Apple releases trailer for season 2 of 'For All Mankind'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    urahara said:
    viclauyyc said:
    This is the only show I finish watching in ATV+. I really love it. Not that other is bad, just not very interested me.

Hope companies are more willing to invested in science fiction series than dragon series. 
    I am waiting for Asimov’s Foundations. 
    Hope Apple get's it 'right', whatever that is. Foundation can be a little slow at times and understandably anachronistic. In a short segment that I have seen, I noticed a gender change in one character, which is good to see.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    entropys said:
    Serious question. Do cartridges fire in space?

Gunpowder has it's own oxidizer, so yes they will fire.  Without atmospheric pressure external to the gun, the chamber pressure will be slightly higher, so I would expect a higher muzzle velocity.  As another reader pointed out, the bullet will likely enter an orbit, or fly into space.  But given the amount of microscopic - massive space debris we have naturally, moving at far higher energy levels - the odds of the bullet hitting something are remote compared to other space junk.

Space is a really big place.

randominternetpersonSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    hodar said:
    entropys said:
    Serious question. Do cartridges fire in space?

Gunpowder has it's own oxidizer, so yes they will fire.  Without atmospheric pressure external to the gun, the chamber pressure will be slightly higher, so I would expect a higher muzzle velocity.  As another reader pointed out, the bullet will likely enter an orbit, or fly into space.  But given the amount of microscopic - massive space debris we have naturally, moving at far higher energy levels - the odds of the bullet hitting something are remote compared to other space junk.

Space is a really big place.

Ok, I "did the math" (looked a few numbers up on the internet).  It seems that a handgun could not shoot a cartridge out of the moon's gravity well (and even into orbit?).

The muzzle velocity (on Earth) of a typical handgun cartridge is in the neighborhood of 1200 m/s.  The escape velocity on the moon is 2.38 km/s.  So a bullet is only going half the speed needed even if fired straight up.  Fired horizontally it would just go a really long way (complicating one's compliance with the 4th rule of gun safety).
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rainmaker said:
    I’m looking forward to it, as I really enjoyed the first season. It was very well done. Please bring me a second season of See also! That was my favorite.
    Liked Jason Momoa in it when he was fighting since he seems very well trained in fighting techniques, but the entire show has been far too grim for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Cdr. Ed Baldwin drives a Camaro? Really?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    iqatedo said:
    urahara said:

I am waiting for Asimov’s Foundations. 
    Hope Apple get's it 'right', whatever that is. Foundation can be a little slow at times and understandably anachronistic. In a short segment that I have seen, I noticed a gender change in one character, which is good to see.
    Don't worry about slow parts. The movie industry has never worried about following what's in a book...any book...even a history book. They have multiple gratuitous solutions for "slow parts": chase scenes, fight scenes, sex scenes, romance scenes, main character soliloquy, humorous sidekicks, etc. None of which need to be in the original book.