2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    maltz said:
    crowley said:
    maltz said:
    crowley said:
    If I'd unnecessarily and reluctantly bought a new iPhone when my phone performance had hit the floor because of a fixable battery issue that Apple hadn't told me about, I'd probably be duly pissed off.  I didn't, but I can understand why some might feel compensation was in order.

The alternative is a phone that reboots all the time because the battery is worn out and voltage sags during peak loads.  Pick your poison...
    The issue isn't with this alternative or that alternative, it's with Apple deliberately suppressing performance for a reason that is addressable and not telling the user what they were doing or why, when the user could have addressed it.

Did you know desktop machines do the same thing?  If the GPU hits TDP, it throttles.  If the CPU gets too hot, it throttles.  Heck, even SSD storage does it.  All chips of any complexity throttle all the time for all kinds of reasons.  This isn't Apple being obscure, it's how EVERYTHING works these days.
    Sure, but components have published TDP measurements, and if you breach them then the system will rarely throttle to the degree that the system is edging on unusable (unless you have a significant hardware issue or are particularly taxing the system).  You can also get temperature monitoring utilities to check such things so that you can take action about excessive heat, e.g. remove dust, clean filters, get more powerful fans, better heatsinks, or put in water cooling.  Apple very aggressively throttled performance based on something that was completely hidden to the user and therefore not obviously remediable.
    edited July 2020 atomic101
  • Reply 22 of 28
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    mcdave said:
    And all because Apple dared to address the peak power load issue with throttling. Let’s hope the lawyers don’t get wind of what happens when the device gets hot under load 🤫
    No, it's all because Apple was too dense to properly notify people of what it was doing. All they had to do was put up a notice like they do now that the performance was being throttled due to the battery condition and/or clearly state it on their website. By not doing so, they opened themselves to speculation about their motives. I don't think they had ulterior motives, but many people do and neither side can definitively prove their case.
    atomic101
  • Reply 23 of 28
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Rayz2016 said:
    DAalseth said:
    lkrupp said:
    Of the class actions I've been part of the hardest part is making a claim, which is why most of the time it's not worth it. You usually have to document your reason for making the claim and many people don't keep records like receipts, invoices, bank records, etc. Just claiming you were damaged is not enough. You have to prove it.
    I can happily say I’ve never willingly been a party to one of these ambulance chasing scams. I figured out years ago the settlements in class-actions were primarily crafted to enrich the legal firms.
    Same Here
    There’s an old story about two men walking along the beach. They spotted an oyster and started arguing about who saw it first, whose it was. A lawyer came along and agreed to settle the dispute. After listening to each mans story he proceeded to eat the oyster and hand each man half of the shell. 

Hah! I'm as so going to steal that!
    You are welcome to, as I said it's an old story. I came across it in a British book from he 1920s. That's how long lawyers have had a bad reputation.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    atomic101atomic101 Posts: 132member
    I’m not filling this out, even though the weeks of frustration years ago remind me that this was a commensurate penalty for mishandling the battery issue.  Puts a little bit of doubt into any corporation that chooses to use deception to rationalize bad decisions.  

• Reply 25 of 28
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    Still the most ridiculous “issue” I’ve ever seen with Apple. Dumber than antennagate, dumber than bendgate, dumber than hissgate. Completely silly. Glad some lawyers found something to thicken their wallets with.
    The named plaintiffs (there are a few of them) get a few thousand dollars. I think about $3k.  The lawyers get over $100 MILLION for their awesome work on behalf of the consumer. It’s sick that those people are going to be filthy rich for this non-issue. 
  • Reply 26 of 28
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    MplsP said:
    mcdave said:
    And all because Apple dared to address the peak power load issue with throttling. Let’s hope the lawyers don’t get wind of what happens when the device gets hot under load 🤫
    No, it's all because Apple was too dense to properly notify people of what it was doing. All they had to do was put up a notice like they do now that the performance was being throttled due to the battery condition and/or clearly state it on their website. By not doing so, they opened themselves to speculation about their motives. I don't think they had ulterior motives, but many people do and neither side can definitively prove their case.
    When does iOS issue a “Phone is too hot, throttling” notification?
  • Reply 27 of 28
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    All affected users in the world deserve the same compensation.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    williamh said:
    Still the most ridiculous “issue” I’ve ever seen with Apple. Dumber than antennagate, dumber than bendgate, dumber than hissgate. Completely silly. Glad some lawyers found something to thicken their wallets with.
    The named plaintiffs (there are a few of them) get a few thousand dollars. I think about $3k.  The lawyers get over $100 MILLION for their awesome work on behalf of the consumer. It’s sick that those people are going to be filthy rich for this non-issue. 
    This is one area of the law I think could be changed. Legal firms representing class-actions should not be able to take more than 10% of the judgment. The rest should be given to the plaintiffs. I think this change would go a long way toward tempering these largely nuisance suits.