Google Pixel 4a launch expected on Monday

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Google's rumored Pixel 4a could be made public on Monday, with the search giant preparing to unveil a new smartphone on Monday in the Pixel family, one that could be accompanied by a 5G model.

Google has confirmed that there will be a smartphone launch taking place on August 3. A page on its online store filled with Lorem Ipsum text has a Google logo color puzzle at the top, which then reveals the title of the page as "The Google Just What You've Been Waiting For Phone" and the date August 3.

While the model of smartphone hasn't been confirmed, it seems that the likely candidate for launch will be the Google Pixel 4, an entry-level smartphone that's rumored to offer a fair amount to consumers for relatively little money. In terms of its Apple-based competition, its nearest rival is likely to be the second-generation iPhone SE.

Google Pixel 4a [via <a href=@IshanAgarwal24/Twitter]" height="508" />
Google Pixel 4a [via @IshanAgarwal24/Twitter]

Accompanying images that appear to be similar to what Google itself accidentally leaked for the device in its own online store, Ishan Agarwal posted to Twitter a list of specifications, including its expected price tag of $349 that will connect to 4G LTE networks. A second model, the "Pixel 4a 5G" is mentioned in the same tweet for launch in the fall for $499, alongside the "Pixel 5."

In terms of specifications, the Pixel 4a is thought to have a 5.81-inch OLED display with a punch-hole camera, which earlier rumors claimed had a resolution of 2,340 by 1,080. Powered by a Snapdragon 730G system-on-chip, it is also thought to have 6 gigabytes of memory, 128 gigabytes of storage, and a 3,140mAh battery.

-12.2MP (F/1.7) 77 FOV Dual Pixel Phase Detection Camera w/ OIS
-8MP (F/2) 84 FOV Front Camera
-Upto 4K 30FPS, 1080p 120FPS
-Titan M Security Module
-Availability: U.S, UK, Ireland, Germany, Austrailia, Japan, Canada

Thanks again @samsungbloat for providing this info. pic.twitter.com/sfneH53F7C

-- Ishan Agarwal (@ishanagarwal24)

For the cameras, the back has a 12.2-megapixel sensor with dual pixel phase detection, a 77-degree field of view, optical image stabilization, and is capable of 4K video at 30fps and 1080p at 120fps. On the front will be an 8-megapixel front camera peeking through the punch-hole in the screen, with an 84-degree field of view.

It is claimed Google will be preparing the Pixel 4a for launch in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Australia, and Japan, though a release date is unknown.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Google’s phone group has been struggling, but at least the head of the group was let go recently. Maybe this model will come with fewer unexpected gotchas. 

Google could turn in two directions: Kill the phone products or dedicate to really competing in the market. If they keep going let’s hope they don’t pull a Google (or Samsung) and release 72 models that are all the same yet different. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Spy machines.
    Dogpersonbraytonakrotateleftbytewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    DogpersonDogperson Posts: 145member
    If that was my only smart phone option, I’d get the old dumb slider phone out of the drawer! And it still works. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    4a? So it’s in the alpha stages of release? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    MacPro said:
    Spy machines.
    I once owned an Android device. Well... two actually. An HTC thing and an early Samsung. The sheer amount of network traffic that the Samsung generated was mind blowing. I was trying to debug a server app and Wireshark was showing me all this 'phone home' traffic. That was the end of android for me. Google is a beast that needs huge amounts of data to keep it fed so there is little or no reason to suspect that any phone they release will be any different.
    I'm not paying good money for a device that will almost certainly spy on me.
    Yes, I know that I could root it and load up say LineageOS but... that is as much faff as building a Hackintosh.
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    jungmark said:
    4a? So it’s in the alpha stages of release? 

It's their "iPhone SE".
  • Reply 7 of 17
    MacPro said:
    Spy machines.
    I once owned an Android device. Well... two actually. An HTC thing and an early Samsung. The sheer amount of network traffic that the Samsung generated was mind blowing. I was trying to debug a server app and Wireshark was showing me all this 'phone home' traffic. That was the end of android for me. Google is a beast that needs huge amounts of data to keep it fed so there is little or no reason to suspect that any phone they release will be any different.
    I'm not paying good money for a device that will almost certainly spy on me.
    Yes, I know that I could root it and load up say LineageOS but... that is as much faff as building a Hackintosh.

Get creeped by this:

I was at work and a co-worker mentioned a brand that I have ZERO interest in and never searched for. The Windows machine across the room was on. Next time I hopped on YouTube or a Google Ad site on said machine, I got bombarded with ads from that brand! Never noticed them before. To this day Google thinks I wanna buy crap from that brand.

