Tom Hanks now says 'Greyhound' film was 'rescued at sea' by Apple TV+

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    I'm sure Mr. Hanks was surprised that what he said was spun into a slam on Apple. Of course he's heartbroken that his film isn't going to be shown in theaters. Up until a few months ago, he was always (at least since Bosom Buddies wrapped...) in the business of making movies to play on the big screen. Film studios are struggling to sort out what films to hold onto until theaters can reopen, what to send straight into the home market, and how to pace all that out, given that most film production has been at a standstill for months. 

Perhaps once a vaccine emerges to set us on a path to recovery, this will create an opportunity for lower-budget and independent films to fill an early gap, by virtue of being able to get from take one, scene one to general theatrical release much more quickly. 
    Incidentally, a vaccine may never be developed according to Fauci and others. Better to just do your best to minimize spread and get on with your life.
    That is not correct. Fauci says that a vaccine may not give lifetime immunity. That’s a very different thing from “may never be developed.” There are actually quite a few vaccines going into second and third trial phases already. 
    There is no guarantee any of them will work. Of course I hope this thing can be cracked immediately... who isn’t hoping for the best?
  • Reply 22 of 29
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    AppleZulu said:
    I'm sure Mr. Hanks was surprised that what he said was spun into a slam on Apple. Of course he's heartbroken that his film isn't going to be shown in theaters. Up until a few months ago, he was always (at least since Bosom Buddies wrapped...) in the business of making movies to play on the big screen. Film studios are struggling to sort out what films to hold onto until theaters can reopen, what to send straight into the home market, and how to pace all that out, given that most film production has been at a standstill for months. 

Perhaps once a vaccine emerges to set us on a path to recovery, this will create an opportunity for lower-budget and independent films to fill an early gap, by virtue of being able to get from take one, scene one to general theatrical release much more quickly. 
    Incidentally, a vaccine may never be developed according to Fauci and others. Better to just do your best to minimize spread and get on with your life.
    Faucci has proven erratic, and unreliable at best. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 29
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,303member
    williamh said:
    I’m really looking forward to seeing this.  That said, $70m seems like a huge amount for Apple to pay for 1 movie. 
    Why? They paid billions for a crappy headphone company just to get the streaming service. 
  • Reply 24 of 29
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 510member
    hexclock said:
    AppleZulu said:

Faucci has proven erratic, and unreliable at best. 
    Not even close to true, but in his defense, the virus is novel and no one knows much about it in the 6 months it's been with us.  Who, in your opinion, is less erratic and more reliable with regards to the COVID-19?  
    sully54headfull0wineronn
  • Reply 25 of 29
    bbhbbh Posts: 134member
    I would bet most of these potential "blockbusters" that are being diverted to the Home Screen because of COVID-19 have an escape valve that would allow re-release to the Big Screen if movie houses ever return to normal.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    The original comments were open for interpretation. Being heartbroken that the movie wasn't being seen on the big screen is not equal to being heartbroken that Apple bought the movie rights. Yet AppleInsider's original headline portrayed it that Hanks was upset with Apple. That was a disservice to all readers. Shameful.
    actually it wasn’t very open to interpretation. He called Apple an overlord, and also mentioned "the cruel whipmasters at Apple", so the relationship isn’t very good.
    And the way he symbolises Apple as a "
    convoy with a big Apple logo with a bite taken", is clearly satirical...
    He has is own reasons, probably because he lost control over his project.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    ppietra said:
    The original comments were open for interpretation. Being heartbroken that the movie wasn't being seen on the big screen is not equal to being heartbroken that Apple bought the movie rights. Yet AppleInsider's original headline portrayed it that Hanks was upset with Apple. That was a disservice to all readers. Shameful.
    actually it wasn’t very open to interpretation. He called Apple an overlord, and also mentioned "the cruel whipmasters at Apple", so the relationship isn’t very good.
    And the way he symbolises Apple as a "convoy with a big Apple logo with a bite taken", is clearly satirical...

Perhaps you've never heard Tom Hanks speak before? He can be extremely tongue-in-cheek and sarcastic. I seriously doubt he said or meant any of it out of spite. People need to get a sense of humor.
    ronncrowleySpamSandwich
  • Reply 28 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mjtomlin said:
    ppietra said:
    And the way he symbolises Apple as a "convoy with a big Apple logo with a bite taken", is clearly satirical...

Perhaps you've never heard Tom Hanks speak before? He can be extremely tongue-in-cheek and sarcastic. I seriously doubt he said or meant any of it out of spite. People need to get a sense of humor.
    Absolutely right. He’s almost never in a bad mood when he’s being interviewed. I can’t think of a single instance of him maligning anyone through an interviewer.
    ronn
  • Reply 29 of 29
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:

That is not correct. Fauci says that a vaccine may not give lifetime immunity. That’s a very different thing from “may never be developed.” There are actually quite a few vaccines going into second and third trial phases already. 
    There is no guarantee any of them will work. Of course I hope this thing can be cracked immediately... who isn’t hoping for the best?
    There’s also no guarantee any of us will wake up alive tomorrow. I think everyone should be aware that the entire point of clinical trials is to determine whether a medication works or or doesn’t. Wouldn’t be much pint in doing the trials if we already know the outcome.  

That doesn’t negate the fact that you incorrectly attributed information to Dr. Fauci.  
    ronn