Apple unveils plans to ditch Intel chips in Macs for 'Apple Silicon'

1121314151618»

Comments

• Reply 341 of 342
    I think one small concern I have is, whether people will still have the option of installing 3rd Party Software, outside of the Mac App Store.  I understand locking down apps to only the Store on the iOS and iPadOS devices, but the Mac is a full computer, and I don't know how happy people would be if they can't install their "favorite apps", even if they've been updated to run on Apple Silicon, just because they may not be allowed into the Mac App Store.  Basically, I'm hoping they will still give their users the choice to install Apps, from outside of the App Store, even if that option is "locked" to only the Mac/MacOS.
  • Reply 342 of 342
    XedXed Posts: 2,546member
    I think one small concern I have is, whether people will still have the option of installing 3rd Party Software, outside of the Mac App Store.  I understand locking down apps to only the Store on the iOS and iPadOS devices, but the Mac is a full computer, and I don't know how happy people would be if they can't install their "favorite apps", even if they've been updated to run on Apple Silicon, just because they may not be allowed into the Mac App Store.  Basically, I'm hoping they will still give their users the choice to install Apps, from outside of the App Store, even if that option is "locked" to only the Mac/MacOS.
    macoS is macoS. Switching from Intel to Apple Silicon doesn't change this, just as the architecture didn't change how apps are installed with Motorola to PPC and PPC to Intel. 

To put it another way, Apple could've done this under any other architecture and has not so don't worry about it now.