Apple Watch 'Series 6' to include new blood oxygen detection

Posted:
in General Discussion
Supply chain sources claim to confirm that the next Apple Watch will finally include the long-expected ability to monitor the wearer's blood oxygen levels.

Apple Watch Series 5
Apple Watch Series 5

Following multiple previous rumors, a new report appears to confirm that "Apple Watch Series 6" will include blood oxygen level monitoring as part of its array of health sensors. This sensor will join other systems on the Apple Watch to help detect heart-related issues.

According to Digitimes, Apple has tapped ASE Technology for what its sources call the "smooth development" of the feature. Digitimes says that the company has now obtained what it calls major orders for Apple Watch 6.

ASE has long worked with Apple on the Watch, making a system-in-package design that has been present, in various forms, since the original Apple Watch.

That original Apple Watch, and all models since, have contained the hardware to enable this blood oxygen detection, but it has not been enabled before. Similarly, Kevin Lynch, Apple vice president of technology, recently revealed that the related sleep tracking has been planned from the start.

Digitimes has a poor record for predicting Apple products, but a far stronger one for the reliability of its sources within the supply chain.

Apple Watch "Series 6" is expected to launch later this year. The new models are typically announced alongside the latest iPhone releases, and Apple has now said that those will be delayed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    I don’t understand how the watch will be able to determine this data, but it’s pretty cool. I love the watch and will definitely be upgrading this year. So far, I’ve had the Series 2 and currently the 4, both Nike editions. So I guess the next logical one should be the 6 😄 

The only thing I don’t like about having an Apple Watch is it’s negative effect on my iPhone batteries. I STILL have to charge my phone every night. I did an experiment recently and shut off Bluetooth entirely for a whole day. The difference is huge! 
    Beats
  • Reply 2 of 23
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    If true this,will be a major smash hit.

I for certain will get one - I’m still on my series zero stainless steel, think I’ll stick with my series zero link bracelet though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    That original Apple Watch, and all models since, have contained the hardware to enable this blood oxygen detection, but it has not been enabled before.
    Does this mean the it will be enabled on all previous watch models? Or perhaps, all models that are able to be upgraded to watchOS 7? My guess is no but I guess we’ll find out.

aderutter said:
    I for certain will get one - I’m still on my series zero stainless steel, think I’ll stick with my series zero link bracelet though.
    When I upgraded to a Series 5 I went with a black watch so it would match my Space Black SS Link Bracelet. They look pretty good together even though they aren’t a perfect match.
    seanjgeorge kaplanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    As a walker and 'fixie' cyclist in my mid-70s (ditched my car a decade ago) I welcome any additional instant and to hand information on my personal health.

That being said, I hope Apple have fixed the "glass face detaching" issue I have experienced twice in the past 9 months on a 42mm Watch 3 due probably to sweating, but not any knocks, rain or water ingress. The first time Apple replaced the Watch, but this time I may try an Apple store in Paris for a quick fix since I'm unsure whether there will be a further 1-year guarantee on their replacement product.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I don’t understand how the watch will be able to determine this data, but it’s pretty cool. I love the watch and will definitely be upgrading this year. So far, I’ve had the Series 2 and currently the 4, both Nike editions. So I guess the next logical one should be the 6 😄 

The only thing I don’t like about having an Apple Watch is it’s negative effect on my iPhone batteries. I STILL have to charge my phone every night. I did an experiment recently and shut off Bluetooth entirely for a whole day. The difference is huge! 

I think much of the user base has to charge their phone every night. Did not notice a difference with battery life on my phone when I got my S4 Watch 2 years ago. BT is always on anyway just so it can connect with the car and the AirPods and a BT speaker.

Personally, I've never been able to get a second day of normal usage out of the battery. Sometimes on a weekend or vacation where I'm not using the phone as much, but never during a normal day. For me, battery improvements need to be in daily increments. Does me no good if I can get a day and half out of the battery.
    fotoformatpatchythepirateGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 23
    That original Apple Watch, and all models since, have contained the hardware to enable this blood oxygen detection, but it has not been enabled before.
    Does this mean the it will be enabled on all previous watch models? Or perhaps, all models that are able to be upgraded to watchOS 7? My guess is no but I guess we’ll find out.

