Facebook says Apple's iOS 14 could hinder ad revenue

Posted:
in iOS
Facebook CFO David Wehner on Thursday said changes in the way Apple's iOS handles ad tracking tools will impact the social network's bottom line starting in the third quarter of 2020.

IDFA in iOS 14

Wehner during Facebook's quarterly earnings conference call said new user privacy features set to debut with iOS 14 this fall will restrict the company's ability to target consumers and measure ad effectiveness, reports CNBC.

"We're still trying to understand what these changes will look like and how they will impact us and the rest of the industry, but at the very least, it's going to make it harder for app developers and others to grow using ads on Facebook and elsewhere," Wehner said.

Detailed in June at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, the upcoming iOS 14 privacy option asks users to opt-in to Identifier for Advertisers (IDFA) tracking on an app-by-app basis. IDFA numbers are used by ad servers to track user engagement without revealing sensitive data.

Currently, IDFA access is allowed across Apple's mobile platform, with users able to limit tracking in the Settings menu. When iOS 14 launches, users opening an app for the first time will be met with a permission dialogue box with two selections: "Allow Tracking" and "Ask Apps Not to Track."

Bringing tracking alternatives out of Settings and to the fore is expected to have a significant impact on IDFA data availability.

According to Wehner, Facebook expects the change to ding advertising revenue starting in the third quarter of 2020, with a more pronounced effect coming in the fourth quarter.

Facebook beat Wall Street estimates for the second quarter of 2020 with $18.7 billion in revenue, up 11% year-over-year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Oh boohoo, cry me a river Mark Zuckerberg  :D
    Oferp-dogGabyqwerty52dewmemike1ricmacwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 18
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Everyone jump on big Apple! Let's team up on the company that made us!!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    And the downside of this is...?
    FaceBook is pathological. Cutting off its money is an absolute good.
    Oferp-dogGabyBeatsbaconstangdewmeJinTechricmacviclauyycrcfa
  • Reply 4 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Wonderful.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That’s the whole idea, Mark!
    mike1rcfawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 18
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member

Wehner during Facebook's quarterly earnings conference call said new user privacy features set to debut with iOS 14 this fall will restrict the company's ability to target consumers and measure ad effectiveness, reports CNBC

Why FaceBook is believing, that consumers are willing to be their target? Endless arrogance!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    They’ll probably claim Apple is being anti-competitive and ask the government o punish Apple over iOS 14. 
    Beatswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 18
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    lkrupp said:
    They’ll probably claim Apple is being anti-competitive and ask the government o punish Apple over iOS 14. 

I was gonna say this. Everything Apple does will be "anti-competitive". Companies think they're entitled to Apple's success.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 544member
    Boo hoo facebook.  You're the drivel of the internet.  You have made the world go mad.  I'll never miss you.

If the moderators allow me, you're the smegma of the internet.

If I get banned, I see that AppleInsider is your agent of extreme lies.

Sorry AppleInsider.  It's quite logical.  I've had it with facebook.
    baconstangqwerty52osmartormenajrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Companies, like Facebook  are using their applications to suck,  as real parasites, the data of their users, oops....”targets”, in order to make money. And they are pridefully calling that: “Business model”. 
    There’s no place for such applications on my devices.
    rcfaosmartormenajrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    Facebook says Apple's iOS 14 could hinder ad revenue“

And good. 
    qwerty52rcfaosmartormenajrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Facebook says Apple's iOS 14 could hinder ad revenue“

And good. 
    Yes! And strange enough, there are still people claiming that the applications are more important than  the iOS devices. Those people are trying to push the discussion to “What is first: the egg or the chicken”. But we all know that the first was the iPhone, and all the rest came afterwards.
    rcfawatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Oh, darn..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Hang on Zuck, just need to find my teeeeeeny tiiiiinnnnny violin …

lightvox88rcfawatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Pissing off people like Zuck, and making our digital life more secure is why I'm team Apple forever...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Time to pop some champagne...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    The Zuck wants to be the robocaller of the Internet.

We have phones whether they're landlines or cells, and we're subject to unsolicited calls at any time to sell us crap, whether we're in the market or not. Adding insult to injury, we pay for the privilege of getting spam on our cellphones. 

It's taken years to get some meager help from legislation. We get no-call list with toothless penalties and enforcement and almost no actual relief, except on rare occasions. Violators spoof phone numbers, and telcos offer pitifully, woefully little assistance.

And Zuck wants to do and is doing the same to our browsing experience. On the flip side, infrastructure costs money. With a major drop in ad revenue, we'll end up paying one way or another.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    The idea of FB (and others) tracking you **once you leave FB** is completely immoral and completely evil. Permission has never been asked or granted for this, and the sooner it is completely and utterly outlawed the better off everyone will be.
    watto_cobra