Tom Hanks disappointed with Apple TV+ 'Greyhound' release

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 688member
    Even before the virus was mishandled and forced us into our homes, I rarely went to the theater. People think it's their living room and act like animals.

I invested in a 65" LG TV and a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos killer sound system. We'll experience it just fine on Friday, Tom.
    edited July 2020 XedroundaboutnowronnGeorgeBMactokyojimu
  • Reply 22 of 80
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 688member
    It seems it isn’t so much that he is disappointed with the release being on TV+, specifically, and more that he is disappointed it is not a theatrical release. 

I tend to not watch trailers, as they seem to take away from the enjoyment of a movie when it is actually seen, and I haven’t seen the trailer for this movie. I’m looking forward to July 10 as I usually like Tom Hanks’ choice of roles. 
    I believe he’s disappointed with no theatrical because it prevents his film from being considered for the Oscars.
    Wrong. The Academy announced that streaming films will be eligible for Oscar consideration (just for next year's Oscars, assuming that the virus doesn't continue to be mishandled). The truth is that the vast majority of films seen by members are watched on video anyway.
    Xedtmayronnmdriftmeyer
  • Reply 23 of 80
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    Appleish said:
    It seems it isn’t so much that he is disappointed with the release being on TV+, specifically, and more that he is disappointed it is not a theatrical release. 

I tend to not watch trailers, as they seem to take away from the enjoyment of a movie when it is actually seen, and I haven’t seen the trailer for this movie. I’m looking forward to July 10 as I usually like Tom Hanks’ choice of roles. 
    I believe he’s disappointed with no theatrical because it prevents his film from being considered for the Oscars.
    Wrong. The Academy announced that streaming films will be eligible for Oscar consideration (just for next year's Oscars, assuming that the virus doesn't continue to be mishandled). The truth is that the vast majority of films seen by members are watched on video anyway.
    And even if they didn't announce that change for 2020 movies, all Apple would have to do (just like what Netflix has done) is put in in a theater for a week. I believe one showing a day for 7 days with extremely limited seating would suffice.
    tmayronn
  • Reply 24 of 80
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'd be disappointed too.    The little screen simply isn't a replacement for the big screen.   Beyond that having your work sold off to Apple must suck.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    Xed said:

Regarding the vaccine, I had heard from Dr. Agus(sp?) on Howard Stern that a lab has been working on a vaccine for about a decade for a different but similar virus, which should help bring a vaccination to market much sooner than expected. Of course, some will read that as the gov't had already had a vaccine made because they created it.

Pt2: yes, because twits are twats.

Pt1: Indeed. There has been quite a bit of work on vaccines for different members of the Coronavirus family. The trick is finding one that works, that continues to work despite mutations, and then you still need to test it to confirm potency and safety*.

*it's rare, but some vaccines can prime the immune system to overreact.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    Perhaps Mr. Hanks would rather his pet project not come out at all.

And he, of all people, should understand that these are not typical times; and that he should put his "disappointment" in perspective. Afterall, many people from around the world are also "disappointed"... that they have parents, grandparents, siblings, or even sons or daughters, that are no longer alive due to Coronavirus. Whole families have been wiped-out. And Hanks is complaining that he had to sit in front of a white wall for an interview?!? Cry me a river!

His diatribe comes off as extremely-offputting, immature and entitled whining, not befitting his rather considerable talents.
    elijahg
  • Reply 27 of 80
    Apple could fix the quality issue by allowing users to pre-download (cache) the full quality movie to their devices before watching it. This is something that none of the streaming services provide. It is likely a dumb licensing restriction. Content owners want the streaming quality to be reduced so that they can sell a higher quality digital master version of the movie (a guess). Never mind that many (most?) customers have bandwidth limits or restrictions that make it impossible to even get the best streaming quality and have to put up with freezes, stutters or super blurry video at random intervals. Hanks is absolutely correct that the quality of his film has been reduced. He is being rather kind in not saying just how much it has been reduced.
    You need to talk with your ISP about your QoS issues.
    Xed
  • Reply 28 of 80
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Perhaps Mr. Hanks would rather his pet project not come out at all.

And he, of all people, should understand that these are not typical times; and that he should put his "disappointment" in perspective. Afterall, many people from around the world are also "disappointed"... that they have parents, grandparents, siblings, or even sons or daughters, that are no longer alive due to Coronavirus. Whole families have been wiped-out. And Hanks is complaining that he had to sit in front of a white wall for an interview?!? Cry me a river!

His diatribe comes off as extremely-offputting, immature and entitled whining, not befitting his rather considerable talents.
    Diatribe?  It's a couple of comments in an interview, where the interviewer probably asked questions directly about the subject.

