Apple accessory maker Belkin launches made-in-USA coronavirus mask line

Posted:
in General Discussion
Accessory purveyor Belkin has announced a donation of 50,000 masks to help battle COVID-19, while also making new made-in-USA masks for sale online as the public's need for personal protective equipment continues.

Belkin's standard Face Mask and its new ComfortFit Face Mask
Belkin's standard Face Mask and its new ComfortFit Face Mask

Belkin is donating 25,000 masks to the Children's Hospital Los Angeles as well as another 25,000 to the city of LA and its frontline workers. California is one of the states hit hardest by COVID-19 and remains in lockdown. PPE has continued to see increased demand while supply has started to diminish.

"Belkin has always been about solving human needs as they arise and with the second surge of COVID-19 in Belkin's hometown of Los Angeles and around the country, the need for PPE sadly continues to be urgent," said Steven Malony, senior vice president, Belkin International. "Frontline workers are risking their lives each day to save the lives of others and to keep our economy running. We believe that wearing a mask is one simple action that we can all take to keep each other safe."

Aside from donating a substantial number of masks, Belkin also stocks its own USA-made masks in its online store. They are single-use, disposable masks that properly cover the nose and mouth. They also include an integrated nose-clip to reduce air gaps. A box of 50 masks can be purchased for $49.95.

Additionally, Belkin has announced a new ComfortFit Face Mask. These new masks are also single-use and have patented Z Fold ear loops that apply less pressure to the ears. They have three layers of soft, breathable fabric for comfort and protection even when worn for an extended period of time.

The ComfortFit Face Mask will be available in the coming months and will retail for $19.99 for a box of 30.

Both can currently be found listed on Belkin's website where it details more of its efforts.

Belkin isn't the only technology and accessory company doing its part during the global crisis. Nomad, Spigen, Peak Design, Satechi, and others have launched campaigns to donate funds and PPE while also offering deals for shoppers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member

It is good, but not nearly enough for a very profitable company that had $450 million in revenue in 2019.

50,000 masks that they sell for $1 probably cost them 50 cents. The PR is worth far more than the $25k cost of the masks. Then there is the big tax deduction they get. It is almost self serving as you would expect from companies. I bet they expense far more than $25k-$50 on dinners for themselves in a year.

Did you ever have dealings with their outsourced customer service people in Asia?

They need to do more. Step up and do something real. Sorry, but not impressed. It's like Trump saying he cares about someone other than himself.
    edited July 2020 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 19
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    tommikele said:

It is good, but not nearly enough for a very profitable company that had $450 million in revenue in 2019.

50,000 masks that they sell for $1 probably cost them 50 cents. The PR is worth far more than the $25k cost of the masks. Then there is the big tax deduction they get. It is almost self serving as you would expect from companies. I bet they expense far more than $25k-$50 on dinners for themselves in a year.

Did you ever have dealings with their outsourced customer service people in Asia?

They need to do more. Step up and do something real. Sorry, but not impressed. It's like Trump saying he cares about someone other than himself.
    "They need to do more?"  Funny how people are really good at telling others what to do with their money.  At least they did something.  Did you do anything?

Rayz2016CluntBaby92razorpit
  • Reply 3 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    About the only way to make money these days.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sflocal said:
    tommikele said:

"They need to do more?"  Funny how people are really good at telling others what to do with their money.  At least they did something.  Did you do anything?

Gotta love these armchair philanthropists.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    sflocal said:
    tommikele said:

He did something, run his m___
  • Reply 6 of 19
    sflocal said:
    tommikele said:

Far more than you have done junior. Weekly donations to our local food bank and 5 hours a week delivering food packages to house bound elderly and disabled. In addition, I've made cash donations well into four figures.

What have you done for anyone besides yourself since the pandemic started? Volunteered? Gave money? I know you went to some bar and spent money and probaby think wearing masks is an infringement on some imaginary constitutional right you claim.

Step up little boy and do something besides flapping your pie hole.

50,000 masks costing no ore than 50 cents each to produce is little more than publicity stunt to promote their new product.

Stop whining and acting like a child.
    mtlion2020GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 19

Kuyangkoh said:
    sflocal said:
    tommikele said:

Big tough guy behind a keyboard.

Why don't you tell us what you have done besides to help others since the pandemic started. You and sflocal are quite a pair. Big mouths, no action and self centered. I would tell both of you to do more, but that wouldn't be much of a challenge considering you have done nothing except criticize and attack someone who has stepped up to the plate.

Yeah, yeah, I know "it's a hoax" and your constitutional rights are violated by mask orders.

When is the last time you lifted a finger to help someone who was chronically ill or homeless or unemployed because of the pandemic? We all know the answer - NEVER.

Grow up little boy, stop acting like a punk and bag the ad hominen BS.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 19

Rayz2016 said:
    sflocal said:
    tommikele said:

You mean like you?

