Revealed: Here's what Apple's new 'iPhone 12' lineup looks like

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Beyond the size and the edge, everything else are still speculations.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 28
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 786member
    That extra "mystery port" on the side look suspiciously like the diagnostic port on the Apple Watch.

It might be a leadup to Apple eliminating wired connections completely (like the watch).
    That would blow. USB-C would be much better and more flexible.

Bluetooth headphones (like my AirPods Pro) sound terrible compared to my wired headphones (Etymotic ER4S and Grado SR-325).

Mainly, I use my iPhone for portable music storage. I don’t keep music or media files on my MacBook Pro to keep the SSD clear for work files. 
    At home, my iTunes folder is on an external RAID. So, on the road, usually at different clients’ offices, the iPhone acts like an external media drive. 

It would definitely be a big step back to lose a wired connection.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 28
    martinp13martinp13 Posts: 11member
    viclauyyc said:
    The “iPhone SE and iPhone 12“ compare photo is bad. Can’t tell the difference of screen size of the IP 12 at all.
    It's a chunk of metal/plastic/etc used for phone case sizing, not a real phone (just like the article said). It has no "screen".
  • Reply 24 of 28
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    There could be an upgrade in my future! The "12" being so close in size to the original SE makes me happy. Really happy.
    right_said_fredpulseimagesentropys
  • Reply 25 of 28
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    That extra "mystery port" on the side look suspiciously like the diagnostic port on the Apple Watch.

It might be a leadup to Apple eliminating wired connections completely (like the watch).
    That would blow. USB-C would be much better and more flexible.

Bluetooth headphones (like my AirPods Pro) sound terrible compared to my wired headphones (Etymotic ER4S and Grado SR-325).

Mainly, I use my iPhone for portable music storage. I don’t keep music or media files on my MacBook Pro to keep the SSD clear for work files. 
    At home, my iTunes folder is on an external RAID. So, on the road, usually at different clients’ offices, the iPhone acts like an external media drive. 

It would definitely be a big step back to lose a wired connection.

Yeh, there's always a trade-off as things move on.
    But an iPhone is not and was never meant to be a desktop replacement.   It's a mobile device -- and eliminating ports would make it a better mobile device by freeing up internal space (for a thinner phone, bigger battery, separate GPU, etc.) as well as making it more durable by making it more water and dust resistant.

And beside:  if, as I speculated, this is another form of the diagnostic port on the Apple Watch, then that means that it is not just a bump on the phone -- it can pass data.
    Alternatively, they could simply add the 3 dots and make it a smart connector like on the iPad Pro -- and potentially replace the lightening port with it
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    martinp13 said:
    viclauyyc said:
    The “iPhone SE and iPhone 12“ compare photo is bad. Can’t tell the difference of screen size of the IP 12 at all.
    It's a chunk of metal/plastic/etc used for phone case sizing, not a real phone (just like the article said). It has no "screen".

it is too mach work.
    Original image was found in Forbes article.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    mike1 said:
    ...retention of the Lightning port

Yech....

Yay
    Don’t you have any device you charge with USB-C?

I want USB-C so I could charge everything with any cable. I already have been charging 5 devices with USB-C:
    MacBookPro
    MacBook Air
    iPad Pro
    Headphones 1
    Headphones 2

I want to get rid of 5 (lightning) extra cables for family iPhones. 
  • Reply 28 of 28
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member

roake said:
    wkneip said:
    Could that new side section be a new form of touch id?
    No.  I don't think so.  I believe it's a smart connecter.  I think Touch ID will come back as "under the screen" Touch ID.  Although, there are rumors that the Apple Watch eventually will get Touch ID in the tip of the crown.  If they can get the technology that small, AND the "under the screen" tech remains far from fruition, they may place a Touch ID under one of the buttons, probably the power button.

It might be a leadup to Apple eliminating wired connections completely (like the watch).  That would not only save valuable internal space (like eliminating the headphone jack did) but one of the leading causes of failure as the lightening port often fills with pocket lint and the connectors wear or get chipped in the cleaning process.  It would also make the phone more water and dust resistant.
    I don’t want to exchange convenience for additional level of water resistance (removing of the port). 

I want more convenience: Apple give us USB-C on iPhone and AirPods Pro!