Perspective doesn't mean that no one can complain or be upset about anything ever.  If you think it does then I suggest you stop wasting your time getting angry on the internet about a celebrity.
    ronnGeorgeBMacpscooter63bbh
  • Reply 29 of 80
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Coronavirus delays will cause loss in momentum for AppleTV+  After my free one year expires I'm currently not compelled enough to pay. It will take a couple of more years to start to catch up to Netflix's strong, diverse, high quality catalog. I just dropped YoutubeTV due to the increase to $64/mo - more money and less to watch (No live sports)! If Apple negotiates adding live TV network programming, specialty network options, and maybe some decent (non Disney - since that's covered) movies, priced right or bundled, I would consider adding their service.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Well, let’s be honest, he likes movies in theatres. He made it with a theatre in mind. Now it’s a direct to TV, a big step down.
    Suppose you wrote a book and discovered that it would only come out on Kindle.
    Suppose you baked a wedding cake, and discovered that the wedding was cancelled.
    Suppose you wrote a beautiful song, and discovered that your patron kept it for only themselves to listen to.
    Suppose you painted a beautiful picture and discovered that the person who bought it only wanted it for an investment so it would stay in a vault until it came time to sell.

Hanks made this with the idea that crowds of people would be in a theatre enjoying it. Now yes lots of people will see it, but not the way he had in mind. I’d be disappointed too. 
    ronnrandominternetpersonjmulchinoentropyssirbryanbbh
  • Reply 31 of 80
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member
    larryjw said:
    mtriviso said:
    Sigh. Just open the movie theaters. There's nothing like watching a movie in a massive IMAX 3D theater. If people are frightened they might get the rona, then just stay at home. Please, just let the rest of us who are unafraid enjoy what our acting troupes have to offer in the milieu to which we have become accustomed. 
    Frightened? Maybe informed. My grandparents and parents were WWI and WWII generations. And I'm a boomer pre-vaccine and pre-antibiotics. We know disease and pandemics first hand. 

In reviewing census data for genealogy I would run across families asked how many children did you have? 14. How many still living? 4. My grandparents lost young siblings  and cousins to disease. STDs were a big problem among girls and guys in uniform stateside during WWII -- my mother's job was to help treat them. So was TB -- sanitariums built across the nation to confine them. Nobody thought it was bravery to not care if you came down with these diseases. Certainly, there was sympathy sometimes, but getting sick and not pulling your weight was morally reprehensible. 

Being brave by ignoring a disease. My father's WWII diary mentions some other GI's getting sick -- great way to stay behind for some R&R while others did the fighting for you. Malingering was a problem and pissed off others pulling their weight. 

And I had the pleasure of contracting polio during the 50's epidemic. It was no fun. 

So, coming down with Covid-19 when you are fortunate enough to be able to take precautions is really morally reprehensible -- not willing to pull your weight. 
    Dang, I was just going to say don't feed the trolls but that is quite a story. Thanks for sharing and I wish everyone had a chance to hear that. Everyone, not just the laissez faire dismissers like this person. We can defeat this and it's not a choice between lockdown and freedom; it's a choice between what works and what doesn't. We can bend the curve and eliminate this threat or just be selfish. I live in a rural place in the US that so far seems relatively untouched but I'm not afraid of using measures known to reduce the spread of this virus.
    pscooter63ronnjony0
  • Reply 32 of 80
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,666member
    DAalseth said:
    Well, let’s be honest, he likes movies in theatres. He made it with a theatre in mind. Now it’s a direct to TV, a big step down.
    Suppose you baked a wedding cake, and discovered that the wedding was cancelled.
    Suppose you wrote a beautiful song, and discovered that your patron kept it for only themselves to listen to.
    Suppose you painted a beautiful picture and discovered that the person who bought it only wanted it for an investment so it would stay in a vault until it came time to sell.

Hanks made this with the idea that crowds of people would be in a theatre enjoying it. Now yes lots of people will see it, but not the way he had in mind. I’d be disappointed too. 
    While that is true, life is full of disappointments. The reason this happened was due to the impact of COVID-19.

And it is there that his frustration should be directed. 

Instead, he fires shots at the saviors of his movie and even calls them names - like a child would do. 

Everyone understands the pain of an artist creating a masterpiece only for it end up in the local museum rather than a major gallery.

But it is what it is. Hanks is an old man. Old enough to know better. than to whine over something that he couldn't control - and certainly old enough to know better than to attack those who have rescued his sinking ship (pardon the pun).