You and the other pair are quite a trio. Let's hear what you have done to help others during the pandemic. Donating to Trump's campaign doesn't count.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 19
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    Yes, keep buying the flimsy paper and cloth masks, and leave the industrial N95 masks for those of us who need them for work. If you are buying bread at the grocery store, you don’t need an N95. If you are working in a room full of silica dust or asbestos fibers, you do. 
    Oh, and I give blood. It’s what I can do to help. 
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 10 of 19
    i like when things are made for their country people in their country 
    if other countries did this, they HAPPLY could stay in their country. perhaps travel to others in the future,
    Belkin makes good products for along time and wish them the best!

edited July 2020
  • Reply 11 of 19
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    if other countries did this, they HAPPLY could stay in their country. perhaps travel to others in the future,

Agreed. I bought some masks awhile back from NHL.com, and when I got them, the first thing I noticed was “Made in China”. Oh the irony....
  • Reply 12 of 19
    tommikele said:
    sflocal said:
    tommikele said:

Far more than you have done junior. Weekly donations to our local food bank and 5 hours a week delivering food packages to house bound elderly and disabled. In addition, I've made cash donations well into four figures.

What have you done for anyone besides yourself since the pandemic started? Volunteered? Gave money? I know you went to some bar and spent money and probaby think wearing masks is an infringement on some imaginary constitutional right you claim.

50,000 masks costing no ore than 50 cents each to produce is little more than publicity stunt to promote their new product.

You realise you just did exactly what @sfocal did and assumed that he did absolutely nothing? It takes away from your entire point when you also assume and get condescending. 
    razorpit
  • Reply 13 of 19
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    tommikele said:

Rayz2016 said:
    sflocal said:
    tommikele said:

You mean like you?

You and the other pair are quite a trio. Let's hear what you have done to help others during the pandemic. Donating to Trump's campaign doesn't count.
    Stop with the Trump BS you mentioned it in your 1st post and now again. You don't know who anyone supports and wtf does it matter? I am so sick of the political assumptions when someone doesn't agree or has a differing opinion.. it's weak, and a big reason both sides and this country are where we are currently as a people.

25K mask donations to Children's hospital and Front line works in the state Belkin resides and originated is not some weak PR attempt.  It wasn't like they dropped of 50 masks to each to get their name out there? My goodness.. 

razorpit
  • Reply 14 of 19
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    tommikele said:

Kuyangkoh said:
    sflocal said:
    tommikele said:

Big tough guy behind a keyboard.

Why don't you tell us what you have done besides to help others since the pandemic started. You and sflocal are quite a pair. Big mouths, no action and self centered. I would tell both of you to do more, but that wouldn't be much of a challenge considering you have done nothing except criticize and attack someone who has stepped up to the plate.

Yeah, yeah, I know "it's a hoax" and your constitutional rights are violated by mask orders.

When is the last time you lifted a finger to help someone who was chronically ill or homeless or unemployed because of the pandemic? We all know the answer - NEVER.

Grow up little boy, stop acting like a punk and bag the ad hominen BS.

So a big tough guy behind a keyboard calls someone else a tough guy behind a keyboard? Seriously? This is just amazing.. 
    razorpit
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 525member
    I’d prefer companies to make cloth reusable/washable masks. One I particularly like is PADI (padigear.com) (the scuba people).  They make masks out of recycled ocean plastic (waste) and they’re light as well as come with 5 carbon fibre filters. 
    razorpit
  • Reply 16 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    hexclock said:
    Yes, keep buying the flimsy paper and cloth masks, and leave the industrial N95 masks for those of us who need them for work. If you are buying bread at the grocery store, you don’t need an N95. If you are working in a room full of silica dust or asbestos fibers, you do. 
    Oh, and I give blood. It’s what I can do to help. 

The truth is:  that's yet another false choice:
    After 7+ months, the richest most powerful nation the world has ever known has not yet been able to manufacture sufficient high quality masks for everyone.
    That's  F-n pitiful.    Pitiful!

So, in this abject failure, we are left to debate:
    -- Should the populace wear real masks (and deprive front line healthcare workers) or fall back to DIY cheapos?
    -- Should kids risk their lives going back to school or risk their futures by not?

These and other false choices were created by a failure of national political and public health leadership.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    hexclock said:

Agreed. I bought some masks awhile back from NHL.com, and when I got them, the first thing I noticed was “Made in China”. Oh the irony....

Did you happen to notice that it took an American company 7+ months to do the same -- and then grossly overcharge for them?
    Oh the stupidity!
  • Reply 18 of 19
    tommikele said:
    sflocal said:
    tommikele said:

You realise you just did exactly what @sfocal did and assumed that he did absolutely nothing? It takes away from your entire point when you also assume and get condescending. 

No, that's a false equivalency.   He merely responded to false, unproven allegations.  The fact that he responded effectively and forcefully doesn't change that.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    tommikele said:
    sflocal said:
    tommikele said:

No, that's a false equivalency.   He merely responded to false, unproven allegations.  The fact that he responded effectively and forcefully doesn't change that.
    His effective response also made assumptions and was condescending. That was my point.