Post your 970 Tower mock ups

Comments

• Reply 81 of 215
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

It does look like water. The solid state components of a computer don't care about whether the environment is gas or liquid, as long as it is non-corrosive and non-(electrically)-conductive.

But the HD and CD drives are not solid state, and not designed for the increased resistance to their mechanisims. I would be very surprised if any worked. Be thankful you own a Mac with FireWire booting.

Barto

The HD is sealed, isn't it? I just wanna put my comp in a bucket of the stuff and then tell my shocked friends that it was dirty and I wanted to clean it
  • Reply 82 of 215
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    It's a myth that Hard Drives are sealed. They are in fact not.

Barto
  • Reply 83 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

It's a myth that Hard Drives are sealed. They are in fact not.

Barto

Well nuts. There goes that idea
  • Reply 84 of 215
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Well nuts. There goes that idea

Take a hard drive, insert the cables and set the jumpers. Then go out and buy a bucket of Polyester. Put some duct tape over the seals and bolt holes. Then just dip the drive into the polyester and let it dry. Repeat this a few times. You'll soon have yourself a watertight disk.
  • Reply 85 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Take a hard drive, insert the cables and set the jumpers. Then go out and buy a bucket of Polyester. Put some duct tape over the seals and bolt holes. Then just dip the drive into the polyester and let it dry. Repeat this a few times. You'll soon have yourself a watertight disk.

lol, I'm not that desperate
  • Reply 86 of 215
    chilleymacchilleymac Posts: 142member
    Here is my poor excuse for a mockup, done in Illustrator. Let the bashing commence. There are two firewire ports on the fronside of the tower. It has a hot swoppable harddrive and two full size bays for additional drives on the front. It is aluminum housed in a lucite shell. There is an airport extreme antenna in the handle. The innards are whatever you imagine.

http://homepage.mac.com/chilley/
  • Reply 87 of 215
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Or, take a hard drive, do all the other stuff then shove it in a condom and make sure the knot's real tight. Lots quicker (actual time is dependent on how good you are with condoms ).

Oh, and hard drives aren't sealed up watertight, but they are usually dustproof: that's what the little stickers saying "don't remove this if you want to live" do. I know this because I have taken lots off...

Oh, and chilleymac... no. Too many MDD/El Capitan carryover features to justify making a change (though top marks for ditching those front bullet-holes), and that huge-ass handle makes it look totally lopsided: every Ive Mac has been symmetrical in overall form, with only irritating things like I/O ports and power keys spoiling the effect...
  • Reply 88 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

It's a computer bathed in oil for cooling. Over time, most oils will cause fiberglass and other weak plastics to break-down though.

Actually, you could just use water. Contrary to popular opinion H20 is not conductive. Unless of course, you dope it with salts or other impurities.
  • Reply 89 of 215
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    That stuff cost like 60 dollars a gallon.

Have fun pissing ur money away for stupid tricks.

Its for hardcore overclockers who can aford to burn cpus
  • Reply 90 of 215
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member

This one is still my favorite, and by far the sweetist computer case I've ever seen. I may even try to build one someday

The next one seems more like something along the lines of what we might see from apple.

but it lacks that excellence of Apple design team feel. Unlike the one above.

• Reply 91 of 215
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

This one is still my favorite, and by far the sweetist computer case I've ever seen. I may even try to build one someday

Damn, thats one sweet box!

A bit too extreme for Apple though.
  • Reply 92 of 215
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

[img]

I think/hope for something along these lines, not as angular and not all the same chrome. I think more brushed metal or alumninum then the chrome finish which will finger print up all to hell.
  • Reply 93 of 215
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    I think both of the above are nasty, especially the big transparent 'X'.

They are not at all Ive-Like
  • Reply 94 of 215
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

Actually, you could just use water. Contrary to popular opinion H20 is not conductive. Unless of course, you dope it with salts or other impurities.

Does that look like pure water to you?

The Fluorinert idea is interesting, though expensive and evaporates quickly. The military did experiments with breathing oxygenated Fluorinert for deeeeeeeeeeep diving, IIRC. Think the pink stuff from Abyss.
  • Reply 95 of 215
    Wheee, on a more positive note, this provides some info:

"Page 1

3M

TM

Fluorinert

TM

liquids are a family of clear, colorless, odorless, inert per-fluorinated fluids having a viscosity similar to water but approximately 75%

greater density. These non-flammable liquids have set the standard in the electronics industry for 40 years, meeting the demanding and diverse requirements of many heat transfer, manufacturing and testing applications. Fluorinert liquids are thermally and chemically stable, compatible with sensitive materials, including metals, plastics and elastomers, and are practically non-toxic.

Fluorinert liquids are completely fluorinated, containing no chlorine or

hydrogen atoms. The strength of the carbon-fluorine bond contributes to their extreme stability and inertness. This chemical structure also results in very low intermolecular forces, low surface tension and essentially no solvent action on non-fluorinated compounds.

The dielectric strength of perfluorinated liquids is high-in excess of 35,000 volts across a 0.1 inch gap. Water solubility is on the order of a few parts per million. The nominal boiling point of each fluid in this series is determined during their manufacture. Fluorinert liquids are available with boiling points ranging from 30ºC to 215ºC and pour points as low as -101ºC."

I don't see it happening, but a clear case filled with this stuff, but (obviously) showing the machine's guts would be kinda cool IMHO.
  • Reply 96 of 215
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jouster

Wheee, on a more positive note, this provides some info:

"Page 1

3M

TM

Fluorinert

TM

liquids are a family of clear, colorless, odorless, inert per-fluorinated fluids having a viscosity similar to water but approximately 75%

greater density. These non-flammable liquids have set the standard in the electronics industry for 40 years, meeting the demanding and diverse requirements of many heat transfer, manufacturing and testing applications. Fluorinert liquids are thermally and chemically stable, compatible with sensitive materials, including metals, plastics and elastomers, and are practically non-toxic.

Fluorinert liquids are completely fluorinated, containing no chlorine or

hydrogen atoms. The strength of the carbon-fluorine bond contributes to their extreme stability and inertness. This chemical structure also results in very low intermolecular forces, low surface tension and essentially no solvent action on non-fluorinated compounds.

The dielectric strength of perfluorinated liquids is high-in excess of 35,000 volts across a 0.1 inch gap. Water solubility is on the order of a few parts per million. The nominal boiling point of each fluid in this series is determined during their manufacture. Fluorinert liquids are available with boiling points ranging from 30ºC to 215ºC and pour points as low as -101ºC."

I don't see it happening, but a clear case filled with this stuff, but (obviously) showing the machine's guts would be kinda cool IMHO.

I've got to say, I don't see that happening. I actually test this stuff. Well, maybe not that exact stuff, I'm not entirely sure, but stuff like it. At any rate, there would be two reasons. One, if you had a leak in your case, flourinated chemicals do NOT have a pleasant odor. Two, as is written up there, they are much denser than water. A case with a bunch of water would be heavy enough, let alone something that is practically twice as dense.
  • Reply 97 of 215
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The quote says Fluorinert is odorless...
  • Reply 98 of 215
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The quote says Fluorinert is odorless...

Woops, sorry! Not reading carefully enough.......

At any rate, the stuff would still be way to heavy.
  • Reply 99 of 215
    As I said, I doubt it'll happen - in fact as the 970s (assuming they are used) seem to run quite cool by all accounts, I doubt there's a need for it.

I would argue though that making the cases leak proof would be a trivial problem, especially as not all of the innards would need to be liquid coled anyway.

But it'd still be cool
  • Reply 100 of 215
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    NM