Apple previews new emoji characters coming to iOS 14 in the fall

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
A day ahead of World Emoji Day, Apple on Thursday previewed some of the new emoji characters that will be arriving in iOS 14 and other software updates this fall.

Credit: Emojipedia
Credit: Emojipedia

The emoji, approved by the Unicode Consortium earlier in 2020 as part of the Emoji 13.0 release, will include around 117 new characters in total.

Some of the new emoji previewed by Emojipedia include a Chinese nesting doll, a ninja, a tamale, a coin, a transgender symbol, and bubble tea.

In addition to iOS 14, the new emoji characters will likely debut on iPadOS 14, macOS Big Sur and watchOS 7.

Although the Emoji 13.0 release will debut as expected in the fall, a subsequent iteration of the standard has been delayed until 2021. That means new emoji characters might not reach iPhones until 2022.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Is that one emoji supposed to represent a Mediterranean ethnic group cussing at me?
    llama
  • Reply 2 of 11
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    From a distance the coffee cup looked like a hand making a rude gesture. 
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I'm wondering what will have gone wrong in my life if I'm in a situation where I need to send an emoji of human lungs.

iqatedobeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 4 of 11
    imagladryimagladry Posts: 105member
    Hummm, I always thought they are were Russian nesting dolls.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Still no White Wine....no love for the Sav Blanc fans
    iqatedo
  • Reply 6 of 11
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Will the Ninja come with a range of different skin tones?

I may want to send a Chris Farley Ninja to someone.

• Reply 7 of 11
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    In a time where the ability to read and write apparently is overvalued I’m not sure whether emojis are to be considered an evolutionary step, or an accessibility feature  ;)

Oh, a smiley. The irony...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    bfranksbfranks Posts: 22member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I'm wondering what will have gone wrong in my life if I'm in a situation where I need to send an emoji of human lungs.
    As a neuroscientist I send the brain emoji a fair bit so I guess you never know when a lung emoji might come in useful.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 9 of 11
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    bfranks said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    As a neuroscientist I send the brain emoji a fair bit so I guess you never know when a lung emoji might come in useful.
    “Dear Mrs Smith, we regret to inform you that your test for (Lung Emoji) cancer has returned positive.”
    Humor is, after all, the best medicine. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    There is one you will see a lot of use in Asia countries: the bubble tea.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    kevin kee said:
    There is one you will see a lot of use in Asia countries: the bubble tea.
    Actually it was rather popular with younger kids in Germany when I was there five years ago. I expect that holds true for the rest of Europe.