I have the same question. The opening paragraphs seemed to say this would be new to AW6 due to new type of sensor being ordered, then later paragraph said this feature is baked into earlier models, most likely needing new OS to unlock. 

This matters to me because I am of an age where heart-monitoring matters, but my AW4 is fine for me currently. The always-on display doesn’t intrigue me in the slightest. Raising my wrist has always worked, or rolling the crown if I’m making a stealth read while in a meeting. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    mike1 said:

I think much of the user base has to charge their phone every night. Did not notice a difference with battery life on my phone when I got my S4 Watch 2 years ago. BT is always on anyway just so it can connect with the car and the AirPods and a BT speaker.

Personally, I've never been able to get a second day of normal usage out of the battery. Sometimes on a weekend or vacation where I'm not using the phone as much, but never during a normal day. For me, battery improvements need to be in daily increments. Does me no good if I can get a day and half out of the battery.
    I leave my Bluetooth on all the time now too so it does connect when I get in my car. Pre-Apple Watch, I tried only turning it on before getting in the car (sometimes it wouldn’t connect if the car was already started) but kept forgetting. It does take a toll on battery life for me. But, I really do love the watch, so I leave it on. 

And you’re right about the day and a half battery. A lot of times I’d be able to get 2 full days before using Bluetooth all the time, but occasionally, it would turn out to be a day and a half and that’s even more hassle having to charge it in the middle of the day while at work, because I don’t sit at a desk all day. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I can’t wait for this either. Ever since my watch warned me about a high heart rate and I went to the hospital, and my doctors told me that if I didn't get that warning I likely would have had a heart attack in a day or so, I won’t think of anything else. I’ve been getting new ones every year since the second one, and I intend to keep doing that. My wife has one, and so does my daughter. I still use the black link bracelet I bought with my first one, and it’s still in perfect shape, even though I wear it in my shops, with grinding dust and other crap flying around.

considering how well Apple is continuing to do, and will continue to do, the stock keeps rising. I literally can’t buy enough new Apple products to even keep pace with the dividends.
    tmaybageljoeypatchythepirateGeorgeBMacSpamSandwichmacpluspluswatto_cobraMacProjony0
  • Reply 9 of 23
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    This would be a timely addition, since low blood oxygen levels can indicate Covid-19, and stand-alone blood oximeters are cheap but the market is flooded with low quality products from China right now. I bought one via Groupon, which was the only company I’d ever heard of that had them in stock, and it arrived weeks later from China but it didn’t turn on at all. I contacted them and they sent me another, a different model, also defective. Eventually they sent me a third, and that too was defective. I eventually got one from somewhere else that works, but it would have been nicer if it were just built into my watch. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    melgross said:
    I can’t wait for this either. Ever since my watch warned me about a high heart rate and I went to the hospital, and my doctors told me that if I didn't get that warning I likely would have had a heart attack in a day or so, I won’t think of anything else. I’ve been getting new ones every year since the second one, and I intend to keep doing that. My wife has one, and so does my daughter. I still use the black link bracelet I bought with my first one, and it’s still in perfect shape, even though I wear it in my shops, with grinding dust and other crap flying around.

considering how well Apple is continuing to do, and will continue to do, the stock keeps rising. I literally can’t buy enough new Apple products to even keep pace with the dividends.
    True. And hope your health improves.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    It's also a great way to detect if you have apnea while sleeping. 
    BeatsGeorgeBMacfastasleepwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 23

What do you have against odd numbers? lol

I'm actually in exactly the same upgrade cycle.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    mike1 said:
    I don’t understand how the watch will be able to determine this data, but it’s pretty cool. I love the watch and will definitely be upgrading this year. So far, I’ve had the Series 2 and currently the 4, both Nike editions. So I guess the next logical one should be the 6 ߘ䦡mp;nbsp;

Turning off Bluetooth and wifi makes a huge difference. I typically use Airplane Mode as a wireless toggle switch.
    edited July 2020 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 23
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I don’t understand how the watch will be able to determine this data
    It will use the same technology or very nearly so as the hospital pulse oximeters that are clipped to your finger - infrared light beamed into your skin. The oximeter measures how much light is absorbed by the oxygenated blood. This isn't that different from radar or sonar as far as methodology is concerned. You can by standalone oximeters that are very accurate, fairly inexpensively.

