Apple's new 27-inch iMac sports 10th gen Intel chips, Nano Texture option

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited August 2020
Apple has unveiled an update to the 27-inch iMac for back-to-school, with 10th generation Intel processors, SSD storage across the board, improved graphics, and Apple's T2 chip.

Apple's 27-inch iMac
Apple's 27-inch iMac

Unveiled on Tuesday, the 27-inch iMac update now eschews the "iMac 5K" branding, and is a specifications bump, and not the long-rumored redesign. The update includes 10th generation processors, starting with a 3.1 GHz six-core i5 processor with boosts up to 4.5 GHz, ranging to a 3.8 GHz, 8-core i7 processor with boosts up to 5.0 GHz. A 10-core 3.6 GHz i9 upgrade is possible, also with boosts up to 5.0 GHz.

Apple claims that when compared to the previous-generation 8-core 27-inch iMac, the new iMac delivers:
  • Up to 65 percent more plug-ins in Logic Pro X.
  • Up to 40 percent faster 8K ProRes transcode in Final Cut Pro X.
  • Up to 35 percent faster rendering with Arnold in Autodesk Maya.
  • Up to 25 percent faster build time in Xcode.
The i5 models are limited to the Radeon Pro 5300 chipset, with 4GB of GDDR6 RAM. The upgraded i7 and i9 models come standard with the Radeon Pro 5500 XT chipset with 8GB of GDDR6 memory. Furthermore, the upgraded models can be upgraded to the Radeon Pro 5700 with 8GB of GDDR6 memory for an additional $300, or the Radeon 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory for $500.

Hard drive-based Fusion drives have been removed from the 27-inch iMac. Storage is 256GB of SSD storage on the low-end, with 512GB available on the mid-range and high-end models. Upgrades up to 8TB are available.

The Nano Texture glass is a $500 upgrade from the base cost of the iMac. A 10-gig Ethernet upgrade is also available for $100.

While the 27-inch iMac retains the same resolution, the display now features Apple's True Tone technology. Additionally, there is a Nano Texture glass option, that was first introduced on the Pro Display XDR. Apple says that the coating results in "extremely low reflectivity and less glare while maintaining stellar image quality and contrast."

Furthermore, the new 27-inch iMac has a 1080p FaceTime camera, versus the 720p on the previous model. As with the MacBook Pro, the T2 processor handles not just security on the 27-inch iMac, but also audio processing.

The ports on the rear of the machine remain the same, with two Thunderbolt 3 ports, four USB 3.2 type A ports, a SD card reader, the Ethernet port, and a headphone jack. Wireless connectivity is also unchanged, with 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 5.0.

The 27-inch iMac refresh is available for order now. Prices range from $1799 for the i5 iMac 5K on the low end, and $2299 for the iMac 5K with i7 processor without upgrades. A completely maxed-out i9 model with the Nano Texture glass, 8TB of SSD storage, and 128GB of RAM retails for $8799 with the vast majority of that cost in RAM and SSD.

2020 iMac deals

Pre-order deals are already going on now, with the new iMacs up to $140 off with exclusive coupon discounts, all of which can be found in the AppleInsider 2020 27-inch Price Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Interesting, a 21" with 8th-gen i7.  We need to know how the thermal performs.

Edit.  Oops, I forgot.  It haven't been updated for too long.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 2 of 72
    BK2KBK2K Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Is the RAM still user upgradeable? Because £600 for 32GB is to put it mildly...”cheeky”.
    caladanianScot1elijahgronndysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 72
    The description of the new iMac strongly suggests that the SSD can not be upgraded by the end user. That is frankly a showstopper for me since the SSD pricing (> $1K for 4TB!!) are easily double what you can buy online. A very disappointing decision on Apple's part.
    ronndysamoriaPeza
  • Reply 4 of 72
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    This is The last intel iMac before the switch, most likely.  

With a T2, I wonder if it’s a rekajiggered iMac Pro inside.   The tear down will tell us.  
    Beatsthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 72
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    tyjon31 said:
    The description of the new iMac strongly suggests that the SSD can not be upgraded by the end user. That is frankly a showstopper for me since the SSD pricing (> $1K for 4TB!!) are easily double what you can buy online. A very disappointing decision on Apple's part.
    Just use the internal SSD for the OS and external SSD drives or network server for actual work. Isn’t that what everyone does?
    Beatsanomemjtomlinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 72
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    BK2K said:
    Is the RAM still user upgradeable? Because £600 for 32GB is to put it mildly...”cheeky”.
    Yes on the 27" models. 8GB (two 4GB) of 2666MHz DDR4 memory; four SO-DIMM slots, user accessible
    Scot1ronndysamoriap-dogRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 72
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    BK2K said:
    And £2600 for 128GB RAM when it can be bought for £500 elsewhere is just silly.

elijahgronndysamoriap-dogPezamuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 72
    Can anyone tell if this new iMac is HDR compatible? And with the presence of the T2 chip, could Apple Pay theoretically be enabled in a software update provided one could securely transmit finger print data (perhaps from a revamped Magic Keyboard down the line?)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 72
    Great machine.  Our 2009 with 2TB HD is still hanging on (fine) for our super-basic use-case of lots of home photos.

