Graphical assets in iOS 14 beta seemingly confirm 5.4-inch 'iPhone 12'

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2020
Newly discovered graphical assets in Apple's latest iOS 14 beta suggest the company is preparing a new iPhone format with a 5.4-inch display.

iPhone 12
Source: Mac Otakara

User interface elements in the third iOS 14 beta released today support rumors that Apple is preparing to debut an "iPhone 12" model in 2020 with a 5.4-inch screen, reports 9to5Mac.

Analysis of the Display Zoom accessibility feature, which dynamically enlarges certain display elements for visually impaired users, shows apparent compatibility with a 5.4-inch display. Currently, Apple's iPhone 11 comes in at 6.1 inches on the diagonal, while the flagship iPhone 11 Pro is offered in 5.8- and 6.1-inch variants.

The newly updated Display Zoom assets are capable of displaying a full, workable UI at a resolution of 960-by-2,079 pixels in what appears to be Xcode's iOS Simulator on Mac. That resolution shares an aspect ratio with iPhone X, which was sold in one display configuration that boasted a resolution of 1,125-by-2,436 pixels.

According to the report, the additional support serves as evidence of a rumored 5.4-inch iPhone model expected for delivery this fall.

A series of reports and leaks published over the past few months have detailed Apple's anticipated "iPhone 12" lineup, which is predicted to consist of two "iPhone 12" models and two "iPhone 12 Pro" handsets. The more affordable smartphone is presumed to come in 5.4- and 6.1-inch variants, while the Pro series is said to sport 6.1- and 6.7-inch screens.

There is a possibility that the uncovered Display Zoom modifications are intended for scaling on a larger model, though supported resolutions are consistent with existing hardware rumors.

Apple is widely expected to unveil "iPhone 12" this fall, with the latest rumblings claiming an announcement in October ahead of launch in November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    You made a mistake:

”currently.......while the flagship iPhone 11 Pro is offered in 5.8- and 6.1-inch variants. ”

NO, the iPhone 11 Pro is offered in 5.8 and 6.5- inch variants. The 11 is 6.1-inch but you suggest the 11 Pro Max is no bigger than the 11, which is not correct.

You’re welcome.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 6
    roly said:
    You made a mistake:

”currently.......while the flagship iPhone 11 Pro is offered in 5.8- and 6.1-inch variants. ”

NO, the iPhone 11 Pro is offered in 5.8 and 6.5- inch variants. The 11 is 6.1-inch but you suggest the 11 Pro Max is no bigger than the 11, which is not correct.

You’re welcome
    And.... your post count is now... “69”. 

You’re welcome.  ;)
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    I have no doubt this is true given I relented this year and used FlyerPoints to buy the smallest phone Apple currently sell to avoid them becoming valueless.
    Of course, they are now going to release a sensible size phone.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    roly said:
    You made a mistake:

You’re welcome
    And.... your post count is now... “69”. 

You’re welcome.  ;)
    What’s that got to do with anything.Oh I see. I thought you were dissing my post count. I see the joke now 
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    2016: omg Apple released a phone that fits in a pocket and can be used with one hand omg “the cheap iPhone is a surprise hit” what no we wanted a phone that fit in a normal ha— “yup just goes to show apple stuff was too expensive”

2020: OMG A MODERN PHONE THAT ISNT YUGE “once again Apple goes downmarket” no the cheap one just happens the best one “recession! People are poor” it’s outselling the new SE “this is a sign that Apple is no longer a premium brandjgughjdghhd”
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 6
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    So, I wonder what the exterior dimensions could be, especially in comparison to the original SE.
    I think anything bigger than the original SE ends up in the 'too big' category, but at some point, I guess we need a 'next best' thing to fall back on.