Apple's first retail store in mainland China closes for good

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Apple Store in Sanlitun, Beijing, opened in 2008 and is going to be replaced in two days by an entirely new flagship in the same area.

Detail from Apple's graphic introducing the new replacement Apple Sanlitun store
Detail from Apple's graphic introducing the new replacement Apple Sanlitun store


Twelve years after it opened as the first-ever Apple Store in mainland China, Apple Sanlitun, Beijing, closes forever at 20:00 local time today (08:00 ET). The store is being replaced with a new flagship store that opens on July 16, following many months of construction.

Twitter user Kevin W has posted images from the store's final days.

Today marks the last day of operation for the first ever #AppleStore in mainland China. Thanks for being around for the last 12 years, truly a milestone. The brand new Apple will be opened on July 17th.@storetellee @MichaelSteeber @9to5mac pic.twitter.com/1S1k6veJI9

-- Kevin W (@wukaiyu2011)


"No matter what kind of talent you have, and no matter how persistent you are, Beijing never refuses to chase dreamers," says Apple in an announcement on its website (in translation). "Now, the new Apple Sanlitun is ready to witness again, all kinds of creativity. All will be able to grow arbitrarily from here and bloom different flowers."

The original store is in Taikoo Li Sanlitun, a large shopping center in Beijing's Chaoyang District, which was previously known as The Village. Apple opened it in time for the 2008 Olympics, and it has been followed since by 41 further stores across mainland China.

The new Apple Sanlitun, which will retain the first store's name, is situated immediately next to the old site. Its design is a close replica of the flagship Apple Store that was opened on Chicago's Michigan Avenue in 2017.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    DogpersonDogperson Posts: 140member
    Beijing never refuses to chase dreamers OR DISSIDENTS. 
    jony0razorpit
  • Reply 2 of 11
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,614member
    Dogperson said:
    Beijing never refuses to chase dreamers
    Yeah that is a really odd statement. Chasing dreamers? Maybe a veiled way of saying chasing dreamers down and suppressing them.
    GeorgeBMacjony0razorpit
  • Reply 3 of 11
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Maybe the wrong title?

    Apple's first retail store in mainland China closes for good


    how about 

    Apple's first retail store in mainland China closes and moves to a new larger location



    JinTechjony0elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Click bait warning!

    No, the Apple Store is moving to a new store.   Nobody is 'closing stores for good'....   sigh....
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,991member
    ncee said:
    Maybe the wrong title?

    Apple's first retail store in mainland China closes for good


    how about 

    Apple's first retail store in mainland China closes and moves to a new larger location



    No, no, you don't understand. Headlines are about drawing people in and then clarifying. This headline  was designed to infer that Apple's flagship store in Beijing has failed and is closing for good. Once you've been hooked you find out that's not what's happening at all. I think they teach this in modern journalism schools. If your headline suggestion had been used no one would even read the article. See what I mean.
    edited July 2020 SpamSandwichjony0razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    LOL Freaky story angle for moving the store NEXT DOOR... a few steps away.
    GeorgeBMacBeatsjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Most dishonest headline of the week.


    JinTechGeorgeBMacBeatsjony0razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Guys, come on.
    Beatsrazorpit
  • Reply 9 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    lkrupp said:
    ncee said:
    Maybe the wrong title?

    Apple's first retail store in mainland China closes for good


    how about 

    Apple's first retail store in mainland China closes and moves to a new larger location



    No, no, you don't understand. Headlines are about drawing people in and then clarifying. This headline  was designed to infer that Apple's flagship store in Beijing has failed and is closing for good. Once you've been hooked you find out that's not what's happening at all. I think they teach this in modern journalism schools. If your headline suggestion had been used no one would even read the article. See what I mean.
    Unfortunately, too many people only read headlines.
    I wonder how many only read this one and now beleive Apple Stores failed in China?

    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Well this is Apple we're talking about, so the moment I read the headline, I just inferred that the store must be moving to a bigger location.


    IIRC, a similar story had a similar headline, so I was better equipped this time around.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,119member
    elijahg said:
    Dogperson said:
    Beijing never refuses to chase dreamers
    Yeah that is a really odd statement. Chasing dreamers? Maybe a veiled way of saying chasing dreamers down and suppressing them.
    Or, a bad translation.

    The rest of it reads like documentation I get with electronics off of Amazon sometimes: "Now, the new Apple Sanlitun is ready to witness again, all kinds of creativity. All will be able to grow arbitrarily from here and bloom different flowers."
    watto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.