War on Terror: Most important elements

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I was looking for "Regime change in USA"...

So was I. Butterflies will fly... butterflies will fly...

I voted for Finding Bin Laden, remembering that's what Bush promised to do, "We will hunt him down in the caves... blah, blah, blah..." Unable to accomplish that, I guess he went for the easier option. Fair enough.

Heaven help us.

- T.I.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    My preferred choice is not available. Ideally we would have a nuclear holocaust leaving only America still standing.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    NEW POLL: WHAT IS TWO PLUS TWO?
    • 1. Seven

2. Ménage Ã* trois

3. Regime change

4. 10.2.5

5. UhhhhÂ?.regime change?

• Reply 24 of 41
    How about people try to analyze what terrorism means?

hint: a little self-reflection might be useful in the exercise.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Good question. To me, terrorism means using an act of violence or a plausible threat of violence against innocent civilians to force an adversary to accept your demands or as an act of revenge.

A good effort at a definition. The interesting thing about your definition is that it certainly leaves very few parties/states untouched. In other words, there are very few parties/states who can't have fingers pointed at them.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    man, all of you are off topic from the thread title.

the most important elements in the War on Terror are

this one and this one
  • Reply 27 of 41
    mrbilldatamrbilldata Posts: 489member
    Terrorism is War that isn't played with acceptable rules by the person or people it is being waged on.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Root causes?

This is to answer both you and Groverat.

I do not know for sure what hte root causes are, but the BS about Israel/Palestine is not where it is at. Also, since terrorists are not typically beholden to any one leader a regime change is not, to me, going have an appreciable effect in the long term.

If Israel allows the creation of a Palestinian State, I believe that in the short term you will see a slowing of terrorism in Israel. Not a complete stop. But you have that also when Israel occupies Gaza et al with troops. So the creation of the Palestinian state would seem to be the preferable option, until you start to look at the long term, and then things become very fuzzy. I do not think that the peace would last.

The religion of the terrorists is obviously a root cause of the terrorism, but there is nothing that a government can do about it. I do not advocate the killing of any person based on religious choice. Beyond that, I do not think that terrorism will ever end so long as there are Islamic Fundamentalist Extremists that take the Koran at its word that there can be no peace until the whole world bows to Islam. If you want a short term victory I guess that peace will be achieved for a few years with the creation of a Palestinian state. However, once that happens, all bets are off.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Terrorism will stop when the people committing it have an interest in stability. Stability comes from a liberal democracy and a free market, in a region with other liberal democracies and free markets.

Any regime change in itself does nothing - it depends on what comes after. What if there was a regime change in Iraq from Saddam to Uday? Or in Saudi Arabia from Saud to bin Laden?
  • Reply 30 of 41
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

How about people try to analyze what terrorism means?

hint: a little self-reflection might be useful in the exercise.

Terrorism is whatever the conquering/oppressing nation says it is.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 31 of 41
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Hmmmm? It seems more people see peace as more important.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Terrorism is whatever the conquering/oppressing nation says it is.

Cheers

Scott

Bingo
  • Reply 33 of 41
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

man, all of you are off topic from the thread title.

the most important elements in the War on Terror are

this one and this one

curiousuburb you absolutely have a point here. But the problem is that people only consider nuclear weapons a terrorist threat in the hands of "terrorists." Now, who do you think these "terrorists" might be? Hmmm?

ps. I like your wordplay on "elements"!
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

I would say ha-ha but based on your opinions there's a chance you just might actually think this way. Glad you're not in a position of power.

I was not aware that anyone on this message board had even a cursory knowledge of my opinions. Which of my opinions has led you to speculate that I "just might actually think this way"?
  • Reply 35 of 41
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

Bingo

Reminded me of something I wrote in July '02 on my old blogger blog. I argued that there is no such thing as terrorism.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 36 of 41
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Usually I've heard that solving the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is the source to the problem, but even two years ago some were claiming that Iraq is the real source of unrest in the Mid-East. Since we've gone down the road of attacking Iraq, how in the long run does this help us more than solving the Israeli/Palestinian conflict?

I'm not looking for reasons to justify or crucify the war, I'm just looking past the war to when it's over and Saddam is gone. What effect is that really going to have on the region?
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I'm not looking for reasons to justify or crucify the war, I'm just looking past the war to when it's over and Saddam is gone. What effect is that really going to have on the region?

No one really knows. Least of all the Bush adminstration. Ah well...

- T.I.