TikTok 'shocked' by US executive order and impending ban

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Tariffs flopped so this is the substitute for "getting tough" with China apparently.
    In what way did they “flop” exactly? China is clearly getting quite desperate with their increased propaganda, spying and attempts to influence the election.
    Realistically speaking Trump claimed trade wars were good and easy to win. You would have thought at this point it would be over if that were true. Clearly it isn't. 

The tool to win the war was tariffs and most industry watchers have made it clear that China hasn't really been paying them. US citizens have borne the brunt. 

China, in tit for tat measures, manoeuvred to lower tariffs on countries who could supply its needs, plunging industries like US agriculture to the brink of economic collapse.

In an attempt to get something, anything, to talk about, Trump lauded the phase 1 deal which didn't even include any obligations on China's part to fulfil commitments to anything included in it. Now, Trump is basically saying that deal is not worth the paper it's written on. 

From the get go China made it clear that they were in this for the long haul and would suffer but, at the same time, resist and wait things out.

As elections approach and Trump has little cause to celebrate anything, time is not on his side and we are seeing actions like those against Huawei and Byte Dance and Tencent look evermore desperate. All the while, China is basically doing nothing.

As he said the trade war was easy to win and he very much hasn't won anything (he has actually caused great harm to US interests), saying he flopped makes a lot of sense. 

China should have pulled into line long ago under such pressure but it's clear they haven't. 

Avon - One thing I would like to remind you whenever the discussion is on politics - FACTS do NOT matter to majority of the people. All they need is - Catchy phrases that they can connect with and repeat shamelessly even if they are blatant lies. On that count - Trump seems to be playing PERFECTLY to the gallery, i.e. his supporters. So it is quite possible that Trump wins one more term and cause more harm to the entire world with his shenanigans.

Why do i say this? - I have seen the exact same thing played out in my country (India) where right wing extremists won 2nd term on the basis of lies after lies. And majority of the people were more than happy to hear those lies day in, day out and voted the same party to power last year.

This is true and it is worrying to a point but I think there will be part of the base support which will have no alternative but to look at how things have played and why, and begin to question some if the more blatant claims that have been made along the way. 

A lot of farms have gone out of business and although the agricultural sector has seen billions injected to keep it afloat (twice) some producers are saying they don’t want handouts, they want to sell their harvests. That is where Trump supposedly has a lot of support. 

The COVID-19 response has largely been criticised worldwide. 

The trade war is ongoing and looking far from over. 

The hurricane season is looking like a nasty one this year.

California seems to have a perpetual problem with wildfires. 

The Black Lives Matter protests are ongoing. 

Not to mention that he was actually impeached. 

I would like to think that even the most fervent Trump supporter may stand back and reflect a bit on where the US is, how it got there and where it is going. 

If a small fraction of his supporters drop support, things might change. 

Actions often speak louder than words and the entire world saw what the US response was to COVID-19. The term 'America First' took a dramatic new twist with US officials literally trying to get results through hard cash. To the point of allies complaining that the US was trying to divert their already purchased medical equipment into US hands by offering big dollars. A similar approach has been seen with vaccine purchases. 

This has not sat well with foreign powers who were never even in favour of Trump from the start. 

Frankly the list of questionable responses to various fronts is growing daily. 

I know that a lot of his supporters are not aware of any of this but it would only take a fraction to change their opinion for, perhaps, change to occur. 
    I don’t give two shits what are the opinions of “the world” or China. Neither should any American.
    Our alliances with our allies and the promotion of democratic values have been key to our success for 75-years. Alone, we would find ourselves in dire straits.
    Xedcommand_fFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 22 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    avon b7 said:
    Tariffs flopped so this is the substitute for "getting tough" with China apparently.
    In what way did they “flop” exactly? China is clearly getting quite desperate with their increased propaganda, spying and attempts to influence the election.
    Realistically speaking Trump claimed trade wars were good and easy to win. You would have thought at this point it would be over if that were true. Clearly it isn't. 

The tool to win the war was tariffs and most industry watchers have made it clear that China hasn't really been paying them. US citizens have borne the brunt. 

China, in tit for tat measures, manoeuvred to lower tariffs on countries who could supply its needs, plunging industries like US agriculture to the brink of economic collapse.

In an attempt to get something, anything, to talk about, Trump lauded the phase 1 deal which didn't even include any obligations on China's part to fulfil commitments to anything included in it. Now, Trump is basically saying that deal is not worth the paper it's written on. 

From the get go China made it clear that they were in this for the long haul and would suffer but, at the same time, resist and wait things out.

As elections approach and Trump has little cause to celebrate anything, time is not on his side and we are seeing actions like those against Huawei and Byte Dance and Tencent look evermore desperate. All the while, China is basically doing nothing.

