Linking to Source Article

Posted:
in Feedback
Admittedly AppleInsider does somme of their own feature pieces, but most of its articles are reporting on what others have reported. Example the latest features story about ARM Macs at WWDC is based on a recent Bloomberg report. It seems that AppleInsider no longer links to the source story, just names it. I think that’s bad practice. The Verge and other tech publications give proper attribution by naming and linking to the source piece. I seem to recall Apple Insider used to do this too, but it seems like the practice has been dropped and now it just names the source. 

This may not be the correct rationale, but given the number of intrastate links to other AI pieces, I can only assume that this change in practice is about preserving site traffic and ad impressions. As a reader I want to be able to go directly to the source article if I want to learn more and I think giving proper credit to the source piece by linking is just the right thing to do.  Please link to your source articles. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    duals said:
    Admittedly AppleInsider does somme of their own feature pieces, but most of its articles are reporting on what others have reported. Example the latest features story about ARM Macs at WWDC is based on a recent Bloomberg report. It seems that AppleInsider no longer links to the source story, just names it. I think that’s bad practice. The Verge and other tech publications give proper attribution by naming and linking to the source piece. I seem to recall Apple Insider used to do this too, but it seems like the practice has been dropped and now it just names the source. 

This may not be the correct rationale, but given the number of intrastate links to other AI pieces, I can only assume that this change in practice is about preserving site traffic and ad impressions. As a reader I want to be able to go directly to the source article if I want to learn more and I think giving proper credit to the source piece by linking is just the right thing to do.  Please link to your source articles. 
    The link is in the piece, and has been since publication. We agree that it's the right thing to do. So, when credit is appropriate, we give it -- and we did here.

edited June 2020
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dualsduals Posts: 41member
    Mike, thanks for the quick reply and for pointing out my error.  I apologize that I missed it.  I think what threw me off is that the opening paragraph says "Apple may announce its long-rumored shift to ARM for the Mac as soon as its WWDC at the end of June, if a new report is accurate."  Can I ask why you waited until the 3rd paragraph to link to the report when you reference it so clearly in the first?  As a reader I'm just seeking to understand the editorial choices.

Again, sorry for missing it and thank for pointing it out.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    duals said:
    Mike, thanks for the quick reply and for pointing out my error.  I apologize that I missed it.  I think what threw me off is that the opening paragraph says "Apple may announce its long-rumored shift to ARM for the Mac as soon as its WWDC at the end of June, if a new report is accurate."  Can I ask why you waited until the 3rd paragraph to link to the report when you reference it so clearly in the first?  As a reader I'm just seeking to understand the editorial choices.

Again, sorry for missing it and thank for pointing it out.
    That first paragraph - the lede - is on the home page of the site. There are never any links at all in it, even our own.
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dualsduals Posts: 41member
    That first paragraph - the lede - is on the home page of the site. There are never any links at all in it, even our own.

Hmm????

• Reply 5 of 5
    duals said:

Hmm????

This policy has recently partially changed. You'll note that the links are still not on the homepage.

Every story still has a link credit, where appropriate.
    edited July 2020