All the new features and changes in iOS 14 beta 3

Posted:
in iOS edited July 2020
With the third beta of iOS 14, Apple continues to tweak the update. We got another new app icon this time around as well as several changes for widgets, the Music app, and much more.

The Music app got a new icon with iOS 14 beta 4
The Music app got a new icon with iOS 14 beta 4

Here are the changes we've uncovered thus far in the third developer beta of iOS 14.

• Music icon went from a white background to a red with a white music note

• Music widget also has a new colorful background

• Clock app now has a widget which was missing in the first two betas

• New popup when launching the widget editor for the first time

• New popup when editing Home screen

• New popup when accessing App Library for the first time

• In the Music app, the Library view has new app icons

• Users can now share Apple Music songs, albums, and playlists to Snapchat Stories from the Music app

• While editing the Home screen in jiggle mode, widgets jiggle now as well

• New option to be reminded to wash your hands when you arrive home in the Health app

• This updates now supports on-device translation rather than relying on remote servers

• Weather widgets in iPadOS was removed

• More details on the new mask face coverin for Memoji

• Redesigned Screen Time widgets

• You can now access an app icon's contextual menus when in the App Library list view

• Display Zoom now on 5.8-inch iPhones

• 3D Touch is (temporarily) removed

• New doorbell and camera icon in the Home app

• Smart Stack widget now has new larger size

• Health app shows number of hand washes and not just time

• iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and SE 2020 gain support for "back tap"
The third developer beta of iOS 14 comes roughly two weeks after the second developer beta. A new public beta has yet to be issued, though it may possibly arrive soon, barring no issues with the developer beta.

This accompanies the release of the third betas of macOS Big Sur, tvOS 14, and watchOS 7.

As always, this list is non-exhaustive and we will continue to add features as they are uncovered. If you spot a change not on the list, be sure to let us know via email or on Twitter @Andrew_OSU.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I’m looking forward to iOS 14 and I’m happy you’re all over the changes, even the small ones.

I’m curious, though, if iOS can do on device translation, which to me seems very complex (but I have no idea), why can’t Siri perform more queries on device? I don’t fully, or even partially, understand why something as simple as asking to play a song that is downloaded to my iPhone requires an internet connection but translating an entire sentence from one language to another and then reciting it can be done entirely on device.
    jony0lollivermike1CheeseFreeze
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Is Apple News Audio included with News+ ?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    You should saying which this beta 3 are for. Developer Beta or Public Beta. I check my iPhone XS Max and it said, “iOS 14.0 Your software is up to date” on Beta 2.
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 4 of 20
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    Personally, I find the red background on the music widget atrocious. 

Interestingly, the Apple/Google Bluetooth stack for the COVID tracing is apparently still absent. 

Other than that I’m pleasantly surprised about the overall stability  App Library is growing on me. My home screens look more tidy and the widgets are definitely welcome. Oh, and scribble on the iPad is just awesome. 
    Nice one so far. 
  • Reply 5 of 20
    You should saying which this beta 3 are for. Developer Beta or Public Beta. I check my iPhone XS Max and it said, “iOS 14.0 Your software is up to date” on Beta 2.

The Beta for public is not released yet. The Developer Beta 3 is the only options so far. Once the Public Beta is released, it will likely be the same build as Beta 3 (barring some unforeseen problems). The features will be identical, public just isn’t out yet.
    llama
  • Reply 6 of 20
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

The very first sentence in the article:

“ Here are the changes we've uncovered thus far in the third developer beta of iOS 14.”
    fastasleeplolliverthtllama
  • Reply 7 of 20
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    It already is in iOS 13.6.
  • Reply 8 of 20

I don’t have it on iOS 14.0 dev beta 2

• Reply 9 of 20
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Maybe the Weather widget is the first beta of the switchover to Dark Sky  ;)  :D  B)
  • Reply 10 of 20

I don’t have it on iOS 14.0 dev beta 2

Oh, weird — sorry, no idea why it's not in the beta at all if it's in 13.6 since last week.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    So far...
    - an additional step to block spam text and call senders.
    - an additional step and app to set sleep time.
    Also how about add a toggle for app library. It’s more complicated than a phone with 24 apps on it. 
  • Reply 12 of 20
    meanwhile im still waiting for apple to enable notification quick actions on the lock screen of my 2020 iphone se. 🙄
    they work just fine when my phone is unlocked, so not a true hardware/software limitation, just an obtuse yet glaring simple omission on apple's part.
    that being said, im sticking with iphone, just annoyed.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    iOS 14 looks really good. I'm looking forward to the final release and, of course, the new iPhone!