As he said the trade war was easy to win and he very much hasn't won anything (he has actually caused great harm to US interests), saying he flopped makes a lot of sense. 

China should have pulled into line long ago under such pressure but it's clear they haven't. 
    Fail #2 North Korea is still has and is building nuclear weapons.

Fail #3 Border wall is still incomplete and Mexico didn’t pay for it.
    No sweat. He’ll have four more years to get the rest of those things completed. And don’t forget about replacing Ruth on the Supreme Court and ending the disastrous ACA.
    cat52razorpit
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Foreign national security risks don’t get “due process”. They get kicked out.
    Yeah they do, read a book. 
  • Reply 24 of 41
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Avon - One thing I would like to remind you whenever the discussion is on politics - FACTS do NOT matter to majority of the people. All they need is - Catchy phrases that they can connect with and repeat shamelessly even if they are blatant lies. On that count - Trump seems to be playing PERFECTLY to the gallery, i.e. his supporters. So it is quite possible that Trump wins one more term and cause more harm to the entire world with his shenanigans.

Why do i say this? - I have seen the exact same thing played out in my country (India) where right wing extremists won 2nd term on the basis of lies after lies. And majority of the people were more than happy to hear those lies day in, day out and voted the same party to power last year.

This is true and it is worrying to a point but I think there will be part of the base support which will have no alternative but to look at how things have played and why, and begin to question some if the more blatant claims that have been made along the way. 

A lot of farms have gone out of business and although the agricultural sector has seen billions injected to keep it afloat (twice) some producers are saying they don’t want handouts, they want to sell their harvests. That is where Trump supposedly has a lot of support. 

I would like to think that even the most fervent Trump supporter may stand back and reflect a bit on where the US is, how it got there and where it is going. 

Actions often speak louder than words and the entire world saw what the US response was to COVID-19. The term 'America First' took a dramatic new twist with US officials literally trying to get results through hard cash. To the point of allies complaining that the US was trying to divert their already purchased medical equipment into US hands by offering big dollars. A similar approach has been seen with vaccine purchases. 

This has not sat well with foreign powers who were never even in favour of Trump from the start. 

I know that a lot of his supporters are not aware of any of this but it would only take a fraction to change their opinion for, perhaps, change to occur. 
    I don’t give two shits what are the opinions of “the world” or China. Neither should any American.
    Our alliances with our allies and the promotion of democratic values have been key to our success for 75-years. Alone, we would find ourselves in dire straits.
    Keep telling yourself that. America was instrumental in helping end WWII and prevented a complete takeover of Europe by Germany.
    cat52razorpit
  • Reply 25 of 41
    RichieCA said:
    I am shocked too... this is unprecedented. There is no reason or justification other than hey, these apps are from a Chinese company.

Not from the government of China, not from a company owned by the government of China, just from a private business which, by the way, even offered their source code to be audited.

Expect China to reciprocate with the banning of legitimate USA apps just for being from the USA.

Not good. Not wise. Not just.

Chinese companies are owned by the Chinese government.

You either have no idea or you are not very adept to checking facts that contradict your thoughts, right?

Maybe both.

Even Sequoia Capital is an investor in the company.  Oh, maybe Sequoia is also owned by the Chinese government.

Xed
  • Reply 26 of 41
    kmareikmarei Posts: 179member
    avon b7 said:

China always has a huge advantage over the US
    the Chinese political system will always outlast any US president
    US presidents come and go
    But the communist party remains, sure faces change, but the system remains in power
    if you don’t believe me, ask Fidel Castro :)
    tons of sanctions, by numerous US presidents
    and he still remained in power .

my conspiracy theory is zuckerberg  might have something to do with this
    i let your negative inflammatory statements stay on FB
    and you take out tiktok, which is the biggest threat to instagram

• Reply 27 of 41
    kmareikmarei Posts: 179member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Ignorance much ?
    commentzillaFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 28 of 41
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Keep telling yourself that. America was instrumental in helping end WWII and prevented a complete takeover of Europe by Germany.

I was talking about the post-war period. But if we’re taking about World War II, our alliances were still key to winning the war. If the Soviet Union had fell in 1941 or 1942, we’d all be speaking German and Japanese now.  

The war turned well before the the first of our troops landed In Africa, much less Europe. This doesn’t in any way diminish our contribution to the defeat of Germany but without Russia Europe as we know it today would not exist.

