Apple, Google comply with Indian government order to ban Chinese apps

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple and Google are complying with a new Indian government order to block apps developed by Chinese firms.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Two days after New Delhi's order was implemented, the two Silicon Valley giants began to prevent users in India from seeing the 59 blocked apps on the App Store or Google Play store.

While Google told TechCrunch that it was "temporarily" blocking access to the apps, Apple did not respond to a request for comment.

On Monday, the Indian government said it would ban the 59 apps on concerns that they were engaging in activities that threatened the "national security and defense of India." More specifically, it appears those concerns center around "security and data and breach of privacy" related to data mining and profiling.

The list of apps is extensive, but includes TikTok, WeChat and Xiaomi's Mi Community, among others. TikTok reportedly blocked access to their app voluntarily after the order was given.

Tensions have been rising between India and China in recent weeks after a skirmish on disputed Himalayan border territory left 20 Indian soldiers dead. A report earlier on Thursday indicated that the instability in the region is impacting Apple's supply chain.

As one of the largest smartphone markets in the world, India has increasingly become a critical market for Apple and other tech companies. In 2020, Apple is planning to boost both its manufacturing and retail footprint in the country.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Sorry India.  I recommend deescalation.  We’ve seen this show before, and India got their a$$ kicked.

Besides India’s problem is with China, not Chinese companies.  This move comes across as weak and petty.

“China, you’ve violated our nations territory.  So, we’ll no longer watch humorous videos on TikTok!”  Wait... what?
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 2 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    Sorry India.  I recommend deescalation.  We’ve seen this show before, and India got their a$$ kicked.

Besides India’s problem is with China, not Chinese companies.  This move comes across as weak and petty.

“China, you’ve violated our nations territory.  So, we’ll no longer watch humorous videos on TikTok!”  Wait... what?
    You'll note they didn't ban all Chinese apps (because then the App Store would be pretty threadbare), only 59 of them -- which collect a lot of data that likely finds its way to the Chinese government. Same reasoning behind the USA's ban of nearly anything to do with Huawei. Seems like a prudent move to me, and frankly the entire world could do with less TikTok -- that thing's a data and privacy sieve.

Edit: 2000th post!
    edited July 2020 Oferbulk001viclauyycmuthuk_vanalingamdk49ivanhmtrivisoaderuttermrmacgeekhippo
  • Reply 3 of 10
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    @chasm Congrats on your 2,000rh post! And a well reasoned one at that! While I am not a big fan of much of our US foreign policy, I am really supportive of a much stronger political response to China. 
    mtrivisomrmacgeekhippowatto_cobrachasm
  • Reply 4 of 10
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Besides India’s problem is with China, not Chinese companies.
    That is the funniest thing I've heard all day.

I am sure the Huawei lady thanks you mightily for your brilliant idea for her extradition defense.
    riverkoviclauyycdk49ivanhmrmacgeekhippo
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mtrivisomtriviso Posts: 21member
    Apple should just pull the App Store from China. Let the CCP build their own app store with only Communist Party Approved apps! 
  • Reply 6 of 10
    xiao-zhixiao-zhi Posts: 112member
    Let’s see is Apple faces the same level of criticism when they comply with Indian government app bans as the do complying with Chinese restrictions. 

I guess the usual suspects touting India as great open democracy and Apple as a weak toad for complying with China regulations will be silent or have some other story.

In fact, India has far more import restrictions than China but gets a pass on it.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

xiao-zhi said:
    Let’s see is Apple faces the same level of criticism when they comply with Indian government app bans as the do complying with Chinese restrictions. 

I guess the usual suspects touting India as great open democracy and Apple as a weak toad for complying with China regulations will be silent or have some other story.

In fact, India has far more import restrictions than China but gets a pass on it.
    Ha ha. How so? Google, Facebook, Netflix, Tumblr, Pinterest, Twitch, Dropbox, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, Amazon, Reddit, Slack, Snap, YouTube are all allowed to compete in India.

How many of these can freely compete in China?
    edited July 2020 muthuk_vanalingammrmacgeekhippogatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Where is the list of these 59 apps? I want to make sure I have them banned on my devices too!  :D

<edit>
    Found it:
    https://www.businessinsider.in/tech/apps/news/checkout-the-name-of-the-chinese-banned-apps-in-india/articleshow/76696132.cms
    edited July 2020 hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    hippohippo Posts: 25member
    Where is the list of these 59 apps? I want to make sure I have them banned on my devices too!  :D

<edit>
    Found it:
    https://www.businessinsider.in/tech/apps/news/checkout-the-name-of-the-chinese-banned-apps-in-india/articleshow/76696132.cms

Thank you! I've removed them too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    chasm said:

Edit: 2000th post!
    Congrats Chasm! Hope to see you continue being the active member you are. We have a good thing going here. 
    chasm