Brydge announces new line of vertical MacBook Pro, MacBook Air docks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
The new Brydge vertical dock line will support all current MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models, with some models available now.

Brydge, known for the Brydge Pro+ iPad keyboard that featured a trackpad, is expanding its Vertical Dock lineup, with plans to support all current-line MacBook models.

The docks employ a moving, suspended liner that allows for one-handed docking and undocking. They also allow for dual-display setups for those who require more screen space for their projects.

Once docked, a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro will be instantly connected via two Thunderbolt 3 connections at a full 40 gigabits per second. Intake and exhaust vents will provide additional cooling, which can be critical when running in clamshell mode.

"Since our acquisition of Henge Docks in September 2019, we've been hard at work reengineering and expanding our Vertical Dock line," said Nicholas Smith, Co-CEO and founder of Brydge.

Currently, users can get a Brydge Vertical Dock for the 15-inch MacBook Pro or the 13-inch MacBook Pro through Amazon or Brydge itself. Each dock costs $169.99.

The 16-inch MacBook Pro and the 13-inch MacBook Air Vertical Docks will be shipping in October, though customers can request to be informed when these docks go on sale.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    It’s kind of cool, but it is advisable to run a MacBook vertically for long periods of time?  I know there are less moving parts in modern notebooks, but it still makes me a bit uneasy.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    crowley said:
    It’s kind of cool, but it is advisable to run a MacBook vertically for long periods of time?  I know there are less moving parts in modern notebooks, but it still makes me a bit uneasy.

There are no moving parts in modern notebooks, except for cooling fans. MacBooks haven't used hard drives in many years. Theoretically, the vertical orientation would improve heat dissipation via convection currents, which isn't insignificant considering how hot some MBs feel after they've been running a while, especially without a notebook cooler.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Brydge has been selling these for nearly a decade, if there was an issue I imagine it would have come up by now.

I'm less concerned with that than the fact that these charge with the left side down. There's a bizarre issue with MBPs where they use more CPU when peripherals are plugged in on the left and it's charging on the left. Wondering why they didn't reverse the orientation.

https://www.imore.com/heres-why-you-should-probably-charge-your-macbook-using-ports-its-right-side

I have considered getting one of these, but modern Macbooks have so many weird problems with external displays that adding one more factor to the mix… nah.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I’ve got a 2015 MacBook Pro that doesn’t appear to be compatible with this dock. What a shame. I was pretty interested in this thing. Oh well. 
  • Reply 5 of 15
    S12S12 Posts: 25member
    I consider that a stand more than a dock. If you need more ports then you need another "dock." I guess 12 South can call their Book Arc a dock.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I’ve got a 2015 MacBook Pro that doesn’t appear to be compatible with this dock. What a shame. I was pretty interested in this thing. Oh well. 
    You can still find some. They were sold under the brand name "Henge Docks" up until a year ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Henge-Docks-Vertical-Docking-Station/dp/B00JPIKNX2
  • Reply 7 of 15
    S12 said:
    I consider that a stand more than a dock. If you need more ports then you need another "dock." I guess 12 South can call their Book Arc a dock.
    hm? The Book Arc doesn't have any ports at all.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Eric_WVGG said:
    S12 said:
    hm? The Book Arc doesn't have any ports at all.
    Actually, it has the same number as this "dock" because all this "dock" does is run an L connector for the two Thunderbolt ports you already have.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Right. Just like an iPhone dock.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Right. Just like an iPhone dock.
    Okay, put a MacBook in a Book Arc and what do you have? The same number of ports as your MacBook already has.
    Put a MacBook in this thing and how many ports do you have? The same number of ports as your MacBook already has.
    You would still need another dock to get USB, Gig-E, display port/HDMI, etc. In fact, the photo they show of this dock actually shows ANOTHER DOCK.

• Reply 11 of 15
    All this does is allow you to stand a MacBook on end and route the two ports 90°. So yes, like an iPhone dock - if an iPhone and dock each had two ports.

edited July 2020
  • Reply 12 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    I can see this for people who use two external monitors (like two 4K displays), but personally I use one external display so I want the MBP's display available as well. Back when it was Henge doing this I always thought they sure looked nice but I couldn't justify either the lost functionality nor the price. Same story now.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    S12 said:
    All this does is allow you to stand a MacBook on end and route the two ports 90°. So yes, like an iPhone dock - if an iPhone and dock each had two ports.

Lots of iPhone docks have multiple ports. I think most had both lightning and audio.

There's a clear difference between a stand you can stick a laptop in and watch the power disappear, and a dock you can stick a laptop in and get power and expanded functionality without fiddling with cables. I don't see what you're getting so worked up over. These things are neat for an admittedly niche use.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    chasm said:
    I can see this for people who use two external monitors (like two 4K displays), but personally I use one external display so I want the MBP's display available as well. Back when it was Henge doing this I always thought they sure looked nice but I couldn't justify either the lost functionality nor the price. Same story now.
    It all depends on how you plan on using your device. If you have limited desk space, want a bigger screen than your MBP or don’t want a second screen this would work fine. 

Eric_WVGG said:
    S12 said:

Lots of iPhone docks have multiple ports. I think most had both lightning and audio.

There's a clear difference between a stand you can stick a laptop in and watch the power disappear, and a dock you can stick a laptop in and get power and expanded functionality without fiddling with cables. I don't see what you're getting so worked up over. These things are neat for an admittedly niche use.
    The point @S12 is trying to make is that there is no functional difference between this ‘dock’ and just having some USB C TB cables on your desk to plug into your MBP. I get his/her point. Essentially you’re paying $170 for a nice stand that makes it convenient to plug in your computer. A ‘real’ dock would give you other functionality such as an Ethernet port, audio, USB hub, USB A ports, etc. Like Brydge’s picture shows, if you want any of that you have to get a separate hub. Seems kind of silly to buy 2 devices. 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I am very disappointed with products of Henge, which seems to be bought by Brydge. I bought their popular product Stone Pro product. It stops charging macBook 2018 after a while if left plugged in. This web mentions that there is a firmware update but link is not available anywhere:

https://hengedocks.com/blogs/henge-docks-blog/2018-macbook-pro-stone-compatibility-update

Worst part is, there is no customer support information anywhere on their website. No e-mail, no phone, only a form that does not get their attention.

I am surprised that they are promoting new products.