Apple supplier O-film Tech accused of human rights violations in China

Posted:
in General Discussion
Nanchang O-film Tech, a supplier to companies like Apple, Amazon, and Microsoft, has been accused by the United States Department of Commerce of violating the rights of Muslim minorities in China.

OFILM headquarters
OFILM headquarters

The U.S. Department of Commerce has added 11 companies to a list of companies implicated in human rights violations. The companies are associated with China's campaign against Muslim minorities from China's Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region (XUAR.)

Among the companies is O-film Tech, who produces cameras, touch screens, and fingerprint sensors. The company was involved in the production of products like the fifth-generation iPad mini. The company is added to the list in connection with forced labor.

All companies included in the list are accused of supporting China's "campaign of repression, mass arbitrary detention, forced labor, involuntary collection of biometric data, and genetic analyses targeted at Muslim minority groups," according to a statement by the U.S. Department of Commerce.

Two companies, Xinjiang Silk Road BGI and Beijing Liuhe BGI, have been accused of collecting DNA to conduct genetic analysis to repress Mulsim minorities in XUAR further. They are not known to have any connection to Apple.

"Beijing actively promotes the reprehensible practice of forced labor and abusive DNA collection and analysis schemes to repress its citizens," said Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross. "This action will ensure that our goods and technologies are not used in the Chinese Communist Party's despicable offensive against defenseless Muslim minority populations."

The companies will face new restrictions on access to U.S.-origin items, which includes consumer electronics.

Apple is no stranger to weeding out human rights violations in its supply chain. The most well-known case involved iPhone manufacturing partner Foxconn, who had an ongoing problem with employees committing suicide.

As a response, Apple began releasing a Supplier Responsibility Report every year, highlighting areas of improvement and areas of concern.

It's possible that Apple may sever ties with O-film Tech over the violations. In 2019, Apple removed 18 smelters and refiners for violating conflict mineral code of conduct.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Here we go again....US been defending Muslims mistreatments around the world and in return? We get crap from most of them. We should take care of our issues here in America....just my opinion. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Should have saved it. 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    So let me get this straight. You have no specific examples, just citing general crap from Muslims. Text book racism my friend. AI moderator?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 10
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    jmulchino said:
    So let me get this straight. You have no specific examples, just citing general crap from Muslims. Text book racism my friend. AI moderator?
    China’s oppression of Muslim and other ethnic groups living there is well documented. You need look no further than Hong Kong to see such treatment. 
    edited July 2020 tmaychemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 10
    meanwhile in USA
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    These con artists would have better credibility if they freed the kids they kidnapped from the cages they put them in and returned them to their parents.
    Or perhaps told their unidentified, camo draped Gestapo to stop kidnapping innocent citizens in Portland -- instead of expanding their program "To other Democratic Cities"

This administration runs on fear and hate -- driven by smear campaigns -- that hide their own civil rights abuses.  "Look Over There!"  -- and the gullible do, everytime.

It will be interesting to see if, when challenged, they can produce any more evidence supporting their allegations here than they have about Huawei -- which is zero.
    prismaticsmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 10
    hexclock said:
    jmulchino said:
    China’s oppression of Muslim and other ethnic groups living there is well documented. You need look no further than Hong Kong to see such treatment. 
    China and Hong Kong police were exceptionally tolerant the protestors over many, many months as they destroyed massive amounts of property and infrastructure and even attacked police with lasers, projectiles and other weapons.

Trump would have long ago crushed HongKong protests with his Gestapo just like he is doing now in Portand.   Instead, he incited those riots -- until China agreed to buy U.S. agricultural products to help his re-election.  Then suddenly he backed off leaving the protestors to fend for themselves -- pretty much like he did with the Kurds:  Use them while they are useful to his agenda then abandon them when they lose their usefulness.
    prismaticsmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Here we go again....US been defending Muslims mistreatments around the world and in return? We get crap from most of them. We should take care of our issues here in America....just my opinion. 

"We get crap from most of them"?????   Really?

Muslims make up 1/4 of the world's population.   If "got crap from most of them" we would be in deep shit.
    Instead, like we get crap from a handful of radical so called "Christians", we get crap from a handful of radical so called "Muslims".   Mostly that started in the early 2000's when we labelled them part of the so called "Axis of Evil"
    prismatics
  • Reply 9 of 10
    hexclock said:
    jmulchino said:
    China and Hong Kong police were exceptionally tolerant the protestors over many, many months as they destroyed massive amounts of property and infrastructure and even attacked police with lasers, projectiles and other weapons.

Trump would have long ago crushed HongKong protests with his Gestapo just like he is doing now in Portand.   Instead, he incited those riots -- until China agreed to buy U.S. agricultural products to help his re-election.  Then suddenly he backed off leaving the protestors to fend for themselves -- pretty much like he did with the Kurds:  Use them while they are useful to his agenda then abandon them when they lose their usefulness.
    Where were you when OBAMA was locking them up in cages? Only bad when orange man does it.

Typical lefty HYPOCRITE!!!!

....  I agree with your hated orange man that once the looting starts, the shooting starts.

You obviously need to check your sources of information -- or should I say propaganda.  They're feeding you bullshit and messing up your brain.