desktop Mac environment and apps will always be much more demanding and I can't imagine Apple to allow users to fry their iPhones in some docking stations. Because running macOS on a phone too often would destroy it quickly.
    HAHAHAHA 

where do you come up with stuff like this?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 84 of 87
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I don't recall the year, but was EXCITED as hell when Steve talked about something called "Home on iPod"

You plug in your iPod to a Mac, it then boots to your settings and has all your apps installed. It was basically using the iPod as an external drive. Been waiting and waiting and waiting..... then the stupid cloud crap started with half assed web apps compard to their native versions. I'm tired of drop down after drop down after drop down menu. Native apps gave me keyboard shorts cuts. I could type in the field.... now its ALL menu based, constant mouse movement and slow AF!!!!!
    They abandoned that years ago. It didn’t make that much sense. How many people would need it? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 85 of 87
    tobiantobian Posts: 151member
    tundraboy said:
    tobian said:
    I believe that Apple have prototype models running macOS, just to assure themself how bad idea it is. That's normal. Desktop Mac environment and apps will always be much more demanding and I can't imagine Apple to allow users to fry their iPhones in some docking stations. Because running macOS on a phone too often would destroy it quickly. I think this leaker have revealed it's identity thru this dumb leak and will be fired soon.
    You are right if we assume that technological progress stops today and hardware will never ever get more powerful or more energy efficient.

On the other hand, if we believe what Apple execs said, that they start seriously working on a product about 7 years before the release, with most of the time spent waiting for the hardware technology to catch up to the requirements of the proposed product, then we just might see the device described in the article sometime in the future.  Emphasis on 'might'.

Running full macOS, you can't avoid some people trying crazy things.. like running arm compiled Blender and rendering on it, or playing 4K MKV video, etc. You know this can make even Core i7 Mac running pretty hot. Try this on passive cooled little box. Soon the battery get swollen, and the entire board would die some time later. You can't avoid dumb geek youtubers telling the "iPhone can't make it", or "look it's not that powerful" - due to downclocking quickly. 
    Sure you can do that nowadays by using some dirty cydia apps, but that would be an OOW experimenting. On the other hand, macOS allows not only AppStore software to run, with some broad hardware reliability. I don't want macOS to became AppStore walled garden toy OS in sake of control over user experience.

You would end with people asking 2nd hand iPhone resellers "have this iPhone been used as docked computing unit alot?". Coz these might be unreliable even as a phone.
  • Reply 86 of 87
    tobiantobian Posts: 151member

Just because they could run MacOS using an iPhone's hardware, doesn't make it a good idea.
    This is not about convergence at all. It is about either running iOS or MacOS. The fundamental problem with MacOS is the lack of touchscreen support.
    Once MacOS gets touchscreen support, you won't need iOS anymore.

Samsung DeX is the correct way to go: you use the same OS in both modes, you share exactly the same files, the same apps and you have a perfect seamless switch between both. Android is a real capable OS because it is basically Linux.
    Since Office, Outlook and Teams for Android, you have everything you need in DeX, including real desktop sharing, connecting a second monitor, running all Android apps. Actually everything that people are excited about in this discussion. Oh, I forgot ... it is from Samsung and therefore Apple fans cannot admit that it is good.

Perhaps because it's not that good. It's still JVM runtime memory hungry bullshit, no true linux advantage here, sorry.
    watto_cobra