Apple targeted by multi-state consumer protection investigation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Apple is the target of a multi-state consumer protection investigation, according to leaked documents uncovered by a technology watchdog group, though details are murky.

Credit: WikiMedia
Credit: WikiMedia


The Cupertino tech giant is already under antitrust scrutiny in the U.S. and Europe, and has been in the spotlight by consumer protection groups in recent years.

A new report from Axios on Thursday indicates that multiple U.S. states are currently investigating Apple for potentially deceiving customers. There are currently no exact details on the probe, however.

Per a document uncovered by technology watchdog Tech Transparency Project, the Texas attorney general may file a lawsuit against Apple for violating the state's deceptive trade practices law. That complaint would be in connection with a current multi-state investigation.

Originally, the Texas Consumer Protection Division "initiated this investigation for enforcement purposes. If violations are uncovered, CPD will initiate enforcement proceedings. Accordingly, the OAG anticipates litigation in this matter," the uncovered documents read.

It isn't clear what the basis of the allegations are. Texas' consumer protection law bars policies that are deemed false, deceptive or misleading.

Neither Apple nor the Texas AG responded to requests for comment from Axios.

Apple CEO Tim Cook is set to testify in a U.S. House Judiciary Committee meeting on July 27 as part of a broader probe investigating the market dominance of major technology companies.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 829member
    That’s why America cannot compete Face to face, tech to tech with other multi national tech particularly Asian giants. Our tech firms if becomes so successful they Are being accused of anti-competitive. They did not get to this success with out trials and failures, .. well then others can do the same, why not??? 
    imat
  • Reply 2 of 12
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,010member
    Deceiving customers???? That’s normal business practices for almost every company, state and federal government agencies along with our current president (well, most presidents) and most lawyers! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    imatimat Posts: 201member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    That’s why America cannot compete Face to face, tech to tech with other multi national tech particularly Asian giants. Our tech firms if becomes so successful they Are being accused of anti-competitive. They did not get to this success with out trials and failures, .. well then others can do the same, why not??? 

    Yet... the eu has lower broadband costs and higher speeds too. To be able to compete on a worldwide market might not be equal to having a dominant position but, instead, being the best innovator. If the public (politics) gets in the way, maybe it means one has grown complacent? 

  • Reply 4 of 12
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 454member
    I wonder if in private when there is no chance of being overheard that the top Apple executives say to each other that they wish Apple Park would have been built in a country outside of the US and EU.
    edited July 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    CuJoYYCCuJoYYC Posts: 73member
    American election season is in full swing with all the bluster and faux outrage electoral hopefuls can muster.
    entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,094member
    MisterKit said:
    I wonder if in private when there is no chance of being overheard that the top Apple executives say to each other that they wish Apple Park would have been built in a country outside of the US and EU.
    What’s the difference? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 2,530member
    Ah, the only exercise forum-goers here ever get: jumping to conclusions! :lol: 

    Apple gets accused of "deceiving customers" all the time. Throttle-gate, anyone?

    Very few have any merit, and most go no place. A few get to the initial stages of court and then go no further. We've read of many such cases here.

    Crazy idea: let's wait until we have some handle on what -- specifically -- the investigations turn up or accuse Apple of. Like them though we do and generally in the right as they are, Apple is not some angelic spirit free from earthly sin, as their occasional losses show. There might be something of merit here. Or not. There's just not enough information to go on yet.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    chasm said:
    Ah, the only exercise forum-goers here ever get: jumping to conclusions! :lol: 

    Apple gets accused of "deceiving customers" all the time. Throttle-gate, anyone?

    Very few have any merit, and most go no place. A few get to the initial stages of court and then go no further. We've read of many such cases here.

    Crazy idea: let's wait until we have some handle on what -- specifically -- the investigations turn up or accuse Apple of. Like them though we do and generally in the right as they are, Apple is not some angelic spirit free from earthly sin, as their occasional losses show. There might be something of merit here. Or not. There's just not enough information to go on yet.

    Well said!!!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Kuyangkoh said:
    That’s why America cannot compete Face to face, tech to tech with other multi national tech particularly Asian giants. Our tech firms if becomes so successful they Are being accused of anti-competitive. They did not get to this success with out trials and failures, .. well then others can do the same, why not??? 
    LOL that doesn’t make much sense... Lenovo for example is a Chinese company and has access to US market. On the other hand is China that bans Google Facebook and other tech companies so not sure the there’s such a thing as superior Chinese technology 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 966member
    Suing for Dollars.

    What deceptive practices? 
    If Apple is guilty of deceptive trade practices they need to go after every cell phone carrier, every credit card issuer and almost any insurance company.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    davgreg said:
    Suing for Dollars.

    What deceptive practices? 
    If Apple is guilty of deceptive trade practices they need to go after every cell phone carrier, every credit card issuer and almost any insurance company.

    I'm actually wondering about this one.   Apple needs to be held accountable for many of their actions but I can't recall of anything that is deceptive.   Well maybe calling the Mac Pro a high performance computer might be one.  

    What needs to be addressed in Apples case and more generally is the right to repair.    Unfortunately the industry has gotten way to greedy in recent years and artificially restricts access to parts and documentation that can significantly impact cost of ownership for consumers.
Sign In or Register to comment.