Apple's new 27-inch iMac sports 10th gen Intel chips, Nano Texture option

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    skiwi said:
    elijahg said:
    Seems strange to add a T2 this late in the game, especially since on the desktops it doesn’t really do much. I doubt they’ve just recycled the iMac Pro logic board as the Xeons are a different beast and would require a lot of engineering to convert the socket to a Core CPU.

I wonder if Apple will use the lack of a T2 chip in future Macs as a reason to drop support. 
    Actually the T2 does a lot.  Securing the boot process is a unique differentiator of the Mac across all its forms now. Just look at the firmware hacks for USB & Thunderbolt devices and you see why this is a great feature.  Also, I'd note that the ability to "key" an SSD to the device makes the encryption that much more secure.
    And if you don't need the encryption and/or have your machine physically secure?
  • Reply 62 of 72
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member

DAalseth said:
    mknelson said:
    DAalseth said:
    Nano-Texture Glass.
    Isn’t that just Matte?
    Conveniently explained in the companion article:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/08/04/what-apples-nano-texture-is-and-what-it-brings-to-apples-new-27-inch-imac
    Thanks. I guess I’ll have to see one in person. The explanation sounds more like market-speak than anything else. I’ll have to check it out. 

Hope they make this an option for the iPad Pro though.
    "market-speak"? Maybe you missed this with the XDR, but there are comparisons out there and it's drastic. I've been hoping ever since that the Nano-Texture Glass would trickle down to the rest of the lineup, and hoping this means we'll have the option on our laptops again.

I've missed my 2011 MBP's "Hi-Res Anti-Glare Display" or whatever ever since I upgraded to my 2018. Inside it's fine, but outdoors...
    Yeah the XDR and MacPro were interesting and impressive, but I only skimmed the details. Way way out of my price range or needs. 

I am a bit concerned about the cleaning regimen. Yeah use the super special cloth to gently wipe away the smudges. Really? What if my cat licks the screen? (has happened). What if I cough while eating lunch at my desk and there's a hunk of lasagna on it? (a friend of mine). In the real world computers are in a rough environment. Crap gets on the glass and sometimes Windex is the only thing that will take it off. 

Sounds fine in theory, but I'd probably skip it because in my world stuff happens. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 63 of 72
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    DAalseth said:

DAalseth said:
    mknelson said:
    DAalseth said:
    Nano-Texture Glass.
    Isn’t that just Matte?
    Conveniently explained in the companion article:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/08/04/what-apples-nano-texture-is-and-what-it-brings-to-apples-new-27-inch-imac
    Thanks. I guess I’ll have to see one in person. The explanation sounds more like market-speak than anything else. I’ll have to check it out. 

Hope they make this an option for the iPad Pro though.
    "market-speak"? Maybe you missed this with the XDR, but there are comparisons out there and it's drastic. I've been hoping ever since that the Nano-Texture Glass would trickle down to the rest of the lineup, and hoping this means we'll have the option on our laptops again.

I've missed my 2011 MBP's "Hi-Res Anti-Glare Display" or whatever ever since I upgraded to my 2018. Inside it's fine, but outdoors...
    Yeah the XDR and MacPro were interesting and impressive, but I only skimmed the details. Way way out of my price range or needs. 

I am a bit concerned about the cleaning regimen. Yeah use the super special cloth to gently wipe away the smudges. Really? What if my cat licks the screen? (has happened). What if I cough while eating lunch at my desk and there's a hunk of lasagna on it? (a friend of mine). In the real world computers are in a rough environment. Crap gets on the glass and sometimes Windex is the only thing that will take it off. 

Sounds fine in theory, but I'd probably skip it because in my world stuff happens. 
    Yikes — you really shouldn't use Windex or other ammonia-based cleaners on your Mac screens or monitors, ever.
    StrangeDaysthtroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 72
    rundhvidrundhvid Posts: 122member
    The ports on the rear of the machine remain the same, with four Thunderbolt 3 ports,

Unfortunately there are only two TB3 ports on the iMacs (4 on iMac Pro).

watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Bezel like it's 1999!
    Apple is keeping the new design for the Apple Si models.  Which IMHO makes perfect sense.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 72
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    elijahg said:
    skiwi said:
    elijahg said:
    Seems strange to add a T2 this late in the game, especially since on the desktops it doesn’t really do much. I doubt they’ve just recycled the iMac Pro logic board as the Xeons are a different beast and would require a lot of engineering to convert the socket to a Core CPU.

