Apple urges retail staff to work remote, says return to offices unlikely in 2020

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Apple is urging retail staffers to work remotely amid a new spike in COVID-19 cases, casting doubt on a full resumption of in-office work in 2020.

Credit: LuisQuiroz1618
Credit: LuisQuiroz1618

Although the Cupertino tech giant began to reopen stores in mid-June, a resurgence of coronavirus cases in some parts of the world have prompted the company to roll back the operation. More than 80 retail locations have since re-closed in the U.S.

In a memo shared with Apple retail staffers seen by Bloomberg, Apple's people and retail chief, Deirdre O'Brien, urged Apple Store employees to start working from home and added that the company would send COVID-19 test kits to directly to them.

"If your store is closed, please sign up for Retail at Home, please talk to your manager, because we really need to make sure that we shift our teams to greet our customers remotely in this time," O'Brien said.

That's reportedly because customers are seeing "significant wait times" due to an uptick in online service and product purchases. O'Brien added that "people are really dependent upon their devices, especially right now."

For Apple office employees, the company advised in an internal memo that a full return to office locations in the U.S. won't happen by the end of 2020.

Previous plans called for main office staffers to return to Apple Park in phases, the first of which occurred in mid-June.

In a memo to staffers in March, O'Brien said that reopening plans would be highly dependent on local COVID-19 conditions and that operations would be re-evaluated on a weekly basis.

The latest memo from O'Brien indicated that Apple would "begin to welcome back team members who prefer to work from the office or those with projects that require them to be in the office, while continuing to significantly limit total occupancy."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    I hope I get to go in my local Apple Store for my Genius Bar appointment next Monday. In case you don't know it, Apple has done a product recall on most of the Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone Xs Max. In an inexcusably stupid and tone deaf move considering the current situation, Apple is requiring that affected owners of these cases physically bring them into an Apple Store for processing. They refuse to do it over the phone, even though the replacement units will in all likelihood be shipped to you through the mail and not issued at the store. I spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with Apple Support trying to get this done by mail and the best they could do is offer send me a replacement if I paid $119 for the privilege, versus $0 for using the Apple Store, all of which were closed at the time. Apple Support is generally very good, but on this particular issue they are out of their friggin' minds. I'm worried that mindless bureaucracy is starting to set in at Apple, which unlike all the other "Apple is doomed" assertions, would truly be a step in the doomsday direction.
    OferJWSCelijahg
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ClassicGeekClassicGeek Posts: 25unconfirmed, member
      The program in question (which predates COVID) has always not had a phone component. As https://support.apple.com/iphone-xs-xs-max-xr-smart-battery-case-replacement notes the case has to be inspected to verify is eligible. Apple is not picking on anyone. Not all procedures lend themselves to service online as simply as in person. 

dewme said:
    I hope I get to go in my local Apple Store for my Genius Bar appointment next Monday. In case you don't know it, Apple has done a product recall on most of the Smart Battery Cases 
    fastasleepronnRayz2016
  • Reply 3 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
      The program in question (which predates COVID) has always not had a phone component. As https://support.apple.com/iphone-xs-xs-max-xr-smart-battery-case-replacement notes the case has to be inspected to verify is eligible. Apple is not picking on anyone. Not all procedures lend themselves to service online as simply as in person. 

dewme said:
    I hope I get to go in my local Apple Store for my Genius Bar appointment next Monday. In case you don't know it, Apple has done a product recall on most of the Smart Battery Cases 
    The information needed to determine eligibility, i.e., the serial number, can be done remotely using the Console app. I was able to confirm that my case was indeed affected, and Apple Support agreed, but Apple still refused to replace my case without making me pay nearly full price for a replacement.

I'm not claiming that they are picking on me or anyone else affected by this product recall. I'm simply saying that they are being inflexible and refusing to adapt their process to fit the reality of the situation we are currently faced with. Refusing to intelligently move from "that's the way we always do it" to "let's find a way to make it work" is textbook bureaucracy and lemming mentality. That's not a good look for Apple.
    elijahg
  • Reply 4 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    California‘s “brilliant” Governor is going to tank the entire State.
    JWSC
  • Reply 5 of 15
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    Sure, because other state's Governor's who are more "brilliant", like Texas and Florida, are doing SO much better...  /smh
    edited July 2020 ronnelijahgOferapplguyking editor the grate
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Remember that hit piece article by Bloomberg a couple months ago that said Apple is forcing its employees to return to the office in June/July. Crock of garbage. 

then again, it’s Bloomberg. 
    ronnelijahgJWSCDAalseth
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Sure, because other state's Governor's who are more "brilliant", like Texas and Florida, are doing SO much better...  /smh
    He’s not concerned with the number of deaths or people left with life-changing health conditions, he’s worried about the economy. 

