Apple TV+ subscribers irked by 'Greyhound' audio sync issue

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
A number of subscribers of Apple TV are discovering sound problems in recent release "Greyhound," with an audio sync issue being noticed roughly an hour into the movie.

Tom Hanks in 'Greyhound'
Tom Hanks in 'Greyhound'

The Tom Hanks WWII movie "Greyhound" became available to view on Apple's streaming video service on July 10. As a high-profile release for Apple TV+, it has attracted an audience keen to consume fresh content, but not everyone watching the movie is getting an optimal experience.

Posts on Twitter from its release by subscribers indicate that there is an audio synchronization issue with the movie, residing about an hour into the film. Multiple people on Twitter point out the audio doesn't match the video at the 58 minute mark, with the problem lasting for approximately two minutes before rectifying.

Dear @AppleTV at 58:27 into the new Apple TV+ show "Greyhound" starring @tomhanks there is a Jump Cut and the audio becomes out of sync for some time. My guess is that it's a delay issue either on the upload side or on the Masrer, FYI.

-- Joey Lozano (@JoeySnap71)

It is unclear exactly how many people are affected by the problem, but the relatively small number of complaints on social media suggests it is limited in terms of whom it affects. None of the tweets indicate specific circumstances that could prompt the existence of the issue, such as the use of certain hardware or regionality.

Attempts by AppleInsider to replicate the issue have failed, indicating it isn't something that affects all Apple TV+ users watching the film.

"Greyhound" tells the story of Captain Ernest Krause, played by Hanks, a naval officer in charge of an international armada of ships delivering troops and supplies to allied forces during the Battle of the Atlantic. The film deals with the immense pressures felt by the crew, and Krause's battle with himself to lead the armada.

During marketing for the movie, star Hanks inadvertently poured water on its release, expressing disappointment that it was shown on Apple TV+ instead of theaters. In a second interview, he clarified his comments to say that he was "actually thrilled that Apple TV+ is making it possible for everyone to see it."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    I also had that, on my second watch (yesterday) I realized it was out of sync. Not sure if I just missed it, or it wasn’t an issue in my first watch, at Friday.

Then again AppleTV+ has been very quirky on my aging AppleTV 3rd gen, from the very start.

At first, video would roll-back by about a minute, as audio would go on, killing the whole experience—then I had to plug my Mac to the TV to watch everything. The latest software update was able to fix it, earlier this year, but with it came along new bugs: I am Brazilian, I always watch content on original audio (whichever it may be), but with English, if I feel like a more relaxed experience, I turn on subtitles. The language settings won’t stick (even using global preferences), every time I watch anything, more often than not, I have to specifically set audio/subtitles; all available subtitles are SDH, which is not what I occasionally need! All non-SDH subtitles are gone since the software update.

I'm really on the verge of buying a new AppleTV. Just holding out in case a updated model comes out in the next 2–3 months.
    viclauyyc
  • Reply 2 of 37
    MurvelMurvel Posts: 24member
    Is this really worth writing about? Must be the least relevant story I’ve seen here so far.
    williamlondonflyingdplkruppanantksundaramStrangeDaysmazda 3s
  • Reply 3 of 37
    MacQcMacQc Posts: 14member
    I did not notice, but my wife did. A small embrassement for Apple, but change nothing in the appreciation of the movie (we liked it, would have been indeed spectacular on a big screen).  
  • Reply 4 of 37
    We noticed it.  It seems like a compression glitch. I force quit the app and reopened the video and it started playing in sync from that moment. 
    spock1234
  • Reply 5 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MacQc said:
    I did not notice, but my wife did. A small embrassement for Apple, but change nothing in the appreciation of the movie (we liked it, would have been indeed spectacular on a big screen).  
    "A small embarrassment for Apple"? Two minutes? That's the biggest load of bullshit in history. Subscribers were irked by two minutes of audio problems? What? Are they going to request a pro-rated refund from Apple now? Will a class action be far behind? THIS is why our society and culture is doomed. The country is full of bat shit crazy pissants who think they are entitled to perfection. I am just blown away by the shear idiocracy displayed in this story.
    edited July 2020 anantksundaramspock1234jony0luisfrochaDetnator
  • Reply 6 of 37
    diz_geekdiz_geek Posts: 57member
    Yep, noticed it. 3rd gen AppleTV. My wife and I were like “what the...?”  I force closed the app, restarted the movie again, experienced the issue again but then suddenly things were back to normal. We figured it was just some sort of data hiccup. A little annoying, but hardly a major problem in the enjoyment of the film. 
    Detnator
  • Reply 7 of 37
    MacQcMacQc Posts: 14member
    lkrupp said:
    MacQc said:
    "A small embarrassment for Apple"? Two minutes? That's the biggest load of bullshit in history. Subscribers were irked by two minutes of audio problems? What? Are they going to request a pro-rated refund from Apple now? Will a class action be far behind? THIS is why our society and culture is doomed. The country is full of bat shit crazy pissants who think they are entitled to perfection. I am just blown away by the shear idiocracy displayed in this story.
    I did not care, neither my wife. « A small embarrassment for Apple » because I suspect people will want to make fun of them for this small imperfection in a very competitive entertainment segment. Even Appleinsider talks about it : ) But that’s all. As I said, personally, we did not care.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    Murvel said:
    Is this really worth writing about? Must be the least relevant story I’ve seen here so far.
    Relevant enough for you to take the time to post a comment. 
    ronnluisfrochapulseimageschemengin1
  • Reply 9 of 37
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    lkrupp said:
    MacQc said:
    Would you like a hug? x 
    ronnBeatsfastasleepchemengin1
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    MacQc said:
    Yeah, I paused it, hit play and the problem was gone. 

