Verizon free Call Filter app automatically silences spam calls in iOS 14

Posted:
in iOS edited July 2020
Verizon has announced it is partnering with Apple to fight the onslaught of robocalls plaguing users, starting with the release of iOS 14.

Call Filter gains automatic blocking with iOS 14
Call Filter gains automatic blocking with iOS 14

With iOS 14, Verizon's Call Filter app will be offering additional features currently not available. This new feature -- dubbed Silence Junk Callers -- will automatically recognize calls identified by the Verizon network as potential spam or fraud and then send them directly to voicemail without ringing your phone.

While the feature will roll out in earnest this fall when iOS 14 is fully released, iOS 14 beta users who subscribe to the "plus" version of Verizon's Call Filter app will be eligible starting today to use the feature. Call Filter is free to download and use but the "plus" version offers additional features.

Both the free and "plus" versions of the app include spam detection and a spam filter. The paid version includes caller ID, spam lookup, a personal block list, and a spam risk meter.

Call Filter features versus Call Filter Plus
Call Filter features versus Call Filter Plus

During the beta phase of iOS 14 only those on the paid tier will be able to try the new Silence Junk Callers feature. When iOS 14 launches it will be available to the free users of Call Filter as well. Call Filter Plus is $2.99 a month for one line or $7.99 for multiple lines per account.

Verizon says it authenticates billions of calls each month between more than a dozen different providers using STIR/SHAKEN technology as mobile robocalls and spam calls continue to be a nuisance to users.

In December, President Trump signed the TRACED act into law which is an anti-robocall piece of legislation that had near-unanimous bipartisan support in both the Senate and the House of Representatives.

Apple continues to test iOS 14 with both developers as well as its public beta program. The third beta of iOS 14 was just released which contained several changes as Apple pushes development forward.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    stevegeestevegee Posts: 21member
    T-Mobile Name ID does this now, no need to wait for verizon or iOS 14. 
    Dogperson
  • Reply 2 of 8
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    I tried a similarly advertised spam-blocking app from AT&T (the #1 helper of the NSA and FBI) and my 11 Max Pro battery life went to h*ll.
    This raises the question of why we need an app to block the calls, when it seems far more efficient to block the calls within Verizon's system.
    Of course, if there's tracking/behavioral information the cellular provider gets from the app that it couldn't otherwise obtain, I can see why they'd push an app and maybe why it's free--because they'll sell the information for a profit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    While it starts at free, that the networks are charging for premium levels of spam and robocall blocking is absurd -- theyre already charging us a service fee. Them able to make money off robocallers removes the incentive for them to fix the actual problem.
    Dogpersonwilliamlondondewmerazorpitdavgregwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 8
    While it starts at free, that the networks are charging for premium levels of spam and robocall blocking is absurd -- theyre already charging us a service fee. Them able to make money off robocallers removes the incentive for them to fix the actual problem.
    Agreed.

CallerID costs nothing, calling Name costs minimal (because CNAM dips go to some other company), and they've all had to implement call authentication with STIR/SHAKEN, so charging people for weeding out everything else really is a money grab.

I appreciate T-Mobile's offering of all of those capabilities now for free. I forgot what having true Caller ID was like (on landlines) until I got a business line where calling name was included.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 8
    pslicepslice Posts: 150member
    Right now I pay Verizon $2.99 a month for this. 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    Absolutely agree. Verizon is part of the problem by not scraping off the cyberphlegm that’s clogging the network services that they are selling to customers. Robocalls and spam are noise that’s reducing the quality of service that their customers receive. Making customers pay to de-louse Verizon’s dirty network is like a hotel charging you an upgrade fee for a room that’s not infested with bedbugs.  
    edited July 2020 davgregwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Considering what they charge for service this should be free.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Might be worth it if it can detect robocalls.  I'd personally like to drown the people behind 'your car's warranty has expired.'  Especially given all our vehicles are new and under full warranty.
    watto_cobra