The problem is that unless you get a grip on the pandemic, the economy is going tank anyway. 
    edited July 2020 ronn
  • Reply 8 of 15
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,256member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    The deaths per million in those states you just mentioned are dwarfed by the numbers in New York State, yet the media seems to think Cuomo has done a great job.
    SpamSandwichJWSC
  • Reply 9 of 15
    hexclock said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    The deaths per million in those states you just mentioned are dwarfed by the numbers in New York State, yet the media seems to think Cuomo has done a great job.
    This is fairly easy to understand. COVID-19 deaths are directly correlated with the spread of the coronavirus. New York State was first state to be hit particularly hard by the coronavirus and it’s response was hindered by a lack of testing and the U.S. not really being prepared to handle the virus early on.  Being caught completely off guard and not having time to prepare caused the healthcare system to become completely overrun. Since the initial outbreak New York has managed to take what we know about the virus and significantly slowed spread. Texas and Florida had the benefit of not being hit hard at the outset of the pandemic and were able to shut down their states to better plan and prepare. Both states also had the benefit of seeing what happened in New York when you are unprepared and coronavirus spreads quickly through your state. Armed with this knowledge and having two months to prepare Texas and Florida opted to reduce restrictions knowing full well they were unprepared to do so and what the consequences were for not being prepared. Not surprisingly both states now have a situation where the virus is spreading out of control and they are starting to see their healthcare systems overrun. You can criticize Cuomo for the deaths per million but you can’t deny that he went into the situation completely blind. The governors of Texas in Florida had the luxury of time to prepare and knew what the consequences were of letting the virus spread out of control and decided that they were good with what happened in New York happening in their states. So if you think Cuomo did a crappy job then by default you have to acknowledge that Texas and Florida are doing worse. 
  • Reply 10 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    hexclock said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    With the ongoing rioting (do people realize that stuff is still happening?) and acts of idiocy in NYC, it’s a miracle New Yorkers haven’t stormed the offices of their politicians. The people there must be really cowed into inaction against the wave of violence gripping their city.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Rayz2016 said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    He’s not concerned with the number of deaths or people left with life-changing health conditions, he’s worried about the economy. 

The problem is that unless you get a grip on the pandemic, the economy is going tank anyway. 
    As the age demographic of those becoming infected is younger and much less likely to die from infection, I’m struggling with your logic.  How so?  Please elaborate.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    hexclock said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    This is fairly easy to understand. COVID-19 deaths are directly correlated with the spread of the coronavirus. New York State was first state to be hit particularly hard by the coronavirus and it’s response was hindered by a lack of testing and the U.S. not really being prepared to handle the virus early on.  Being caught completely off guard and not having time to prepare caused the healthcare system to become completely overrun. Since the initial outbreak New York has managed to take what we know about the virus and significantly slowed spread. Texas and Florida had the benefit of not being hit hard at the outset of the pandemic and were able to shut down their states to better plan and prepare. Both states also had the benefit of seeing what happened in New York when you are unprepared and coronavirus spreads quickly through your state. Armed with this knowledge and having two months to prepare Texas and Florida opted to reduce restrictions knowing full well they were unprepared to do so and what the consequences were for not being prepared. Not surprisingly both states now have a situation where the virus is spreading out of control and they are starting to see their healthcare systems overrun. You can criticize Cuomo for the deaths per million but you can’t deny that he went into the situation completely blind. The governors of Texas in Florida had the luxury of time to prepare and knew what the consequences were of letting the virus spread out of control and decided that they were good with what happened in New York happening in their states. So if you think Cuomo did a crappy job then by default you have to acknowledge that Texas and Florida are doing worse. 
    Yes, NY was caught off-guard. I’m not really criticizing anyone, just pointing out some numbers in a chart I read, and how the media portrays things. Now that we have identified and protected (hopefully), the most vulnerable people, the deaths per will stay low. Fingers crossed. 
  • Reply 13 of 15
    hexclock said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    With the ongoing rioting (do people realize that stuff is still happening?) and acts of idiocy in NYC, it’s a miracle New Yorkers haven’t stormed the offices of their politicians. The people there must be really cowed into inaction against the wave of violence gripping their city.
    Luckily I live in a county far from NYC, but the people I know that live there are certainly not ok with what is taking place. 

Sorry for dragging this thread off topic; I have a tendency to do that. It’s more interesting than talking about retail stores. 
    edited July 2020 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 14 of 15
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Yes, NY was caught off-guard. I’m not really criticizing anyone, just pointing out some numbers in a chart I read, and how the media portrays things. Now that we have identified and protected (hopefully), the most vulnerable people, the deaths per will stay low. Fingers crossed. 
    "So my message is let’s get back to work, let’s get back to living. Let’s be smart about it and those of us who are 70-plus, we’ll take care of ourselves. But don’t sacrifice the country, don’t do that, don’t ruin this great America.” - Dan Patrick Lt. Gov of Texas on the Tucker Carlson show in March. 

Sorry to say, that government in the state where I live doesn't really appear to be concerned about the 
    vulnerable. Nor did they follow CDC guidelines for reopening and to double down they stripped the ability for cities to provide their own ordinances around things like wearing masks. The net result has been ICUs in in Houston hitting capacity, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas are within a week or two of hitting capacity. Corpus Christy EMS is operating at 50% staff because half of them are at out sick. And, we are still hitting record Covid cases daily. We are reduced to "fingers crossed" which is just sad and it's due to gross negligence at a state and federal level. 
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Just looking at the John Hopkins maps here, and it’s showing that Arizona daily cases are starting to fall some, along with Delaware. All other states are either rising or flat, with Florida rising the most. 
    The good news it that a vaccine being tested right now is showing great promise, so if we can hold out a bit longer I think we’ll get past all this.