We were a key part of a broad alliance that included many other nations, and  this success played out again in the West during the Cold War with NATO and SETO. We never did it alone, we always had help. That’s our strength, cooperation through alliances .

command_fFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 29 of 41
    castcorecastcore Posts: 141member
    Wait a second, isn’t Facebook, Google and Twitter banned by China for several years? And now Tik Tok cannot be banned? They don’t have to sell to Microsoft, it was given to them as an option to get something before the ban! Trump has been much better to Tik Tok than China to Facebook and Twitter!

Have people forgotten China banned Facebook and Google  for no reason?
    cat52SpamSandwichcommand_fwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 30 of 41
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 131member
    The new Executive Order also follows US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's announcement of plans to create a "clean network," free of "untrusted Chinese apps."
    To put it succinctly: GASLIGHTING!
  • Reply 31 of 41
    This is nothing to do with US security or anything else  like that.  This is Trump not liking what Tim-Tok does.  As always he just signs an executive order: no discussion, not debate, no vote.  I am sure China is a bit more tech-savvy than getting some names and addresses of private individuals who post generally silly short videos.  If China wants to obtain US secrets it will do so by other means, probably by hacking into the Chinese made computer systems at the the Government, CIA, FBI and anywhere else it chooses.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 41
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

I was talking about the post-war period. But if we’re taking about World War II, our alliances were still key to winning the war. If the Soviet Union had fell in 1941 or 1942, we’d all be speaking German and Japanese now.  

The war turned well before the the first of our troops landed In Africa, much less Europe. This doesn’t in any way diminish our contribution to the defeat of Germany but without Russia Europe as we know it today would not exist.

We were a key part of a broad alliance that included many other nations, and  this success played out again in the West during the Cold War with NATO and SETO. We never did it alone, we always had help. That’s our strength, cooperation through alliances .
    raulcristiancommand_fFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 33 of 41

Well, how much did the tariffs help? It's like Mexico paying for the wall. Just a distraction and an utter failure
    It is pretty rich of the US accusing someone else of trying to influence their election considering that’s what they have been doing for decades around the world with more or less dirty means (Shah Reza Pahlevi in Iran together with the Brits, numerous central American countries, Marcos in the Philippines etc etc.). Better not to complain when sitting in the glasshouse.
    Also interesting that the talk is only about Chinese influence while the Russians are much more aggressive and offensive...

Xedmuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 34 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I am shocked too... this is unprecedented. There is no reason or justification other than hey, these apps are from a Chinese company.

Not from the government of China, not from a company owned by the government of China, just from a private business which, by the way, even offered their source code to be audited.

Expect China to reciprocate with the banning of legitimate USA apps just for being from the USA.

This is so wrong I don’t even know where to begin. I guess I’ll start with the fact that there is virtually no difference between the communist party of china and “private“ companies in China.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    It’s unfortunate the thread has devolved into a partisan one.  This is a relatively bipartisan issue, so I don’t think the company is really going to get anywhere.  More then likely they’ll be bought by a U.S. company.  Like him or not, Trump is really good at using leverage to get what he wants. We are seeing that now with the debate on payroll taxes and a second stimulus.  He threatens executive action to pressure Congress.  Here though, he very likely has authority on national security grounds.  Here though, he very likely has authority on national security grounds. 
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 41

Well, how much did the tariffs help? It's like Mexico paying for the wall. Just a distraction and an utter failure
    It is pretty rich of the US accusing someone else of trying to influence their election considering that’s what they have been doing for decades around the world with more or less dirty means (Shah Reza Pahlevi in Iran together with the Brits, numerous central American countries, Marcos in the Philippines etc etc.). Better not to complain when sitting in the glasshouse.
    Also interesting that the talk is only about Chinese influence while the Russians are much more aggressive and offensive...

Because you obviously haven’t been paying attention, the current President has openly criticized both Democrats and Republicans who have pushed interventionist policies and endless wars. He is (thankfully) nothing like any of his predecessors.
    razorpit
  • Reply 37 of 41

sdw2001 said:

This is so wrong I don’t even know where to begin. I guess I’ll start with the fact that there is virtually no difference between the communist party of china and “private“ companies in China.
    Accurate. I’ve been there numerous times and have seen for myself the types of business arrangements they have. Mind you, I am very sympathetic to the average person in China. Their system crushes dissent, so the people engage in business practices which would shock outsiders so they can just barely make a living.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 41
    sdw2001 said:

There is virtually no difference between your sentence and a random comment generated by a broken machine.
    Xed
  • Reply 39 of 41
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member

This must be a joke?  "Not just"...that gave me a good laugh.  Legitimate USA apps and services are already banned in China.  
    edited August 2020 razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 41
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    sdw2001 said:

There is virtually no difference between your sentence and a random comment generated by a broken machine.
    You sound like you have no clue how a Communist government works. I have a clue because I was born in one.   Try Wikipedia.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra