Intel announces technology team restructuring amid 7nm woes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    jdb8167 said:
    JinTech said:
    "Oh shit our stock is in the toilet and Apple is bout pounce on us, what are we gonna do!? Lets restructure!"
    They're restructuring because the person directly responsible for Intel's f**kups the past few years is being fired.
    Well, he didn’t make things better but I suspect that the troubles at Intel go way deeper than a single executive. He might have the been the reason that Jim Keller left though which in my mind would make this a correct decision. Intel is in big trouble and one firing of a potentially problematic executive isn’t going to right the ship. Bob Swan is the next to go probably. 
    I agree.  It is definitely not a guarantee.  Some say Bob Swan is next.  Some say Raja Koduri is next.
    I bet Raja wins because the only hope that Intel has to show some competence is with the Tiger Lake GPU and that is all Raja from what I understand. The Tiger Lake GPU actually looks good.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    jdb8167 said:
    jdb8167 said:
    JinTech said:
    "Oh shit our stock is in the toilet and Apple is bout pounce on us, what are we gonna do!? Lets restructure!"
    They're restructuring because the person directly responsible for Intel's f**kups the past few years is being fired.
    Well, he didn’t make things better but I suspect that the troubles at Intel go way deeper than a single executive. He might have the been the reason that Jim Keller left though which in my mind would make this a correct decision. Intel is in big trouble and one firing of a potentially problematic executive isn’t going to right the ship. Bob Swan is the next to go probably. 
    I agree.  It is definitely not a guarantee.  Some say Bob Swan is next.  Some say Raja Koduri is next.
    I bet Raja wins because the only hope that Intel has to show some competence is with the Tiger Lake GPU and that is all Raja from what I understand. The Tiger Lake GPU actually looks good.
    100%
  • Reply 23 of 39
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 510member
    omasou said:
    anome said:
    JinTech said:
    Arrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying "Deckchairs, Titanic, Rearrange, On".

Actually, I don't think Intel is in that much trouble. It may be that this will fix their problems with the engineering bottleneck they seem to be in, but probably won't. Sometimes organisations just like to rearrange things to look like they're doing something, and it has no actual effect.
    Seriously? Intel just lost the biggest customer in the WORLD and you are attributing the reporting change due to grins and giggles.

The reason they are reporting to the CEO is b/c if he doesn't right the ship in 2 years and also develop a plan to replace the gapping hole in revenue left by Apple, he will be NEXT!
    Apple is not Intel's biggest customer.  There are three that are bigger -- Dell, HP and Lenovo.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/07/09/pc-shipments-q2-2020/

anomepscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 39
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    omasou said:
    anome said:
    JinTech said:
    Arrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying "Deckchairs, Titanic, Rearrange, On".

Actually, I don't think Intel is in that much trouble. It may be that this will fix their problems with the engineering bottleneck they seem to be in, but probably won't. Sometimes organisations just like to rearrange things to look like they're doing something, and it has no actual effect.
    Seriously? Intel just lost the biggest customer in the WORLD and you are attributing the reporting change due to grins and giggles.

The reason they are reporting to the CEO is b/c if he doesn't right the ship in 2 years and also develop a plan to replace the gapping hole in revenue left by Apple, he will be NEXT!
    Actually, when you compare the number of Apple devices sold with Intel processors in them to the number of Windows PCs, Linux Boxes, embedded systems, servers, etc etc...it doesn't actually add up to much. Apple leaving Intel won't crash the company. There'll be a slight downturn in revenue, sure, but they still have every other PC manufacturer currently using their chips. It would probably take a couple more companies to get tired of waiting for them to catch up, and dump them (probably for AMD) before they're in real trouble.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 39
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    lkrupp said:
    anome said:
    JinTech said:

Agree. intel will be around as long as tech luddites who won’t let go of X86 keep building cheap boxes that run Windows. You know, 95% of the market.
    I am not saying wintel is good. But say 95% of the market is bad, wrong and dumb is some kind of arrogant. 
    There is lot of people and company in other countries can’t afford the Apple premium. Or Windows is the only solution, either hardware limitation and no software in Apple side. Some companies might even still running windows 3.1 because that is the only OS  can control a 40 year machine.

I really hope this is the last time I need to defend for wintel.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 39
    viclauyyc said:
    lkrupp said:
    anome said:
    JinTech said:

Agree. intel will be around as long as tech luddites who won’t let go of X86 keep building cheap boxes that run Windows. You know, 95% of the market.
    I am not saying wintel is good. But say 95% of the market is bad, wrong and dumb is some kind of arrogant. 
    There is lot of people and company in other countries can’t afford the Apple premium. Or Windows is the only solution, either hardware limitation and no software in Apple side. Some companies might even still running windows 3.1 because that is the only OS  can control a 40 year machine.

I really hope this is the last time I need to defend for wintel.
    Uhhhh,,,,,you do know where you are don't you?  I assure you, it won't be the last time.
    edited July 2020 williamlondonwatto_cobraviclauyyckillroy
  • Reply 27 of 39
    omasou said:
    anome said:
    JinTech said:

Wrong.  Apple Macs represent anywhere from 8% to 10% of the laptop / desktop computing market. The rest is predominantly Windows.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    omasou said:
    anome said:
    JinTech said:

Wrong.  Apple Macs represent anywhere from 8% to 10% of the laptop / desktop computing market. The rest is predominantly Windows.
    The biggest problem for Intel is not the loss of a large customer but the loss of a large customer who tends to drive the PC industry trends. Apple moving away from x86_64 has got be a bit concerning to Intel. The industry tends to at least watch what Apple is doing even if they don’t always follow (though sometimes they do). Apple could be the market force that allows HP, Dell and Lenovo to look at x86 alternatives. They can’t do that on their own, but if the market moves to ARM, Intel could be in a lot more trouble than it looks based on Apple’s market share. We’ll see.
    edited July 2020 Rayz2016JWSCwatto_cobrakillroy
  • Reply 29 of 39
    chelinchelin Posts: 106member
    I’m quite torn here. I generally do not have a problem for consumer grade custom CPUs. However one obvious risk with moving off the x86_64 architecture is that necessary developer tools such as hypervizors and products such as Docker and Java will not be readily available. Apple gained a lot of enterprise developers once they moved to Intel. 
    Now their work laptop will probably be some Linux variant. This means less awareness and higher threshold to write iOS apps. I could be wrong, but I think Apple would have better long term chances. It will take years, only time will tell
    williamlondonwatto_cobraviclauyyc
  • Reply 30 of 39
    killroykillroy Posts: 271member
    Well Intel well have to fix the security bugs and get the chips to 5 and 3nm.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 39
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Intel is the modern day Nokia or Blackberry. Once huge and stupidly thought they were too big to fail. Spending little to no time and money making their products better, they just pushed out warmed up products thinking that they could go on doing that forever. In a race, just because you are way out in front, doesn't mean you can relax and slow down, there are always people chasing.
    williamlondonpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 39
    lkrupp said:
    anome said:
    JinTech said:

50% of the market is smartphones and tablets, a market Intel and AMD lost flat out. Laptops are also the dominant form factor when it comes to traditional computers, which is where power efficiency is the most important, an area where Intel has failed in spectacularly.
    edited July 2020 JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 39
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    omasou said:

Apple represented about 5-7% of Intel's profits.  No, not as big as you think it is.  

Apple is certainly Intel's most visible customer though.
    williamlondonpscooter63JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 39
    jdb8167 said:
    omasou said:
    anome said:
    JinTech said:

The biggest problem for Intel is not the loss of a large customer but the loss of a large customer who tends to drive the PC industry trends. Apple moving away from x86_64 has got be a bit concerning to Intel. The industry tends to at least watch what Apple is doing even if they don’t always follow (though sometimes they do). Apple could be the market force that allows HP, Dell and Lenovo to look at x86 alternatives. They can’t do that on their own, but if the market moves to ARM, Intel could be in a lot more trouble than it looks based on Apple’s market share. We’ll see.
    Apple is definitely a catalyst but MS, I think, will have a bigger influence on those OEM's with respect to if they move to ARM or now.  There is a Windows on ARM but it hasn't gotten much mindshare so far.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 39
    imatimat Posts: 208member
    Restructuring by dividing the entities is the first step in evaluating the sale of single entities. Always has been and always will be. It makes it easier to "outsource" manufacturing and keeping IP and design in house.
    Rayz2016FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 39
    For ages the assumption in the industry was that performance = Intel (meaning architecture + supplier). 
    Lately AMD (and Intel stuck at 14nm forever) showed that Intel is not the sole supplier of performant chips. 
    The Mac transition will prove that Intel is not the only architecture that can yield serious performance. 
    Prominent software companies will be forced to recompile for ARM.
    The low cost of ARM chips will create an opportunity for cheap PCs.  This might revive WIN on ARM that was basically ignored. Chips progress and emulators become acceptable. 
    Intel backwards compatibility becomes baggage rather than a desirable feature. 
    Suddenly the huge price differential is not justified anymore. 
    imatwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 39
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 427member
    jdb8167 said:
    JinTech said:
    Me too. Expecting a form reversal with just one executive going is simplistic. The time for action instead of words was probably a decade ago.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 39
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,334member
    Intel losing Apple as a desktop processor provider is more of a serious image/credibility problem than a revenue killer - today. Going forward, whether Intel can become a dominant player in IoT, intelligent devices, and massively scalable distributed computing is what will define their future potential. They obviously have the chops and products to fill certain aspects in the big picture, i.e., high performance servers/desktops, high performance computing nodes, and high performance edge devices. But they're going to struggle with intelligent devices that have energy constraints, overall scalability, and system performance elasticity  (e.g., ARM's big.LITTLE style architecture).

Intel has to decide whether it wants to defend the markets it can still dominate or to go after markets where it is a smaller player. I suspect they'll not make this an either-or decision. I expect they will first try to reestablish themselves as the go-to provider in markets that are under attack by the likes of AMD by incrementally improving power efficiency, scalability, and elasticity at the computing node level. Longer term they'll have to address how to have a bigger presence in the intelligent device market, where some of their initial steps like modems and Atom have had little impact. There should be a high level of concern at Intel, but they should not panic. Apple's move is a warning shot across the bow, but they still have the ability to respond intelligently.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    chelin said:
    I’m quite torn here. I generally do not have a problem for consumer grade custom CPUs. However one obvious risk with moving off the x86_64 architecture is that necessary developer tools such as hypervizors and products such as Docker and Java will not be readily available. Apple gained a lot of enterprise developers once they moved to Intel. 
    Now their work laptop will probably be some Linux variant. This means less awareness and higher threshold to write iOS apps. I could be wrong, but I think Apple would have better long term chances. It will take years, only time will tell

Docker was running natively on ASi at the WWDC.
    They also demonstrated Linux running natively on the new platform.

Writing iOS apps hasn't really changed.

JWSCwatto_cobra