It could be just a matter of a software update, or Apple may be using different/improved sensors for this data. Either way, I'd be surprised and impressed if Apple made this available on earlier Watches.

Beats said:
    Turning off Bluetooth and wifi makes a huge difference. I typically use Airplane Mode as a wireless toggle switch.
    Turning on Airplane Mode on the Watch also turns it on in the phone, which I don't care for. I'd like a software option that lets me toggle turn BT and WiFi off, or Airplane Mode on, then automatically turns them on and off respectively, at 0500, as happens on the phone. Otherwise I'm partway through the day before getting that "D'ho!" moment.

I think there's something with the Sleep Tracking coming in watchOS 7 that turns off the display during sleep (very sketchy on the details). That would save some battery life as well. I tried toggling Theater Mode at night. Did I mention "D'oh!" moments? Noticeable improvement in battery life though. :D
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23

What do you have against odd numbers? lol

I'm actually in exactly the same upgrade cycle.
    Haha! I don’t know! My first iPhone was the 4. Before that, I wasn’t completely sold on how “great” everyone was saying the iPhone was. Been obsessed ever since.

Got the 5 and then broke the cycle cause I just had to have TouchID. Then the Plus size phones ever since. But skipped the 8, X and 11 and currently have the XS Max. But I can’t take these huge, heavy phones anymore. I miss the one handed operation of the smaller phones and don’t care for FaceID. I’m buying a 2020 SE this weekend, a black one. Kind of reminds me of the black 4 I had :# Back glass with the mirrored Apple logo. Very slick design. 

I’ve been on the same cycle with the iPad, as well. Starting with the 2 LOL
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    macgui said:
    I don’t understand how the watch will be able to determine this data
    It will use the same technology or very nearly so as the hospital pulse oximeters that are clipped to your finger - infrared light beamed into your skin. The oximeter measures how much light is absorbed by the oxygenated blood. This isn't that different from radar or sonar as far as methodology is concerned. You can by standalone oximeters that are very accurate, fairly inexpensively.

It could be just a matter of a software update, or Apple may be using different/improved sensors for this data. Either way, I'd be surprised and impressed if Apple made this available on earlier Watches.

Beats said:
    Turning on Airplane Mode on the Watch also turns it on in the phone, which I don't care for. I'd like a software option that lets me toggle turn BT and WiFi off, or Airplane Mode on, then automatically turns them on and off respectively, at 0500, as happens on the phone. Otherwise I'm partway through the day before getting that "D'ho!" moment.

I think there's something with the Sleep Tracking coming in watchOS 7 that turns off the display during sleep (very sketchy on the details). That would save some battery life as well. I tried toggling Theater Mode at night. Did I mention "D'oh!" moments? Noticeable improvement in battery life though. :D
    Gotcha. Thanks for explaining that. Very cool, I can’t wait. 

Toggling BT and WiFi and specific times of day would be awesome! I’m surprised they haven’t done that already. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:

True. And hope your health improves.
    Thanks, buddy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

With an LTE capable Apple Watch I can pretty much leave my phone on the charger most of the day and not miss it.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23
    aderutter said:
    If true this,will be a major smash hit.

You will see B I G improvement -- and then have to kick yourself in the butt for not upgrading long ago.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    There are multiple uses for this by different demographics:
    --   Tracking SpO2 levels is important for management of COPD.  As a now retired nurse, it's was often the first thing I looked at (besides the patient himself)
    --   As an endurance runner, the most important thing for performance is VO2Max -- and monitoring SpO2 levels during a run could add a new level to that.
    --   Monitoring SpO2 levels while sleeping could really help in effective sleep monitoring.   (I sleep with my watch and my resting heart rate drops into the low 40's every night.  I'll be interested to see what my SpO2 does.)

And, as others have mentioned, it could also help as an early warning for a Corona Virus infection.   But my understanding is that changes to resting heart rate may give an earlier warning.
    watto_cobra