Our 2009 iMac (nearly-maxed) was $2600.  I've been watching for years to see when 2TB SSD was near-$2600.

The mid-range 27" with 16GB upgrade and 2TB upgrade is $2800.  With inflation those prices could be very similar.

Like others I'd like to know about upgradeable RAM...

If it wasn't for COVID and job-loss-stress, it would be a serious contender to buy now.  I still like the form factor and won't need the performance benefits of Apple Silicon given our simple uses.

WITH COVID, it's hunker-down and wait.  My industry is long-cycle, and will be strained for some time.  Maybe this iMac can hang on until we see the new form factor.

Cheers!

PS:  Fun update:  Our 2009 iMac is old enough that its Apple-trade-in value is "eligible for Recycling".  Funny.  
    edited August 2020 CluntBaby92ronnmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 72
    Bezel like it's 1999!
    BeatssidricthevikingPeza
  • Reply 11 of 72
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    aderutter said:
    tyjon31 said:
    Just use the internal SSD for the OS and external SSD drives or network server for actual work. Isn’t that what everyone does?
    ...is it ironic that Apple sweats so many minimalist details and yet as suggested limits user flexibility and backups to a clutter of peripherals...?
    For a modest sum dual fusion capable macs could be upgraded to a 1TB SSD and 4TB HD (for internal Time Machine backups) seemingly in keeping with a minimalist design approach...
    edited August 2020 elijahgronndysamoriaPezaentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 72
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    tyjon31 said:
    You can buy a TB3-certified, external case for an NVMe drive for $80 from OWC.  Put whatever SSD you want in it.  A much better proposition than cracking open an iMac.  The drive will run about as fast as what Apple supplies internally.  
    avon b7macintowngregoriusmtenthousandthingsronnmacplusplusrundhvidjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 72
    sflocal said:
    You can buy a TB3-certified, external case for an NVMe drive for $80 from OWC.  Put whatever SSD you want in it.  A much better proposition than cracking open an iMac.  The drive will run about as fast as what Apple supplies internally.  

Exactly!. That's what I have, a small 1 TB ThunderBolt 3 drive mounted using velcro on the back of the iMac. No one can see it and it runs as fast as the internal drive. Sometimes I even forget that is there...
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 72
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Do you know where all these going ? Heavy assaults on Windows to capture more market share to drive service revenue. Future MACs based on Apple Silicon will be better featured, somewhat cheaper(pass Intel->Apple Si savings to customers). In recent months, switching from Windows to MACs have accelerated and will continue for foreseeable future.
    Beatsronnp-dogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 72
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    This thing is a monster! Can't imagine how much better Apple Silicon will be.

Bezel like it's 1999!

2009. But still beautiful and classy. I will miss this iconic design that has made it into cartooons, movies, TV and comics.
    ronnStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 72
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    wood1208 said:
    Do you know where all these going ? Heavy assaults on Windows to capture more market share to drive service revenue. Future MACs based on Apple Silicon will be better featured, somewhat cheaper(pass Intel->Apple Si savings to customers). In recent months, switching from Windows to MACs have accelerated and will continue for foreseeable future.

With all the news about these Macs I'm convinced the future is Mac as even Microsoft is working hard on their Office for Apple Silicon launch. As Microsoft transitions to an office company it makes sense to fully support Apple Silicon. Expect Office to work better on Mac like how Google products work better on iPhone/iPad.

The timing is perfect. Almost divine. 50% of new Macs were purchased by new users. The momentum to Apple Silicon will be incredible. It's as if Apple had a crystal ball with that timing.

Apple will either use the savings per Mac to add features(typicsl Apple) or pass down those savings with less features(doubt it). I think what's more plausible is Apple releasing a a "low end"(hard to call it "low end" when it will still be a beast) version for simple tasks and schools etc. This will put a nail in Windows coffin which has seen the most sales in computers under $1,000. Apple could potentially pull off a basic Mac running A13 for $500.

edited August 2020 p-dogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 72
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Seems strange to add a T2 this late in the game, especially since on the desktops it doesn’t really do much. I doubt they’ve just recycled the iMac Pro logic board as the Xeons are a different beast and would require a lot of engineering to convert the socket to a Core CPU.

I wonder if Apple will use the lack of a T2 chip in future Macs as a reason to drop support. 
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 18 of 72
    Am I missing something?  What is the difference between spending $1799 for the new base model vs $1799 for the current deal from Adorama (using AI's Price Guide):  3.1GHZ vs 3.0GHZ -- big deal -- 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD.  Seems like this is barely an update?
  • Reply 19 of 72
    elijahg said:
    Seems strange to add a T2 this late in the game, especially since on the desktops it doesn’t really do much. I doubt they’ve just recycled the iMac Pro logic board as the Xeons are a different beast and would require a lot of engineering to convert the socket to a Core CPU.

I wonder if Apple will use the lack of a T2 chip in future Macs as a reason to drop support. 
    They are probably leveraging mac mini hardware, although the mac mini has 4 TB3 ports instead of the 2 that the new iMac has (despite the incorrect description in the article).
  • Reply 20 of 72
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    Strange that the new iMac can get the new micro-etched display and 8 TB of flash SSD while the iMac Pro can not.
    watto_cobra