Google sued for 'blatant lies' about user privacy

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33

viclauyyc said:
    Side question.

i am still using gmail. Which email service you guys recommend me to switch to? Even small fee pay email service is ok. 
    Protonmail.
    cat52Beats
  • Reply 22 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Oh goodie, more allegations with no factual evidence. Anyone can sue anyone. Proving and winning is something else altogether. You don's accept that every allegation against Apple is true do you?  

From your link: Google spokesperson Jose Castaneda rebuked the suit’s claims:
     "These claims are factually wrong. G Suite for Education allows schools to control account access and requires that schools obtain parental consent when necessary. We do not use personal information from users in primary and secondary schools to target ads. School districts can decide how best to use Google for Education in their classrooms and we are committed to partnering with them."
    edited July 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 33
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    gatorguy said:
    qwerty52 said:
    Are the guys defending always Google in this forum, reading this?
    Gosh, lots of lawyer-speak claims going on there. It will be super-interesting to see what facts there are, if any, that support the stuff he's saying in the complaint. 

The fact Google has lied plenty of times in the past regarding user privacy may help.

You'd think they were an advertising company.
    ronnOfercornchipqwerty52DogpersonRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33

Dogperson said:
    Dont even use grocery store membership cards. Dreaming on.....
    I've got some bad news for you.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33
    viclauyyc said:
    Side question.

i am still using gmail. Which email service you guys recommend me to switch to? Even small fee pay email service is ok. 
    I'm a fan of Fastmail for all of the extra features, though there's plenty of others.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    viclauyyc said:
    Side question.

outlook is great, apple works good and there are others that are multi-device and sync-able.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 33
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    Beats said:
    gatorguy said:
    qwerty52 said:
    Are the guys defending always Google in this forum, reading this?
    Gosh, lots of lawyer-speak claims going on there. It will be super-interesting to see what facts there are, if any, that support the stuff he's saying in the complaint. 

The fact Google has lied plenty of times in the past regarding user privacy may help.

You'd think they were an advertising company.
    I find interesting how Google "lied plenty of times" and Apple still accepting from them billions of dollars to make their search engine the default in iOS and macOS devices.  Doesn't make sense, considering Apple is so "strong" with their privacy stance, right?  Or could it be that Google isn't as bad as you think, and that's the reason Apple trust their customers to them?
    Dogpersonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 33
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    viclauyyc said:
    Side question.

I’ve been contemplating extracting myself from Gmail for months now. It’s a deep entrenchment. Might just use my own web server (hosted, of course), since I’m paying for it. I just wanted to keep spammers further away from my domain. 
  • Reply 29 of 33
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Not only do they think know all kinds of things about us, a lot of it is WRONG.

Google marketing thinks I’m into sports. I hate sports.

Google thinks I’m in the business world. I’m unemployed.

Google thinks I’m wealthy. I’m in poverty.

So many more.

Marketing and advertising is like some kind of dogdamned cancer. The so-called targeting is invalid, creepy, invasive as hell...

All it takes is for my girlfriend to watch one video by a certain person on YouTube, on a different computer, with a different YouTube account, in the same house, behind the same router... for Google to suggest that I also watch videos by the same guy, on my computer, on a different YouTube account. How is that sensible?

I’ve hated marketing and advertising for ages. The advertising world has made nearly every form of media, nearly every environment into an annoyance or an outright violation. Then they bitch about ad blockers.
    Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Is there a list of these Firebase iOS apps? I tried searching online and came up with nothing but resources from google about how to create Firebase iOS apps. My guess would be that a lot of the apps made for banks, retailers...non-IT and non-tech related companies would be ones that used shortcut app development tools like Firebase.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 33
    DogpersonDogperson Posts: 145member
    hoodslide said:

Dogperson said:
    Dont even use grocery store membership cards. Dreaming on.....
    I've got some bad news for you.

Interesting. But I doubt I am their target market. 
    Usually have bluetooth off and maxed out my no location settings. 
    But I do get your drift and I think they do track credit card purchases. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 33
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Try the same search in Google Chrome, "what company sold the most laptops this year" and you'll get far better results rather than sales offers, at least as the top results. Bing, the provider behind DDG, seems to be on a big marketing/ad binge at the moment and perhaps that's why you got what you did. 
    thanks for the reply,
     I read an article recently I think in PC Mag that stated HP sold 24% of the laptops this year. The article was about how work at home increased sales in the laptop market. I still cant believe HP was top, they do not make a good laptop, cheap perhaps. but they doubled Dell's sales this year.
    i searched that key phrase in google.com and received the same info as ducksgo.

Odd. I searched it using that exact phrase  a few moments ago and the first result, the "one in the box", is this one
    https://fortunly.com/blog/lap-top-market-share/#:~:text=Lenovo%20and%20HP%20hold%20the,a%20market%20share%20of%2022.5%25.

In fact on the entire first page, 10 different results, not one single link to an offer to sell ie a computer company's sales site. Every one of them what I would consider an educational/informative link.
    Odd, I just did the same test, and achieved the same result as mtlion2020.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Try the same search in Google Chrome, "what company sold the most laptops this year" and you'll get far better results rather than sales offers, at least as the top results. Bing, the provider behind DDG, seems to be on a big marketing/ad binge at the moment and perhaps that's why you got what you did. 
    thanks for the reply,
     I read an article recently I think in PC Mag that stated HP sold 24% of the laptops this year. The article was about how work at home increased sales in the laptop market. I still cant believe HP was top, they do not make a good laptop, cheap perhaps. but they doubled Dell's sales this year.
    i searched that key phrase in google.com and received the same info as ducksgo.

Odd. I searched it using that exact phrase  a few moments ago and the first result, the "one in the box", is this one
    https://fortunly.com/blog/lap-top-market-share/#:~:text=Lenovo%20and%20HP%20hold%20the,a%20market%20share%20of%2022.5%25.

In fact on the entire first page, 10 different results, not one single link to an offer to sell ie a computer company's sales site. Every one of them what I would consider an educational/informative link.
    Odd, I just did the same test, and achieved the same result as mtlion2020.
    When you did your Google search what were your search terms? 
    edited July 2020