I wonder if Apple will use the lack of a T2 chip in future Macs as a reason to drop support. 
    Actually the T2 does a lot.  Securing the boot process is a unique differentiator of the Mac across all its forms now. Just look at the firmware hacks for USB & Thunderbolt devices and you see why this is a great feature.  Also, I'd note that the ability to "key" an SSD to the device makes the encryption that much more secure.
    And if you don't need the encryption and/or have your machine physically secure?
    Are you expecting hardware system security features to be user-optional? To what end? Definitely not how Apple rolls. 
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 72
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    mike54 said:
    These pricey computers still with 8gb !! What a joke. At these prices these should come with 16GB RAM. US$200 for 16GB is outrageous.
    Apple has charged more for BTO installed RAM upgrades than I’d like to pay as long as I can remember. Just buy it from Crucial or wherever. 
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 72
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    I was surprised that the low-end 27" model cannot have it's SSD upgraded from 256.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    There are quite a few nice breakout boxes these days both simple I/O solutions and also RAID boxes, OWC has some very impressive solutions.  I especially like this one which is future-proofed (for a while lol): https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/thunderbay-flex-8/thunderbolt-3 ;
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 72
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    sflocal said:
    entropys said:
    sflocal said:
    tyjon31 said:
    The description of the new iMac strongly suggests that the SSD can not be upgraded by the end user. That is frankly a showstopper for me since the SSD pricing (> $1K for 4TB!!) are easily double what you can buy online. A very disappointing decision on Apple's part.
    You can buy a TB3-certified, external case for an NVMe drive for $80 from OWC.  Put whatever SSD you want in it.  A much better proposition than cracking open an iMac.  The drive will run about as fast as what Apple supplies internally.  
    Sure you can. In fact I did the same and use the external SSD as the boot drive. That isn’t the point. We buy a beautiful iMac for its design perfection with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to minimise cable clutter..

Then hang an external SSD off it, ruining that beauty. All because Apple overcharges for storage it has made too hard for a user to replace.
    I don't "hang" an SSD off of my iMac.  I have an external SSD drive enclosure on the back of my iMac attached with velcro to the back of my iMac stand.  I don't even see it back there.  

I get what you're saying.  It goes back to the same, tired debate.  Most people will never upgrade the internals of their computers once they purchase them.  Those that do represent such a ridiculously small percentage of users, that Apple doesn't see it beneficial to include any additional engineering to support those that want to upgrade internals.  

TB3 solves that.  The SSD enclosures are so small - like the ones from OWC - that it's moot.  It is not the big deal that everyone is making them out to be.

My biggest surprise is that so many people still don't get Apple's long tradition of pricing for most of their computer platforms from Mac to iPhone & iPad :

Subsidize the entry level machines to try and be a bit more competitive while catching up with the higher margin upgrades, classic.

For those who just want an all out BTO machine and are uncomfortable, unwilling or just unaware of third party upgrade options, this is a win-win for them and Apple. For those who want the best bang for your buck, buy entry level and go third party upgrades, another win. And as you point out, TB3 makes external SSDs not a big deal.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 72
    MacPro said:
    There are quite a few nice breakout boxes these days both simple I/O solutions and also RAID boxes, OWC has some very impressive solutions.  I especially like this one which is future-proofed (for a while lol): https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/thunderbay-flex-8/thunderbolt-3 ;
    Your link had a few extra characters in it, but I think this is the one you were referring to?:
    https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/thunderbay-flex-8/thunderbolt-3

Also, for those wanting to stick a small SSD on the back, I saw OWC has this new $75 TB3 enclosure only for NVMe that is pretty slick (but only on pre-order now). A neat bracket, so no velcro required (although their example sticking it to a laptop is a little weird):
    https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/envoy-express/thunderbolt-3

edited August 2020 watto_cobra