Nice video, AI!
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 14 of 20
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    meanwhile im still waiting for apple to enable notification quick actions on the lock screen of my 2020 iphone se. 🙄
    they work just fine when my phone is unlocked, so not a true hardware/software limitation, just an obtuse yet glaring simple omission on apple's part.
    that being said, im sticking with iphone, just annoyed.
    A glaring omission that you must unlock your phone before interacting with things that that lock is meant to protect?
    dewmemike1fastasleep
  • Reply 15 of 20
    On Beta 2 iPhone pro 11 I could reboot/crash the phone via camera video ( switching fast between lenses - until edges flickering - and finally hang and reboot) — seems fixed now
  • Reply 16 of 20
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    I noticed a couple more changes:

• Wifi signal strength is now shown next to cellular signal strength in CarPlay, at the expense of cellular network type (e.g. LTE). As I didn't have a Wifi signal, the icon just showed the arcs with an exclamation mark in the middle.
    • Junecloud's excellent Deliveries app now works again with no changes to the app.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 507member
    “Public Beta 3” is out.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Yeah that makes no sense. Beta 3 is version 3 regardless of which version you have installed. If you have version 2 then obviously you don’t have access to the changes in version 3. 
  • Reply 19 of 20
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    I’m looking forward to iOS 14 and I’m happy you’re all over the changes, even the small ones.

I’m curious, though, if iOS can do on device translation, which to me seems very complex (but I have no idea), why can’t Siri perform more queries on device? I don’t fully, or even partially, understand why something as simple as asking to play a song that is downloaded to my iPhone requires an internet connection but translating an entire sentence from one language to another and then reciting it can be done entirely on device.
    It’s a good question. I think it would require a huge architectural change. You’d need some sort of a two tier system; the first tier on the device checks whether the instruction from the user is part of a library of commands that should be executed locally. That takes Siri, that lives on cloud servers, to live on your phone as well and be designed optimally for just your device. That might well as be a completely different technology from the actual “server Siri” designed to take on millions of requests across the globe, which is the second tier.

My gut feeling is that the current Siri, including iOS14, has been incremental updates in top of legacy architecture. There has been many issues with it and I believe AppleInsider once reported on how it was born and how engineers hate it. Or I might have read it elsewhere,  I sure.
    I have personally been in touch with startups building Siri-like tech that already have services that can do so much more on interpreting context, personalization, adaptability, making ‘neurological’ connections, etc. Ofcourse therse companies don’t have the Apple consumer ecosystem, and target different markets.
    My guess is that Apple has been building something radically different and better for years now and that device-side requests will be released with that next evolution of Siri, and is designed to integrate with Apple Silicon from the get to, to cover this “first tier”.
    Anything before that would be a huge waste of time and money because the current Siri is inherently limited and would mean they have to try to build a skyscraper on top of a weak foundation.
  • Reply 20 of 20

It’s a good question. I think it would require a huge architectural change. You’d need some sort of a two tier system; the first tier on the device checks whether the instruction from the user is part of a library of commands that should be executed locally. That takes Siri, that lives on cloud servers, to live on your phone as well and be designed optimally for just your device. That might well as be a completely different technology from the actual “server Siri” designed to take on millions of requests across the globe, which is the second tier.

My gut feeling is that the current Siri, including iOS14, has been incremental updates in top of legacy architecture. There has been many issues with it and I believe AppleInsider once reported on how it was born and how engineers hate it. Or I might have read it elsewhere,  I sure.
    I have personally been in touch with startups building Siri-like tech that already have services that can do so much more on interpreting context, personalization, adaptability, making ‘neurological’ connections, etc. Ofcourse therse companies don’t have the Apple consumer ecosystem, and target different markets.
    My guess is that Apple has been building something radically different and better for years now and that device-side requests will be released with that next evolution of Siri, and is designed to integrate with Apple Silicon from the get to, to cover this “first tier”.
    Anything before that would be a huge waste of time and money because the current Siri is inherently limited and would mean they have to try to build a skyscraper on top of a weak foundation.
    I think you're right. There was some reporting on how different parts of Siri are isolated from other parts. So I think what we have now are several silos that Siri pulls from, and requests get triaged and directed to whichever silo seems appropriate for the request — whether that's local or on the internet. Also I think this hinders a lot of cross-communication and following context etc in series of requests. I'm speculating a bit here but I wouldn't be surprised if it's some combo of these issues.

This is also why I think when people say that Apple isn't making improvements to Siri that they're most certainly rebuilding it from the ground up behind the scenes while still rolling out smaller updates on the existing infrastructure, like new abilities etc. that may not seem like giant leaps forward — but hopefully will eventually converge into something great.

I hope. :)