First macOS Big Sur, fourth iOS 14 & iPadOS 14 public betas now available

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Thursday released the first public beta of macOS Big Sur and the fourth iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 betas to the public software testing program.

First macOS Big Sur public beta available
First macOS Big Sur public beta available

While iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 is in its fourth public beta release, this is the first time macOS Big Sur has been available to the public. Sign up for the Apple Beta Software Program on the website.

The latest iOS and iPadOS updates include new widgets for the TV app and the return of the Weather widget. Exposure notification also gets its own menu in the Settings app.

The macOS Big Sur public beta should reflect the same build as the fourth developer beta released on Wednesday. The biggest changes in macOS are in its design, with rounded windows and more transparency throughout. This beta also enables 4K playback of YouTube videos for the first time when using Safari.

Apple has not released the public beta for watchOS 7 yet.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly recommend users don't install the betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, as there is the remote possibility of data loss or other issues. Instead, testers should install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to make sure there are sufficient backups of important data before updating.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member
    Installing on my iPad now. Preparing has been going for a while.

Update...
    Preparing update took over one hour.  The file for my iPad (6th gen) was less than 500 mb.
    Now installation is dragging along-10 minutes and counting now.

Update 2...
    Bar completed and then screen flashed and now bar starts again. Finally finished after 15 minutes.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 2 of 11
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Finally, Big Sur.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    New SE here, again had long upgrade time, with “Attempting Data Recovery.”
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Can't download in New Zealand for some reason, have tried on both my MacMini and MacBook Pro and both say there is no updates available.
    Might try again a bit later in the day. Damn, was looking forward to having a play over the weekend.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Can't download in New Zealand for some reason, have tried on both my MacMini and MacBook Pro and both say there is no updates available.
    Might try again a bit later in the day. Damn, was looking forward to having a play over the weekend.
    You have to sign up for the beta program and install the profile on your Mac first 
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 6 of 11
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Clean install of Big Sur is >12GB. My gig connection said 4-5 hrs so cancelled and will try tonight. 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    The iOS 14 betas have put my iPhone 8 into a endless boot loop three different times. 

I’ll skip this iOS version, but I’m curious about installing Big Sur on my external SSD to try it. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    And still no watchos 7 public beta. Wondering what’s the problem
  • Reply 9 of 11
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Is that big green battery eye sore still in the Energy Saver System Preferences? 
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Ok. I have a 2018 iPad Pro 11" and just downloaded the latest Public Beta 4 for iPadOS14.  I am unable to add widgets to the home screen but can see them in the slide over area on the left.  Am I missing something obvious?  Thanks for any advice...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Ok. I have a 2018 iPad Pro 11" and just downloaded the latest Public Beta 4 for iPadOS14.  I am unable to add widgets to the home screen but can see them in the slide over area on the left.  Am I missing something obvious?  Thanks for any advice...
    Use the Feedback Assistant to view release notes.  They explain a lot of what works and more importantly, what doesn't work (yet).

Widgets
    Known Issues
    • All widgets must be rebuilt using the iOS & iPadOS 14 beta 4 SDK and won't run on previous versions of iOS & iPadOS 14 beta. (65290210)

• Some widgets might appear blank after updating to iOS & iPadOS 14 beta 4. (65989369)

Workaround: Remove the affected widgets and then add them again.

• When set to My Location, the Weather widget might display weather for a different location. (65733006)

• The weather widget might take longer than expected to display data. (66014597)

• Some widgets might disappear from your Home Screen after updating to iOS & iPadOS 14 beta 2 or later. (64823469)

Workaround: Add the missing widgets back to your Home Screen.

• Fonts size currently doesn't adjust automatically for different device sizes. (60348216)

• Widgets aren't blocked for Screen Time when their parent app is blocked. (60747373)

• WidgetKit extensions can continue to access location services for up to 15 minutes after being viewed if their app has been granted While Using the App location access. (62888317)

• You can't resize an existing widget. (63500799)

Workaround: Remove the widget and re-add it at the desired size.

• You might need to reconfigure your widgets after updating to iOS & iPadOS 14 Beta 3 or later. (65485709)

Resolved in iOS & iPadOS 14 beta 4
    • The Quick Actions menu no longer appears behind the widget overlay. (64456466)

• The conditions displayed in the Weather widget now match the conditions displayed in the Weather app. (64948860)

• Entries provided by placeholder(with:) now have a redactedmodifier applied automatically. (65040472)

• When indicating a significant change in temperature for the next day, the Weather widget no longer displays temperatures in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit. (65061840)