Scary sh**
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    ednlednl Posts: 61member
    It's not just Lorem Ipsum! They edited it & talk about video chat, low light, bokeh and megapixels and more; can't quite get it all. The google translation isn't all the helpful either:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, ut labore et dolore and vitality, but some important things to do eiusmod video chats. Regional Chanel makeup football macro lowlightena no catch. Blurtutate Bokeham sauce pot but the earth but need a lot of beating. Westinghouse smile at anyone, but that he hated Vulputate. And a lot of megapixels, but the court of the bed, but he wishes to longlasting batter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Not sure if anyone in the Android world is interested in this phone release after so many delays and close to the release of next generation pixel phone. 
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Beats said:

It's their "iPhone SE".
    Nah! It’s their iPhone Wannabe. 
    Fail.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    pichaelpichael Posts: 50member
    That’s a striking resemblance to UK Channel 4’s old logo. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Not sure if anyone in the Android world is interested in this phone release after so many delays and close to the release of next generation pixel phone. 
    The 3a was the more popular last year and no reason to think it would be any different now. It's really a great phone for the masses. I would expect this years 4a to sell relatively well too.  The Pixel 5 not so much unless the pricing changes which would require some rethinking of the hardware. Google actually does very well with software and might not need the latest latest processors to get very good performance of it while introducing some interesting and unique features. I'm sure it's been considered and I won't be shocked to see the new Pixel flagship try to do more with less. 
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 13 of 17
    gatorguy said:
    The 3a was the more popular last year and no reason to think it would be any different now. It's really a great phone for the masses. I would expect this years 4a to sell relatively well too.  The Pixel 5 not so much unless the pricing changes which would require some rethinking of the hardware. Google actually does very well with software and might not need the latest latest processors to get very good performance of it while introducing some interesting and unique features. I'm sure it's been considered and I won't be shocked to see the new Pixel flagship try to do more with less. 

I don't necessarily agree with your assessment on Pixel 5a for few reasons. It is going to launch with SD 730 which is a lower end SoC in terms of performance, that too without 5G capabilities. And for a price around $400, it is going to face stiff competition with almost ALL of the phones in that price range having better performance AND 5G support. To top it, 4GB RAM, 64 GB internal memory, 3000mah battery would not do any favors to Pixel 5a, with competing phones having 6 GB RAM, 128 GB internal memory and 4000+mah battery. It was going to be a hard sell, even if it had launched on-time 4 months ago. With all these delays, I would say the chances of Pixel 5a doing well in a saturated mid-rage Android market is pretty slim.

Edit: I do get that Google gets many things done in software, with less hardware specs, like Apple. But there is a limit to it and raw hardware specs is equally important beyond software optimizations. And in my view, Google has crippled this Pixel 5a beyond redemption.

Edit 2: I read in other sources about base model having 4GB RAM and 64 GB internal memory. But AI article points to 6GB RAM, 128 GB internal memory AND pricetag of $349 (not $399). That would make it more reasonable price for success.

edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    gatorguy said:

I don't necessarily agree with your assessment on Pixel 5a for few reasons. It is going to launch with SD 730 which is a lower end SoC in terms of performance, that too without 5G capabilities. And for a price around $400, it is going to face stiff competition with almost ALL of the phones in that price range having better performance AND 5G support. To top it, 4GB RAM, 64 GB internal memory, 3000mah battery would not do any favors to Pixel 5a, with competing phones having 6 GB RAM, 128 GB internal memory and 4000+mah battery. It was going to be a hard sell, even if it had launched on-time 4 months ago. With all these delays, I would say the chances of Pixel 5a doing well in a saturated mid-rage Android market is pretty slim.

You have your  "facts" confused. About the only thing you had right was the name of the processor. Otherwise:

The name will be the Pixel4a and not 5.
    It will not have the 4GB of RAM you claimed. It will have 6GB
    It will not have the 64GB of internal storage you claimed. It will have 128GB
    It won't have a 3000mAh battery like you said it will. It packs in a 3,140mAh battery along with 18W fast charging. 
    It won't be priced here at the $400 you claim. The price will be $350.

Now what Android phones will you be comparing it with?
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 15 of 17
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

You have your  "facts" confused. About the only thing you had right was the name of the processor. Otherwise:

The name will be the Pixel4a and not 5.
    It will not have the 4GB of RAM you claimed. It will have 6GB
    It will not have the 64GB of internal storage you claimed. It will have 128GB
    It won't have a 3000mAh battery like you said it will. It packs in a 3,140mAh battery along with 18W fast charging. 
    It won't be priced here at the $400 you claim. The price will be $350.

Now what Android phones will you be comparing it with?

I guess you did not see my edits to the above post. I think we are in agreement now.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Dogperson said:
    Beats said:

It's their "iPhone SE".
    Nah! It’s their iPhone Wannabe. 
    Fail.

That's what I said. It's their knockoff iPhone SE.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    gatorguy said:

Edit: I do get that Google gets many things done in software, with less hardware specs, like Apple. But there is a limit to it and raw hardware specs is equally important beyond software optimizations. And in my view, Google has crippled this Pixel 5a beyond redemption.

Edit 2: I read in other sources about base model having 4GB RAM and 64 GB internal memory. But AI article points to 6GB RAM, 128 GB internal memory AND pricetag of $349 (not $399). That would make it more reasonable price for success.

The only thing they had going was their camera, and they don't even have that anymore.

iKnockoffs users praised their camera as some "innovation" and got exposed when a Youtuber praised Pixel but uploaded pictures taken on an iPhone. The iKnockoff users praised iPhone's picture quality as "professional" and "unbelievable" thinking the pics came from a Pixel. LOL
    watto_cobra