Apple's 2020 iPhones will launch 'a few weeks later' than usual

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Apple's "iPhone 12" will launch later than the company's usual September timeframe, the company said Thursday.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

During the company's Q3 2020 earnings call, Apple CFO Luca Maestri said that although Apple last started selling new iPhones in late September, it projects supply of its 2020 devices to be "available a few weeks later." It also noted that its product mix for the September quarter coould be "different."

Previously, multiple rumors suggested that the "iPhone 12" lineup could launch later than September.

Prolific leaker Jon Prosser, for example, tweeted on Wednesday that the lineup would launch in October. That was backed up by comments from Qualcomm CFO Akash Palkhiwala concerning a prominent "flagship phone launch" in the September quarter.

There have been other indications in the supply chain hinting at a possible delay of Apple's September iPhone launch plans. Rumors about a possible later-than-usual iPhone release first started surfacing earlier in 2020.

Because of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Apple is also not providing revenue or guidance for the September quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Wallet open and ready.
    Anilu_777Grayeaglewatto_cobraelector
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 526member
    I’ll wait. I know I’m going to buy the 12 Pro Max or whatever they call it. Upgrading from an 8 Plus here. I’ve waited three years so another month or two is fine. 
    sdw2001watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Given the stuffing around by Telstra last time, my XS should just about be out of contract by then.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 165member
    Will be upgrading my 7 plus to a 12 pro max.  Hope they haven't left out the 5g as some rumors have stated.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    An October roll out will have no impact on anything as long as supply can more or less catch up with demand running into Christmas.

If they were to stagger a rollout with, for example, some models released in October and others in March it could even be beneficial in some circumstances (availability of the latest QC 5G modem comes to mind).

• Reply 6 of 12
    XedXed Posts: 2,546member
    I have already moved from an annual iPhone to one every 2 years with the last two revisions. I’m still on my first year with the iPhone 11 and this pandemic is making wonder how long I’ll be holding onto this phone since I’m not as mobile as I used to be. I’m glad to see that Apple is thriving during this time, but I won’t be helping their numbers much, unless they’re early with ASi Macs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Anilu_777 said:
    I’ll wait. I know I’m going to buy the 12 Pro Max or whatever they call it. Upgrading from an 8 Plus here. I’ve waited three years so another month or two is fine. 
    I have a XS Max.  I’ll be upgrading too.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    avon b7 said:
    An October roll out will have no impact on anything as long as supply can more or less catch up with demand running into Christmas.

If they were to stagger a rollout with, for example, some models released in October and others in March it could even be beneficial in some circumstances (availability of the latest QC 5G modem comes to mind).

One thing it will impact is year-over-year comparisons. The current quarter is likely to be the least profitable July/Aug/Sept quarter they’ve had in a while if no new iPhones are released until October, especially if an early September announcement results in an Osborne Effect. But of course the holiday quarter will be that much better.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    I’ve not decided on whether I will upgrade right away — I tend not to — but my XR will be end-of-contract around the start of 2021, so that will still be a “new” iPhone if I upgrade then.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    Will open my wallet if the phone’s camera is a significant upgrade from my 11 Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I’m currently using a 7.  I’ve hated it’s size since I’ve had it after upgrading from the 5s.  Been holding out for a significantly smaller one since. Can’t wait for the smaller phone in the lineup.  I’d like all the features of a pro in the small one, but the size is the killer feature for me.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I also will be getting (3) of the new iphone 12 Pro Max's when they are available. Plus two new Apple Watches. But only with the 5G on the phones.
    As it turns out the 5G is not even available to us where we live. Verizon is still way behind in their 5G roll out and coverage. I hate shelling out $5,000 for these things. But it makes my wife happy.