Be happy you made some coin, got to practice your craft, and though it wasn't presented the way you want, it's better than tanking entirely. 

If ever there was a moment for the man to point out a life lesson in the current times, he not only missed it, but he let the opportunity turn into a childish rant that paints him as less of an industry icon than he is. 

set your frustrations at the uncontrollable things in life - like COVID - or the fact that we had to be locked down as a result. But to fire shots at those who ensured your movie made money? Wow.

time to grow up, Mr. Hanks. 
    edited July 2020 StrangeDayselijahgrossb2jony0
  • Reply 33 of 80
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    mtriviso said:
    Sigh. Just open the movie theaters. There's nothing like watching a movie in a massive IMAX 3D theater. If people are frightened they might get the rona, then just stay at home. Please, just let the rest of us who are unafraid enjoy what our acting troupes have to offer in the milieu to which we have become accustomed. 
    It’s not a case of being afraid. It’s a case of being responsible. 
    elijahgAppleishtmayronnjony0
  • Reply 34 of 80
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    DAalseth said:

While that is true, life is full of disappointments. The reason this happened was due to the impact of COVID-19.

And it is there that his frustration should be directed. 

Instead, he fires shots at the saviors of his movie and even calls them names - like a child would do. 

Everyone understands the pain of an artist creating a masterpiece only for it end up in the local museum rather than a major gallery.

But it is what it is. Hanks is an old man. Old enough to know better. than to whine over something that he couldn't control - and certainly old enough to know better than to attack those who have rescued his sinking ship (pardon the pun).

Be happy you made some coin, got to practice your craft, and though it wasn't presented the way you want, it's better than tanking entirely. 

If ever there was a moment for the man to point out a life lesson in the current times, he not only missed it, but he let the opportunity turn into a childish rant that paints him as less of an industry icon than he is. 

set your frustrations at the uncontrollable things in life - like COVID - or the fact that we had to be locked down as a result. But to fire shots at those who ensured your movie made money? Wow.

time to grow up, Mr. Hanks. 
    Read the interview.  You've whined here about Hanks way more than Hanks talked about Apple.  It was a couple of sentences in a 30 paragraph interview that was explicitly to do with the purpose of him being interviewed - the film, and how it's being delivered. 

Not a "rant", not an "attack" or a "shot", just a sadness about something that was close to his heart.  There's no need to be a prick about that.
    tmayGeorgeBMacpscooter63ronnjmulchinorossb29secondkox2jony0
  • Reply 35 of 80
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    mtriviso said:
    You, and the seven people who upvoted for you, are either the epitome of selfishness and irresponsibility, incredibly ignorant, or incredibly stupid. That you don't get the reasons we're in the boat we're in, and why social distancing and mask wearing are essential right now, proves that one of those describes you all.

You're collectively a waste of good oxygen.
    edited July 2020 XedDAalsethGeorgeBMactokyojimuronnk2kwITGUYINSDjony0
  • Reply 36 of 80
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    sacto joe said:
    mtriviso said:
    You, and the seven people who upvoted for you, are either the epitome of selfishness and irresponsibility, incredibly ignorant, or incredibly stupid. That you don't get the reasons we're in the boat we're in, and why social distancing and mask wearing are essential right now, proves that one of those describes you all.

You're collectively a waste of good oxygen.
    While pathetic and unfortunate, it's expected when insecure, racist leaders politicize public safety for financial gain. Their weak followers follow suit without question… every…. single… time.
    DAalsethGeorgeBMactmayronnjony0
  • Reply 37 of 80
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I'm looking forward to this because of the compelling subject matter. I respect Tom Hanks and appreciate his abilities. but I'm pretty sure there are a plethora of aspiring actors who would have jumped at the opportunity to play the same role without feeling compelled to complain about the release not being "perfect." As a matter of fact, the sailors who were part of the Battle of the Atlantic were faced with a far more troubling state of imperfection while fighting a life and death battle with less than full appreciation from their fellow citizens since these battles occurred prior to the United State's declaration of war against the Axis powers. The sailors who died on the USS Reuben James DD-245 and mariners on merchant vessels during the Battle of the Atlantic would probably have a much different bar for establishing "disappointment" than does Tom Hanks. 
  • Reply 38 of 80
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member

"I don't mean to make angry my Apple overlords, but there is a difference in picture and sound quality," offers Hanks.

Did Apple lower the quality? If so, this is completely unacceptable and reason for Apple users to boycott Apple TV+. This infuriates me.

• Reply 39 of 80
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member

Haha! “coulda been a contender!”
    On the water instead of the waterfront  too.
  • Reply 40 of 80

I wouldn't be shocked if that rule is changed this year.