We get this on Sky TV occasionally as well. 

Must be a slow news weekend. 

Great movie though. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    edited July 2020 StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 37
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    It is unclear exactly how many people are affected by the problem, but the relatively small number of complaints on social media suggests it is limited in terms of whom it affects. None of the tweets indicate specific circumstances that could prompt the existence of the issue, such as the use of certain hardware or regionality.
    It would probably be easier for Apple if they had a button like Netflix has on their player that allows users to report issues. That way they could identify the source of the problem more easily and people wouldn't feel inclined to post the issues publicly.

It should be possible to automate audio sync issues though. A movie has around 160,000 frames so they'd just have an index of a frame that matches an index in an audio track, if the same indexes in the audio aren't playing back at the same time as the matching frames, it can get reported in real-time. Same with things like buffering whether it's a CDN issue or an ISP issue, if they don't already.
    ronn
  • Reply 12 of 37
    adszaloadszalo Posts: 1member
    The Morning Show and Defending Jacob has that same issue of audio sync delay. Is there anyone at Apple that can assist with this issue? This happens in all the episodes.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    LenardHLenardH Posts: 21member
    Worked fine for me. Most of the time I don’t look at the lips of the character talking anyway, just listening.

Not into reading lips...

Great movie....
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Not appropriate for the OP but excuse me AI : https://macgui.com/news/article.php?t=454 in 2020 a Disk Cache! may solve the lag issue.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Hardly more of an embarrassment for Apple than spending $70 million for a mediocre film with shallow character development.  But it fits with the “uplifting” family style pablum that Comrade Cook is pushing. 
    pulseimages
  • Reply 16 of 37
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Not appropriate for the OP but excuse me AI : https://macgui.com/news/article.php?t=454 in 2020 a Disk Cache! may solve the lag issue.

If it's a master transfer problem then it doesn't. matter.

The movie is downvoted on every youtube video over conspiracy theories. This movie is so controversial I might watch it.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    if there were, i did not notice. the movie was good, and that’s all that matters. 
    Beatsfastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    adszalo said:
    The Morning Show and Defending Jacob has that same issue of audio sync delay. Is there anyone at Apple that can assist with this issue? This happens in all the episodes.
    Never got it for those here. 
  • Reply 19 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member

Hardly more of an embarrassment for Apple than spending $70 million for a mediocre film with shallow character development.  But it fits with the “uplifting” family style pablum that Comrade Cook is pushing. 
    Ah back with that bullshit, are we? Nope. First two mins of Morning Show we learn that her nickname is “Two Fucks Jackson”. And See was anything but family friendly. You’re high, lying, or both. 
    BeatsTrack_10randominternetpersonfastasleepDetnator
  • Reply 20 of 37
    pat412pat412 Posts: 6member
    I've had no audio issues with any of the Apple offerings so far using the most recent ATV.