War on Terror: Most important elements

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What is the most important thing that can be done to help the War on Terror.

(A vote for one doesn't necessarily mean the others are unimportant.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    What if one does not like any of the choices provided?
  • Reply 2 of 41
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    then one can stick it up one's rear.

just kidding.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I was looking for "Regime change in USA" but failed to find it. You won't tell me you left out this, most logical of all, option? Groverat, I bet your mother shakes her head at you quite often...
  • Reply 4 of 41
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Well those are your options.

Vote for something else if you think it's better than what is listed.

I guess you vote for US regime change (even though terrorism against the US has happened for the last 5 administrations)?

Regime Change in US - 1
  • Reply 5 of 41
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    You all cannot tell me that you truly believe any regime change anywhere is going to really reduce terrorism. It may reduce the weapons put in their possesion, but it will not stop the groups or the acts of terror themselves.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by NoahJ

You all cannot tell me that you truly believe any regime change anywhere is going to really reduce terrorism. It may reduce the weapons put in their possesion, but it will not stop the groups or the acts of terror themselves.

What do you vote for then, Noah, the destruction of Islam?
  • Reply 7 of 41
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the U.S. undergoes regime change every 2 years.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

the U.S. undergoes regime change every 2 years.

shhh, and America has suffered terrorist attacks since the 1970s. Don't tell him, though, it all started with Bush!
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Well I was going to ask why not have "Regime change in Israel"... then I remembered that they recently did.\

I suppose Israel and some of the Muslim countries need a socioreligious change more than they need a Regime change.

We need to tear down their strong religious influences and push religion into the closet. Just like America did for the last 50 years.

My vote is for "The Peace on Terrorism".
  • Reply 10 of 41
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    I didn't see my option...nuke everybody.

• Reply 11 of 41
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Where's "All of the above"?
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by NoahJ

Root causes?
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

shhh, and America has suffered terrorist attacks since the 1970s. Don't tell him, though, it all started with Bush!

Even before the '70s - in 1954 four Puerto Rican Nationalists opened fire in House chamber. They got off 30 rounds and wounded five House members. But this bit of historical trivia doesn't have much to do with the WoT. It certainly was terrorism but it doesn't have much to do with what's happening today.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Good question. The media says the CIA does. This guy they just nabbed says he saw him in 2003. But one of my friends who's kinda smart and reads a lot says he's taking the dirt nap.

They're wondering the same thing about Saddam. I half think some of the shit they put out there is to cause OBL/Saddam to date themselves with a video of some kind. You know like Saddam will be at a meeting and wonder out loud who missed the NCAA office pool final four? Or maybe OBL on a segway?
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Regime change in Israel would fall under Israel/Palestine peace.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    My vote would be for "Concerted multilateral cooperation within a framework of international peace and justice". Actually, this is not just my vote in the poll, it is the correct answer. It is also why the current war - or at least the means by which we arrrived at it - is such a mistake.

I am unsurprised, however, that the correct answer was not included among the choices, given the originator of this poll.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Who's "we"?

BTW I found this interesting.

How the West armed Saddam Hussein

Sure you'll find the US in there but France and Germany are near the top. So much for all that "Concerted multilateral cooperation within a framework of international peace and justice" stuff huh?
  • Reply 18 of 41
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Regime change in Israel would fall under Israel/Palestine peace.

An optimistic groverat? That's a new one....

edit: shit, man. That was my 2000th post? I was hoping for a world-changing post.... oh well...
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Don't feel bad, my 4000th post was a masturbation joke.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

How the West armed Saddam Hussein

Sure you'll find the US in there but France and Germany are near the top. So much for all that "Concerted multilateral cooperation within a framework of international peace and justice" stuff huh?

Your post does not undermine my point, but helps to prove it. Suppose that the U.S., France and Germany cooperated so as to prevent arms flowing directly or indirectly to terrorists?

Actually, quite a bit of progress has been made on this issue since 9/11. (Of course, the flow of armaments is only one issue among many - the weapons used by the 9/11 terrorists were not armaments in the usual sense)

In any case, I greatly fear that the current conflict - and the partial breakdown in international cooperation and trust leading up to it - will undermine the progress that has been made.